Author Topic: Value of Converts  (Read 5484 times)

Offline jguzzi

• Hatchling
  • 1971 Ambassador, MGNOC# 11324
Value of Converts
« on: December 11, 2018, 08:04:49 PM »
I have had a 1978 Convert since 1987.  Replaced tires, ATF cooler, brake pads and normal maintenance.  Great fun but I wonder why it seems to be worth a fair amount  less than the G5.  I do not see many for sale anymore but when I did, they seemed to sell for 2000-2500.  I bought mine for less than that. 

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Value of Converts
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »
You first have to be converted and most riders have never been on a Convert to acquire the desire.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »
Unless you have ridden one, it's hard to appreciate them. I often wonder why MG hasn't added one to their line.

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:39:00 PM »
You first have to be converted and most riders have never been on a Convert to acquire the desire.
:thumb:
Or, as stenciled on the old H-D t-shirt "If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand"
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:39:00 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 06:32:56 AM »
I've ridden a couple of them. I have a G5.. :whip2:  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline TOMB

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 06:43:44 AM »
Chuck Peterson are you there.
TOMB
TOMB

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
1972 Eldorado new to me so "0" miles so far
1972 AMBASSADOR 169000 MILES
1978 G5 170000 MILES
1973 V7 SPORT 25000 MILES
1973 ELDORADO 300000+ MILES
1980 CX100 50 MILES
1976 CONVERT-62000 MILES AND BUILDING
1976 HONDA CB400F 27 MILES AND BUILDING SOLD

MGNOC # 2723

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 07:04:24 AM »
Converts are on the fringe of a fringe brand. Not many folks understand or want too.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »
Chuck Peterson are you there.
TOMB

Where's Waldo?  :grin:

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 07:31:05 AM »
Unless you have ridden one, it's hard to appreciate them. I often wonder why MG hasn't added one to their line.
I have had at least ten of them and they are the only  Guzzis I would ever own.Big scooter

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »
Back in the day when they came out several were around where I live. Over the first few years there were some issues with the torque converters cracking around the center of the drive hub. If I remember right this required a pretty expensive repair for the time. Some chose to "unconvert" the bike as the G5 five speed was much cheaper and easier to install. This kind of stuck and some were put off the bikes as having a rep for being problematic. Personally I think this was over blown and the bikes didn't deserve the bad rap. Again if memory servers I believe that there was an upgrade to deal with the issue on later bikes. Anyway it kept them from becoming more popular with the Guzzi crowd than they did. That and also the fact that automatic transmission bikes in general were just never embraced by the American bike market. Honda had an automatic model as well and it didn't go over to well either. As for present time I think they are a neat vintage Guzzi bargain if you are looking for something unique and functional. The G5/Convert engines are some of the most rock solid reliable motors Guzzi ever produced.     
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 08:32:43 AM »
My very first Guzzi was a '76 Convert with a California sidecar, that I bought from an old guy's estate. I really liked it, solo and with the chair. I ended up selling it to an old guy, and spent the money on a new '83 SP. It was the end of my interest in British bikes, and the beginning of my interest in Italian machinery.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »
When I bought a leaking from every seal convert I had no idea it would turn into 150k...rear main seals, diode boards, scorched crank from blown oil lines, rebuilt starters, staters, rotors, fork dampers, rear shocks, leaking oil rings, frozen rusted exhausts, broken taps in cranks, 15-20 tires, overflowing "got to save that" parts, mystery electrical gremlins w Italian names, wandering the Nova Scotia Penisula, vt, ct, ma, ny, Maine, penn, va, Ohio, North Carolina and just a big effing pain the ass cuz it wouldn't stop going places...

Worthless I tell ya...and I wouldn't change a thing....thats why I'm on a Nevada now...... :popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 08:49:14 AM »
Back in the day when they came out several were around where I live. Over the first few years there were some issues with the torque converters cracking around the center of the drive hub.     Actually it was a thin stamped flywheel that got replaced with a heavy version.

On right next to an EV fw.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:52:33 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 09:01:05 AM »
Back in the day when they came out several were around where I live. Over the first few years there were some issues with the torque converters cracking around the center of the drive hub. If I remember right this required a pretty expensive repair for the time.

Like Brad says - there wasn't any issue with the torque converter itself - the original stamped steel "bowl" flywheel cracked around the center. Solved when the heavier machined flywheel was introduced. 

The earliest pump drive is another issue: the "socket" in the pump that the hex piece fits into is only 8 mm deep on early ones and 11 mm deep on later ones. The late one with a properly fitting hex piece is a big step towards solving that issue. A 6 mm hex piece, as is original, fits loosely in the cam and pump - I had a custom oversized hex piece made - 6.2 mm. Improper heat-treating of some parts doesn't help here.

Then there's the "never shift on the fly" vs. "I've always shifted on the fly" argument. After seeing rounded off shift dogs in several low mileage transmissions, I'm an adherent of "never shift on the fly".

