Author Topic: California 1100 Thread  (Read 3048 times)

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
California 1100 Thread
« on: August 14, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »
I see there was a PICTURE thread (nice) but I thought it would be great to have a thread all about Cali 1100s for us to share tips and tricks. I did a search and didn't see such a thing.

Of course there were several variations of this venerable machine, from the very first Calis to the California EVs. Since there were so many variations, I'm hoping we can limit this to the Cali 1100, both injected and carburetor model.

I'll start with a couple of topics that I've experienced, and hope others can add their own tips and tricks....
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
Re: California 1100 Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »
Topic: Center Stand!

My '96 was virtually impossible to get up on the center stand. I've looked at several variations of the tab that you put your foot on and push down - and there ARE differences.

Mine was out to the side, so when the center stand was up it went almost sideways relative to the stock La Franconi mufflers. This seemed strange to me, as ideally you would need to push down close to the feet to get the most pressure.

THE FIX: I got my torch out and heated the tab up, then bent it so when you push down you are closer to being over the center stand feet. THIS WORKED! Much easier to place on center stand now, even with luggage on.

I'll post a photo of this when I get it cleaned up and painted as it's pretty ugly now with the burned up paint. But by golly it's working much better!
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 08:54:19 AM »
Other suggested topics but please add YOURS:

Converting to tubeless tires
Tailight upgrades (although I know there has been and EXCELLENT thread on this, but maybe we could include a few pices specific to 1100s).
Fairings, including the Suwanne.
Seats - stock, Ned's, etc.
Setting up the pre-load and compression on  the adjustable shocks.
Valve settings: Too noisy or JUST RIGHT?
Balancing the older Throttle bodies
Adding lights
Color schemes (and not limited to HDM!)

Even if you sold yours for a fancy-dan new model - if you have details on what you did with yours, please add!
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »

upload image

Here's my '96 Cali, my first Guzzi I got 7 years ago -- 

Really haven't done any modifications other than an "H" pipe and and outsider from Harper's.  Replaced the relays with ones from Pyro Dan and regular maintenance... 

The main event for this bike turned out to be an oil leak dripping from the bell housing weep hole.  Harper's replaced the rear main seal but it still leaked !  Then they pressurized the engine block and discovered the leak was actually coming from a porosity in the casting.  Mike Harper sent me a video of the oil seeping through the back of the engine block when they pressurized it.  (I would like to post the video, but I can't figure out how...) They fixed it with epoxy.  5 years later it's still leak free  :thumb:

I mention this because there always seems to be a thread about replacing the rear main seal, or leaks from the bell housing.  If you have it torn down, seems wise to pressurize the engine block and make sure a defect in the casting isn't masquerading as a rear main seal leak or something else !

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »
I never liked the twin tail lights on the Jackal, so I grafted on a light I had from a 70s/80s bike. Makes it's butt look big, but it should be visible. The RH turn signal is not mounted as this is a sidecar rig and the turn signal is mounted to the tub. (homemade sidecase racks)

Rich A
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:08:15 AM by Rich A »

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 11:21:07 AM »
more power is needed if you have gotten old and fat like me, Mike Rich Motorsports can help you there.  He has gone to a more profitable automotive based tuning business but if we can give him more work, he likes to tune and race Guzzis.  If your engine is in need of a freshening, consider some performance improvements as these engines respond to some well thought out modifications. Ace Mallot of St Joeseph can also help and understands the principals involved. the down side is that if you are successful, your drive line will need some help to remain reliable.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline wolfeguitars

• Jay Wolfe
  • New Egg
    • Wolfe Guitars
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »
I acquired my '02 Cali 1100EV 80th Anniversary in May this year, so haven't had it long. Also have a sidecar, so my experiences will differ from most. Only has 19k miles & runs good. it was well cared for by the previous, original owner. Here are some things I am concerned about and will be addressing in the coming months:
* Water in the final drive. Lube is milky. Forum posters say this is common after riding in rain, which I did for about 600 miles the day I bought it on route home. 619 miles of heavy and sometimes blinding rain. The Goose ran perfect. They say the vent is cheaply made & water gets in. I'll change the lube & relocate the vent to the underside of the seat.
* Transmission makes a LOUD constant chirping in 5th at highway speeds. Seems to be better over 70mph, which I rarely do (side hack rig). I'll use 4th 90% of the time. I'm not touring. Gonna change the trans. lube soon when I do the final drive- to be sure the right stuff's in there.
* The stock gearing is too high for my sidecar setup BUT it's so costly to change, so I'm OK with driving her as is. Its a pleasure to drive for sure.
   That's about it except I wish It'd STOP RAINING so I can ride. This machine is so well serviced & cared for that there's not much to be concerned about. I aim to keep her, even though wifey says "I ain't gettin' in that thing."
I ride to work, ride to eat, ride to nowhere for nothing.
* Moto Guzzi 2002 California 1100EV w/ Sidecar
* Ducati 1990 851
* Ducati 1993 900 Supersport

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 03:15:28 PM »
I  had a '95
[/url]

Learned how to replace a clutch in a rental unit, LL not too too happy.

Took me lots of places without a care,

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 05:22:41 PM »
If your California's shift lever needs adjustment, the best way to accomplish this is not the most obvious. The threaded linkage rod (visible from the left side) may be adjusted only slightly. However if you trace the shift linkage to under the battery tray, you'll find another adjuster. This one will allow a great deal more adjustment and also offers a second mounting hole if you'd like a longer or shorter throw when you shift. Get under there with a 10mm open ended wrench. When I did this on my Vintage, I was able to raise the front of the shifter high enough to comfortably get my boot under it. This created a great deal more space on the floorboard.

