Author Topic: It’s Cold & Wet, But You Ride Anyway  (Read 3194 times)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
It’s Cold & Wet, But You Ride Anyway
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:58:48 PM »
It’s cold and wet, but you ride anyway... Do you?

I go nuts not riding. I dreamt about riding, I fantasize about it, and I finally go do it. My bike and I get covered in road grime, but I have a hose for afterwards (and an outdoor shower).

How about you? Rain and cold weather keeping you from riding? Snow and ice, yes, but that is what skis and skates are for...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: It’s Cold & Wet, But You Ride Anyway
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
Gave up cars somewhere around 2006. Still worked for the next 7 years. Every day began and ended with a 20 mile motorcycle ride. What a great way to begin and end every work day. 10,000 miles just for the commute. Bought the Ural as the answer to commuting in the ice and snow that is Massachusetts winters. Then on the weekends I'd head out for motorcycle rides just because it was where I most wanted to be. That was good for another 10,000+ miles.

It's like snowmobile riding; as long as you dress appropriately for the conditions there's no reason to stay inside just because there is weather happening.

I did get some strange looks during the extremes but they always ended in a big smile at both sides.

Now that I'm retired the DW (non-rider) really wants a lot more of my company and my mileage has fallen in half. I do miss being "out there".
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »
Yeah nothing breaks up the winter doldrums better than to get out on the road.The bad thing about here is the road salt that gets on everything.The garden hoses are put up so they don’t freeze but I use a tank sprayer with warm water to wash her off with.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 02:01:31 PM »
It’s cold and wet, but you ride anyway... Do you?

I go nuts not riding. I dreamt about riding, I fantasize about it, and I finally go do it. My bike and I get covered in road grime, but I have a hose for afterwards (and an outdoor shower).

How about you? Rain and cold weather keeping you from riding? Snow and ice, yes, but that is what skis and skates are for...

Depends on "how cold".   Any chance of freezing through evaporative cooling, and I'm not on a bike.   "Black Ice"  conditions are identifiable; it's not like they're the supernatural cousin of the "evil skid demon" lurking in the puddles of the Honda Benly manuals ...

And retired, I have fewer places I "have to go" than I used to ...

Lannis
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 06:28:37 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 02:01:31 PM »

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
Know what you mean - I'm too addicted to wait around for nice weather. It may not be the most fun kind of riding when the roads are wet and the visor fogs, but the saddle time keeps away the withdrawals. And then when warmer dry weather shows up, it's so nice not taking it easy and careful anymore.

Black ice is scary stuff. Temps can be in the 40s, yet a constantly shady corner at higher elevations might still be icy. A friend went down in just those conditions.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 03:29:58 PM »
Have never rode in rain or cold temps unless I didn't have a choice as when on a trip or commuting and am caught in it. Never had any joy doing it just anxiety and/or being uncomfortable. Riding is suppose to be fun not a "character builder" IMHO. Kudos to those that don't mind it or even enjoy it, just not me. I know pilots that fly professionally all week and then will fly for fun all weekend. Each to their own.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 04:01:00 PM »
it's not like they're the supernatural cousin of the "evil skid demon" lurking in the puddles of the Honda Benly manuals ...
Lanis

They were present in the C100 manual too Lannis. :laugh: :laugh:

Theses days my bike comes off the road for the worst 4 months of winter.  Bikes out here are very expensive to register so if riding is liable to be curtailed regularly it is more amenable to the budget if that happens.

I have ridden through blizzards, ice and wind blown dust and dirt because I had to, now that I'm retired and don't have to I have decided to ride when it is enjoyable rather than endurable.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »
The last time I road in cold weather on purpose was november of 1981. I was most the way to work in a cold rain when I called in and road to a used car dealer. Picked up a buick lesabre for $300, which lasted me for 3 years. The R69 is still going strong today, but has a much easier life than in my early days.
Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Lcarlson

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 05:23:08 PM »
Yeah nothing breaks up the winter doldrums better than to get out on the road.The bad thing about here is the road salt that gets on everything.The garden hoses are put up so they don’t freeze but I use a tank sprayer with warm water to wash her off with.

I use an $8 expandable scrunchy hose specifically for hosing off my bike when the regular garden hose is in the garage for the winter.

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »
I ride as my main source of transportation. But i live in area i can ride all year. The moment i regretted most was last year coming home in 38 degree weather. That's rare. But i have no desire to give up the bike. Ive ridden through some weather considerable distances. Good rain gear really makes it easy.

I religiously wash my bike. But im always happy to stay in if it's raining with my bike tucked in.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 06:47:58 PM »
Have never rode in rain or cold temps unless I didn't have a choice as when on a trip or commuting and am caught in it. Never had any joy doing it just anxiety and/or being uncomfortable. Riding is suppose to be fun not a "character builder" IMHO. Kudos to those that don't mind it or even enjoy it, just not me. I know pilots that fly professionally all week and then will fly for fun all weekend. Each to their own.
GliderJohn
I'm with you John. As I have gotten in my 60's I just can't handle being cold or wet. As far as ridding in situations where frozen road are a possibility, life is too fragile to be carelessly.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 07:52:39 PM »

Got in some winter riding today, bbbbrrrrrrr mid to upper 60's Stockton Lake, Mo. :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:53:34 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 08:09:38 PM »
From Guzzistajohn:
mid to upper 60's Stockton Lake, Mo.
Yea, tough life isn't it? :grin: Had a nice a 50 or so ride today in low 50s temps but bright sunlight.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »
Living in Minnesota and Wisconsin all my life most of my riding gear is for cold and wet weather.

