Author Topic: Almost got taken  (Read 2187 times)

Offline mmcwhitehead

• New Egg
Re: Almost got taken
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2022, 02:34:37 PM »
I live in the same county as the OP.

Red Run is the "go to" shop for exhaust work around here. My pickup is going there this week. It broke several studs that hold the exhaust manifold to the head. My mechanic said "take it to Red Run, it'll cost less than if I do the work for you." (that's honesty)

I have several friends who have had work done by them and they have been pleased with the work and amazed by the cost. I'm hoping that I have the same experience.

Seems like they have a good business model.
2014 California Touring
1973 Eldorado w/ Velorex Sidecar

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2022, 01:37:23 PM »

Red Run is the "go to" shop for exhaust work around here. My pickup is going there this week. It broke several studs that hold the exhaust manifold to the head. My mechanic said "take it to Red Run, it'll cost less than if I do the work for you." (that's honesty)

I have several friends who have had work done by them and they have been pleased with the work and amazed by the cost. I'm hoping that I have the same experience.

And a brand new building.. Let us know how you make out
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2022, 03:19:53 PM »
You can tell you are from Lancaster county. If you were from Franklin county the title would have read "Almost got tooken"

If you're from the SE area of PA, mainly Philly.  It would be "Youse guys got took."  The more literate ones would be "Youse guys got taken."   :boozing:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »
This is a timely thread. My wife’s Toyota Solara, with the V6 engine, is in need of a timing belt. I call a few Indy shops, and 2 authorized dealers to get an estimate, to change the belt and water pump with new tensioners. The estimates run
from $500. To a whopping $2700. She decided to take it to the local Indy that we’ve supported for many years. His estimate came in at $1150.

What year is the Solara?

Toyota Solara Timing Belt Or Chain
Model Years   Engine Option   Timing Belt Or Chain   Interference Or Non-Interference
2002 to 2008   2.4L 4 Cyl.   timing chain   interference
2004 to 2008   3.3L V6   timing belt   non-interference
1999 to 2003   3.0L V6   timing belt   non-interference
1999 to 2001   2.2L 4 Cyl.   timing belt   non-interference
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2022, 08:28:36 PM »
Tom, it’s a 2008, with the V6.

What year is the Solara?

Toyota Solara Timing Belt Or Chain
Model Years   Engine Option   Timing Belt Or Chain   Interference Or Non-Interference
2002 to 2008   2.4L 4 Cyl.   timing chain   interference
2004 to 2008   3.3L V6   timing belt   non-interference
1999 to 2003   3.0L V6   timing belt   non-interference
1999 to 2001   2.2L 4 Cyl.   timing belt   non-interference
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2022, 08:50:21 PM »
Timing chain.  Just change the engine oil.  I have a 2005 Camry 4 cylinder with timing chain.  Co-worker has a 2006 Camry w/4 cylinder.  Timing chain.  The other co-worker has a Honda CRV.  She got told that she'd need the timing belt changed.  I did some research and told her that she had a timing chain and the dealer was trying to mess with her.

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2022, 01:51:36 AM »

Ugh!! exhaust studs! if I was your mechanic I would persuade you to go to another shop too! one of the most pain in the a$$ jobs there is!
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2022, 07:58:02 AM »
Tom,
Thanks, but it’s a 2008 with the V6. Mine has the timing belt.

Timing chain.  Just change the engine oil.  I have a 2005 Camry 4 cylinder with timing chain.  Co-worker has a 2006 Camry w/4 cylinder.  Timing chain.  The other co-worker has a Honda CRV.  She got told that she'd need the timing belt changed.  I did some research and told her that she had a timing chain and the dealer was trying to mess with her.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2022, 03:42:49 PM »
Reread the chart I posted.  Y'ep on the belt.  Ugh. 

Offline mmcwhitehead

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2022, 10:19:07 AM »
I got my truck back from Red Run Exhaust today. It appears that they did the job right and for a reasonable price. Their labor rate is about half what the dealers charge. I'll use them again if I need exhaust work.
 :thumb:
2014 California Touring
1973 Eldorado w/ Velorex Sidecar

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2022, 06:18:50 AM »

I used to live by a shop that was like that. They did anywhere from great, ot good work depending on what you wanted. Ive gotten great systems made, and installed for a fair price, and Ive had old junk patched together for less then I could buy the parts for and do myself. I live 45min away now, and I still bring stuff there if I need some good "I got to get one more year out of this" work.
Paul B

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here