Author Topic: What's your "Riding Philosophy"?  (Read 8630 times)

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
Re: What's your "Riding Philosophy"?
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2019, 03:46:16 PM »
My philosophy is simply BE SEEN, BE SEEN, BE SEEN!!!

Offline jGuz

• New Egg
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2019, 09:25:59 AM »
Have fun, don't crash.

Also, any amount of time spent lost on a motorcycle is still time on a motorcycle, which is time well spent.
2019 Triumph Speed Twin
2015 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
2001 Ducati 748 (work in progress)

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2019, 09:57:08 AM »
Don't be the second guy to hit a skunk.  The first guy won't get sprayed but the second guy will.
I don't think that's my total philosophy ,  maybe it's just a good rule.  It been interesting to note that at some point during a lifetime of riding,  some of us,  myself included,  will get addicted and for years will ride as much as possible.
Guzzis lend themselves well for that,  there are a few others that do it for me,  the youthful exuberance of twisting the throttle is what I crave. It's also the feeling of a task accomplished, successfully completing a ride that I would not even remember had I been in a car.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »
completing a ride that I would not even remember had I been in a car.

That right there.  :smiley: I certainly don't know why.. maybe a "heightened sense of awareness" when riding, but I can remember vignettes of things I've seen from bike trips 20 or more years ago.  At my age, yesterday is mostly lost in the fog..  :rolleyes:
And, after all, if you don't remember a day, what is the point in living it?  :evil: :grin:
Therefore.. ride more.  :boozing: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »

Offline invicta1

• New Egg
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2019, 08:58:15 PM »
Everyone is out to kill me. 

I do wish to arrive alive first and foremost (I do commute on bike a lot), and had a bad accident when I was 16.  None since, and I ride like a madman sometimes, but maintain hypervigilant situational awareness when others are around me, especially in cars.  They are out to kill me. 

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2019, 12:32:45 PM »
Riding philosophy ...........i really dont have one as such .....i do say out loud before a tour 'let the adventure begin'  and as others have said its about the journey and not the destination .
I do know that i would be less of a man , without a motorcycle in my life and that travelling alone is for me ideal .i have met some of the best people riding motorcycles of which most know and would share the passion of it with anyone that would listen .
I retire next year 2020 and the adventure of life will be extraordinary ...especially when riding a motorcycle .

smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
I have a pretty bad bone bruise on my ribs. Dr. said take it easy 2-3 weeks. Yesterday the clouds cleared, the sun came and the temps climbed into the low 60’s. As soon as I got outta work I went home, got the bike and headed east. My wife said I probably shouldn’t have but I said at 55 there are only so many warm spring days left and I didn’t wanna waste one taking it easy!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:42:20 PM by oilhed »
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2019, 12:08:13 PM »
It started with the 150 Honda Dream in 1966, and except for a few years, always had a bike. Decided the Virago wasn't practical in rainy old Portland and sold it in 89. A year later the R90 showed up and have been riding year-round ever since. Guess I wasn't thinking straight - the Yamaha just didn't ring my chimes and that's why it went.

My philosophy? Do what feels good. What feels right. When you like something, if it enhances survival, you can't OD. Either I'll burn out, or it just keeps getting better. And so it is with riding - it just keeps getting better.

Of course, that has to dovetail with another one of my philosophies: go for the maximum fun in life. I'm sure you know what I mean - you can't just play all the time, so do whatcha gotta, what needs doing, and then open up the biggest slot possible for play.

So in this case, twisting the throttle all the way open and going for it, only gets a short bit of fun till either the MAN stops you or some road hazard permanently puts an end to it.

Another part of my philosophy is to take good care of myself physically, mentally and spiritually so I'm 'all there' in the moment able to respond to any hazard that might pop up.

As for the bikes - simple is the word and that's one of the reasons I like these older guzzis. I'd rather do things myself than have them automatically taken care of for me. Confront the weather and experience it rather than sit in a climate controlled cage. If I'm cold, add layers. If hot, soak the T and open vents. Just confront it!

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2019, 03:01:28 PM »
I'm in the same boat as tomorrow is not a given. My Dad , gone 17 years now always told me do it now or you gonna be like me when you get my age and not feel like doing it anymore. I know he wished he would have fulfilled his bucket list before his health went south. I'm leaving the end of April for a trip to mesa Az. On my Stornello Riding by myself. Recently retired I have all the time I need, no planned route just head west. Who knows, may not be here next summer or may not feel like doing it. (Taking my Dads advice )
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2019, 04:51:31 PM »
Why Mesa?  Family?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2019, 09:17:30 PM »
Visiting a buddy of mine I grew up with who's also a motorcycle nut. Been out there many times but never did the trip on a bike. So I figured now is the time.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2019, 12:30:13 AM »
I have enjoyed almost every trip on two wheels since I started on a Kawasaki 2-stroke triple at 17. It truly is something that brings a smile to my face every time, be it commuting or a rip to the store, business travel, or poking around the back country just seeing what is out there. I have spent more time getting my kit on than it took to get to the store, but it made the trip fun. I work from home now, but for a time I commuted an hour or better each way every day. In my car, it was a drag, but on a bike it was recreation. Because I could engage in a recreation activity while getting to and from work, my mood was better, I felt relaxed, and my blood pressure was lower.  I have gone from sport bikes to the Stelvio because I just don't fold up like I used to, and honestly today's sport bikes have so much more capability than I have nerve it would be a crime to ride it, like making a race horse work a kiddy party pony ride. Riding turns every trip into fun, makes me feel alive.  So my philosophy is to ride often, and if there isn't a reason to go, make one up. Just go. 3 miles, 300, or 3,000; just go.

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2019, 02:07:40 AM »
2 things in my life spoke to my soul from about the age of 10; surfing and motorcycles. Between about 1979 and 1993 I surfed (boogie then kneeboard) any time that time and swell and opportunity was available. Its still a huge part of me, but opportunities very much reduced from 1993 when I moved inland, and then in 2000 when I moved to the UK. All the while until 1996 I had been riding dirtbikes, even trials competition in the 90s, but in 1996 I got an SRX600 and hit the road - for 10 days straight.

It changed me. More confident, happier, less caring what other people thought. Lots of quiet contemplative smiling.

So now I ride my Breva whenever I can, all over the UK, France, Spain, and this June to Italy.   I make time to stop and eat the roses. Me and speed limits stay in touch. I'm a man who is definately aware of his limitations. I ain't fast in a sprint, but over 500 miles I can cover the ground well enough. Every human who rides on 2 wheels is a potential comrade. I have had so many strangers on bikes who 5 minutes after we meet are strangers no more.....

Ride on.....
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here