I sold my 3rd Convert, a fully sorted '76, for $3500 in 2009. I probably have about the same in current (4th) one, worth every penny to me. 
Charlie

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »

I have this same exact bike...even have a fairing like that in the back room...the bike will be on the market soon  :grin:

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »
the bike will be on the market soon  :grin:

How soon?
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
I remember hearing about the troubles. I wouldn't mind trying a sorted one.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 04:39:48 PM »

The "King Of The Converts" if there is such a thing!  :wink:  The 1984 California II Automatic.
   I absolutely love this beast, it has been very trouble free for 42K miles, and a true joy to ride!
Rick.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:42:46 PM by bigbikerrick »
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 09:34:09 PM »

Mr. Slate will always have a place in my heart and my garage :)

Like riding a 600 lb. moped with 71 hpw...but way more fun. My back and forth to work rider......hey Charlie I got the SP faring idea from you...works just fine for me.
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »
 I rode Tom B's, it was kind of shiftless.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 08:25:46 AM »
I always thought they would make a nice sidecar rig..  Good power, easy to ride..   
Paul B

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
I always thought they would make a nice sidecar rig..  Good power, easy to ride..

Agreed...I've owned a lot of sidecar rigs...this Convert was/is my favorite...

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »
nice rig!  Ive been a sidecar fan for many years... Havent owned one yet, but ridden a few.
Paul B

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 11:55:39 AM »
Definitely an acquired taste, definitely a cult bike within kind of a cult brand, as has been mentioned. I'm into those kind of things. I, too am saddened that the prices for such a rare bird are so low. People put too much emphasis on the "shifting" experience as a benefit of riding a motorcycle. Off-road, road-racing yes; slow mile-eater, meh.

Bought my first from a MG Club rep when I was looking for an Eldo...thought it was weird and kept wondering if/when I should shift, but I soon fell in love!

The fortunate ones have had no auto-related driveline troubles, but I've lived thru them all....and continue to love the bike. People who do not wrench themselves should not consider one, because GOOD LUCK finding any person who's not a member of this board who know how to troubleshoot the unique driveline.

BEST version is the Cal II Auto like Rick's and mine (his looks much nicer than mine). Longest Tonti wheelbase, you can almost fall asleep for lack of any effort to drive the thing.

'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »
Definitely an acquired taste, definitely a cult bike within kind of a cult brand, as has been mentioned. I'm into those kind of things. I, too am saddened that the prices for such a rare bird are so low. People put too much emphasis on the "shifting" experience as a benefit of riding a motorcycle. Off-road, road-racing yes; slow mile-eater, meh.

Bought my first from a MG Club rep when I was looking for an Eldo...thought it was weird and kept wondering if/when I should shift, but I soon fell in love!

The fortunate ones have had no auto-related driveline troubles, but I've lived thru them all....and continue to love the bike. People who do not wrench themselves should not consider one, because GOOD LUCK finding any person who's not a member of this board who know how to troubleshoot the unique driveline.

BEST version is the Cal II Auto like Rick's and mine (his looks much nicer than mine). Longest Tonti wheelbase, you can almost fall asleep for lack of any effort to drive the thing.

"Best" relates to how the bike is used. I've ridden a fair number of both early Converts and Cal IIs (Auto and 5 spd.). Any Cal II is an unhappy pig when trying to hustle on the backroads I ride, but great out on the highway. The earlier 'Verts are much more agile and are still great out on the highway.
Charlie

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
I rode Tom B's, it was kind of shiftless.
Tom, or the bike?  :rolleyes:

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »
Some years ago I had the pleasure of riding Chuck Peterson's convert in the beautiful White mountains, New Hampshire.
It had a windjammer fairing, DB bags, some aftermarket suspension work and Bub mufflers.
You couldn't ask for a better ride than that, for that type of riding.
Smooth engine, smooth ride, great sound!
Add to the pluses, no computer, no FI. Any parts that might give you trouble will easily fit in a coffee can size compartment.
My opinion, MG is making a mistake in not producing one now. It's a realistic type all around bike.

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »
"Best" relates to how the bike is used. I've ridden a fair number of both early Converts and Cal IIs (Auto and 5 spd.). Any Cal II is an unhappy pig when trying to hustle on the backroads I ride, but great out on the highway. The earlier 'Verts are much more agile and are still great out on the highway.

Should have clarified: "Best" meant newer, longer swingarm, any benefit the "square" cylinders might bring, and a more functional front fender. There may be other obscure updates to the later Tontis that I am forgetting. And yes, my opinion.

I've heard other people say how slow the Cal IIs handle, but I would disagree emphatically. Yes, the wheelbase is longer, and the steering angle might be different, and it might be heavier, but no way would I call it an unhappy pig. I can flick that rascal around in a tight parking lot with both feet on the boards like a moped (which it is). I've read a similar discussion about the LM IVs 16 vs 18-in front wheel.

But, this post is about the weak value of the Convert. Convert or Cal II, they just don't get much respect.

'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »
It's selfish but I hope the value of Converts stay low until next summer.  I want a really nice G5 or Convert in the worst way.  A Convert would make no sense for me since I have a perfectly good Guzzi in the garage but for some strange reason I want to try one for a summer or two. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here