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 08:30:11 PM »
Cold and wet are OK.  Ice is no go; I put it away when it's actually icy.  If it's wet and below 40F (5C), then I generally don't ride.  But if it's either dry OR above 40F, out I go.  In the dry, I'll ride down to about 20F (-7C).  With heated gloves and layering elsewhere, I can do about an hour at 20F without much discomfort.  When I lived in San Diego, of course I rode year-round.  I moved to NH a few years ago, and if I only rode when it was warm and dry, I wouldn't have much of a riding season.  I can ride 8 to 9 months a year, if I'm willing to go with cold or wet.  Oddly, I ride more miles here in NH than I did in CA.  There I rode 11K miles a year steady.  In NH, it's more variable, but I've ridden as few as 8K, and as many as 21K, averaging about 14K a year.

PhilB

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 10:21:18 PM »
From Guzzistajohn:Yea, tough life isn't it? :grin: Had a nice a 50 or so ride today in low 50s temps but bright sunlight.
GliderJohn

:thumb: had to put me shades on!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 10:22:55 PM »
I own cars but don’t use them.  They are for my wife and daughter.   I do a 100 mile round trip commute daily by bike.  If a business trip doesn’t absolutely require a plane ride, I’m on the bike.  This is year round (albeit in Texas).

My motto is if the weather is too nasty or icy to take the bike, then I’m not taking the car either. 

I actually kinda like riding in cold weather (with heated gear).  On the other hand, I also like riding in hot weather, mild weather, rainy weather, etc.  I even like riding in Kansas.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 10:53:06 PM »
 Does 35 F with a 30 MPH crosswind and pouring rain count ? How about 20 F at the top of mountain passes ? Don't ride in that type of cold anymore , arthritis put an end to that , but 45 F is still doable .

Dusty

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 08:37:53 AM »
Been a bike owner and rider for 45 years. Done all the crappy weather riding I'm ever going to do. 65+ degrees F and sunny is my minimum.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »
Cold is no issue. Wet is no issue.

Ice is where the bike gets put away.

As always, there are a few exceptions.

Wet in fall, I avoid certain roads... a carpet of wet leaves is nothing I enjoy riding in.

Late fall when it's icy at night, but not in the day... I'm leery, since the ice hangs out for so long in shaded and treed areas.

And wet... wet in general is fine, but after a few days of rain... my grid roads turn to 8" of sucking mud. The only get-off I've had in the past 30 years was in that mud, last year.

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 09:15:09 AM »
The dual sport and trials bikes for when it is too dangerous to be on the streets.

Goretex gear for the rain.

Cold weather gear and heated gear for all day cold riding.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 10:28:46 AM »
Had a nice cool ride through Texas Hill Country this past weekend.  Temps started in the mid 30's, but quickly climbed to mid 60's by afternoon.  Hardly any wind. My fingers got chilled in the AM, but soon warmed up, and the ride was wonderful.  It was a great change of pace from the usual Texas heat and wind.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:29:22 AM by MGrego »

Offline guzzimatic

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 10:45:00 AM »
I rode my DR650 yesterday,50 degrees and sunny! I did one of my favorite dual sport rides across the river in Fulton Co. The gravel roads were sketchy at best,a lot of recent rain,snow had melted and moisture was working up out of the ground,the surface looked like grey chocolate pudding,and the base is yellow clay,so sliding around on snot essentially...it was tough a few times but made it to my buddies duck hunting cabin,he was just back from hunting,gassing up his boat,a 4 mallard day so we drank a beer to our enjoyment of a nice late fall day,and I took pavement home,grabbed some quarters and hit the car wash to get the evil crap off me and the bike! A very good day!!!
big Jim Walker bikes:'08 Norge,02'DR650,'84LeMans III,,'78 honda cb750k,'78 BMW R100S,'77 Ducati 860GT ES,'77honda XR75, '76 GUZZI convert,'75 850T cafe[project],'75 RD350 yamaha,'74 NORTON commando,'72 750 Norton flattrack replica,'72 250 Rickman-Montesa,'72 XL250 Honda Mosport[first bike

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 10:47:54 AM »
I am supposed to be strapped to my desk today, working, but the sun is out! I may have to play hooky! "Honey, I need something in town..."
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »
Cold? yes, Wet? yes.... cold AND wet....  na ill pass... 
Paul B

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 03:00:16 PM »
Does 35 F with a 30 MPH crosswind and pouring rain count ?

Dusty

C'mon Dusty, it's above freezing .  Harden up man. :evil: :grin:

Remember, Steven Adams had to walk 15 miles each day to school barefoot in the snow, and, it was uphill both ways.  Tough, he's so tough he chews up battleships and spits out nails.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »
C'mon Dusty, it's above freezing .  Harden up man. :evil: :grin:

Remember, Steven Adams had to walk 15 miles each day to school barefoot in the snow, and, it was uphill both ways.  Tough, he's so tough he chews up battleships and spits out nails.

Lately he is more likely to spit out some Kiwi humor , guy is hilarious  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »
I will put most of my bikes up for the winter, but the TW200 gets year-round duty.  Granted, I'm not doing any serious mileage on it, but it scratches the itch and makes my friends squirm.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here