Author Topic: For you flyboys: Large collection of antique aviation engines and parts  (Read 1177 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Found on Facebook Marketplace:

Large collection of antique aviation engines and parts.
Essex, MD · 20 hours ago

(1) Complete Curtiss OXX5   engine
(4) Franklin engines
(2) Continental engines
(1) VW engine
Plus many, many extra parts for Curtiss OX5 & OX6,  Franklin, Continental, and Lycoming engines.
Carbs, starters,magnetos, lower cases, tooling, gauges, propellers, wings, body parts, landing skies, literature and memorabilia, etc..too much to list.
I originally posted this stuff a little over a year ago, then my son was in a near fatal car accident and everything in my life came to a screaming stop.
I’m back on track and I need to sell these parts.  I purchased a shop that was previously owned by an old aviation mechanic that passed away.
I am not an aviation mechanic but I am doing my best to accurately identify all items and to answer all your questions.  I am willing to sell items individual but I am really trying to find a collector that would  like to make an offer for everything.  Please, serious inquires only through private message.  Thank you. Ken Ellison, Middle River, MD.

Charlie

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
A friend is always looking for an inverted 4 or 6 cyl. air cooled Ranger engine.
Too much to hope for? Anyone?  R3~   

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
A Ranger should be findable - they made a lot of them. 

The Continentals pictured look like later flange crank A-65s... or maybe C-85s.  the latter are worth a lot more.  These remain a mainstream engine flown every day and are believe it or not completely rebuildable from the form shown.

Franklins are good engines still used in Stinsons etc.  Parts are hard to get and you can see one of these has been picked over for cylinders.  Good parts engines at least, possibly rebuildable.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
I suugest you contact Kermit Weeks/fantasy of flight, if they don't want it they propbably know someone who does.

Wildguzzi.com

Rough Edge racing

Damn, I could use one of those Curtiss OX-5's for a project home built special car I have been planning for years...I'm afraid to ask the price so I won't..

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
Which is the engine in the 1st pic with the exposed valve springs? Might be an irrational fear, but I can't imagine the size of the balls needed to climb into a plane back in the day with those rockers whirring way...I guess that's how you learned to REALLY fly an aircraft.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Which is the engine in the 1st pic with the exposed valve springs? Might be an irrational fear, but I can't imagine the size of the balls needed to climb into a plane back in the day with those rockers whirring way...I guess that's how you learned to REALLY fly an aircraft.

Curtiss OX-5. This 1928 Kreider-Reisner KR-31 at the Hagerstown Aviation Museum has one hiding under the bonnet.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:36:46 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
Curtiss OX-5

Ya I kinda figured that first was the Curtiss...  All i know is that would looks pretty wild in a period style track roadster!
Paul B

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero

Pressure lubed top ends didn't become common until the 30s. You have to travel with a grease gun in your tool kit. Yes, you need a tool kit.. :smiley: but that was and to some extent still is part of being a pilot.
You have to remember, this stuff was state of the art when it was built. No need for bigger cajones then it is now climbing into a "modern" airplane.
In comparison, consider the technical differences between a 20s-30s aircraft compared to the same era tractor or car. The Curtiss engines were *very* good. Somebody wants the OX5. Many still fly regularly..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

As I mentioned I have been looking for a vintage aircraft engine for a "special" ,primitive sports car...I would prefer a JAP air cooled V8 but they are very rare...The Curtiss OX5's seem to priced between 10-20 grand depending on condition..I've read a lot about them and it seems they had a reputation that wasn't the best, especially the magneto...But it can be and was fixed....For vehicle use the engine can be reved higher than aircraft use...The engine is a reasonable 400 or so pounds..

Here is a special with a JAP WW1 areo engine......

This is beyond cool without resorting to gigantic freak show vehicles you may see with aero engines.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:46:42 AM by Rough Edge racing »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here