The front brake rotors for an Aprilia RSV4 are the same diameter, offset, and bolt pattern as the rotors on late V1100s. The difference? The full floating versions from the Aprilia (Grimeca) are 2.2 pounds lighter. That's a bunch of unsprung weight!

Mudflaps on the front fender of your Cali keep your bike a great deal cleaner, but that's not the primary reason I use them. Most motorcycle flats happen on our rear wheels. Why? Because the front wheel agitates pointy things when rolling over them. Sooner or later one of them will puncture your rear tire. A mudflap keeps those pointy things low, or pushes them off to the side. It is not often that a $10 change will do so much for you. And it protects other components under the bike, too. A plain rubber mudflap (link below photo) can mount to the fender stay bolts, so you don't even have to drill holes in your fender.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/7110316/j-p-cycles-medium-mud-flap
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:29:03 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »
Sheepdog, is the plate above the shifter linkage, by the starter...a separate piece? I see there is none on the other side..   Just curious about it.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
Yes, if you mean the black plate with the key cylinder. It's where the seat lock resides, but removal also creates a little room if you have to work in there.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 06:52:00 PM »

Let's see 02 Stone bought in 9/01. Somewhere north of 40000 miles. Pulled a trailer two up to many rallies. Mistral, open airbox, h pipe, charcoal canisters long gone, early pc3, motocross handlebars, speedhut gps speedo, neds cal3 seat and a maund custom seat, ME 880 lasting forever on the rear, and a michelin commander just put on the front, fiamm horns, cheap autozone trailer light for the tail light, neds spots up front. HB 30s or 40s as the need arises, big GUZZI head covers. change oil and ride, with a new rear tire I'd have no issue riding cross country. A lot of tips still on the WildGuzzi website.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »
04 EV. My first Guzzi back in 06, with my now grown up Granddaughter.

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 07:42:08 AM »
My first year on my 02 Stone metal. It was clean, and low miles when I got it in Dec,[under 9k miles] but turned out to need a lot of sorting. Ive been going through it and working out the bugs this riding season. Lafrancina muffler, FBF H pipe and open filter when I got it.. It was LOUD.  I got a stock air lid and its better. Tried a few EFI maps, and Im getting it pretty close to running right. Im going to need some new tires, and need to check head bearings, and replace fork oil this summer..  All in all I love it, and have enjoyed doing the little fixes to get her right.
Paul B

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 08:15:59 AM »

upload image

Here's my '96 Cali, my first Guzzi I got 7 years ago -- 

Really haven't done any modifications other than an "H" pipe and and outsider from Harper's.  Replaced the relays with ones from Pyro Dan and regular maintenance... 

The main event for this bike turned out to be an oil leak dripping from the bell housing weep hole.  Harper's replaced the rear main seal but it still leaked !  Then they pressurized the engine block and discovered the leak was actually coming from a porosity in the casting.  Mike Harper sent me a video of the oil seeping through the back of the engine block when they pressurized it.  (I would like to post the video, but I can't figure out how...) They fixed it with epoxy.  5 years later it's still leak free  :thumb:

I mention this because there always seems to be a thread about replacing the rear main seal, or leaks from the bell housing.  If you have it torn down, seems wise to pressurize the engine block and make sure a defect in the casting isn't masquerading as a rear main seal leak or something else !

What kind of windscreen are you using and any problems?

Was the Harper's outsider a bolt on or did you have to do any mod's?

Thanks
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »
The windscreen is a National Cycle Plexi-faring II.  I also have one on my '04 EV, so yes, I really like them.  They are infinitely adjustable.  I highly recommend.  Just order the one that has hardware to fit your diameter handlebars.  Some on the forum don't like them however.

The outsider was bolt on.  If I remember correctly, at first they sent me the wrong one that didn't fit, but we eventually figured out what happened and got it all squared away, so no worries...

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 01:35:56 AM »
My current Cali 1100 is a 1994 Carb model. Also rode a 1995 1100i , traded at 50k, and a 02 EV, sold with about 60k on the (busted twice) clock. The 94 has been progressively transformed using  mostly Guzzi stuff from different decades. My wife calls it the Johnny Cash bike from the song "One piece at a time". Heads, rockers and barrels/ pistons are V11 Sport. B10 cam.and bow type tensioner. Carburetors are PHM40's.  Seat is the  black  version for the White Calvin/ Black Eagle type  ( a perfect fit with small latch mods and a  fender snap-in pin as on the original application bikes. Fairing is a SP1000, headlight LED in US version LM1. Tail light is the CEV semi round as in V7 Sport, Eldo, Cal2, T3 etc. Driving/ fog light are PIAA 4 inch on a modified Honda Shadow 600 light bar with LED h3's. Saddlebags are Steel Carabinieri/ Polizia Stradale, (T5)  Exhaust  is stock head pipes, H pipe and a early set of Mistrall mufflers that were purchased in Mandello in 1998 and are now on my 3rd Cali.  Flat track USA  bars 13mm front master   and 2001 +Cali  grips .

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:49:29 AM by guzzista »
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
   I have to admit, I never really liked the looks of the California. But back in 2011 I bought one anyway because it just wasn't practical to ride my wife around on my 1100 Sport. And, it came with all the bags and a Swanee fairing at a good price. It had 70K miles, but I've had Guzzi's a long time so the mileage didn't bother me. Still not crazy about the looks, but I just love riding this bike. Changed the bars to Emgo superbike bars and put a used Corbin seat on it. Used Wilber's shocks transformed the suspension. Recently learned how to PROPERLY set the TPS and used Guzzidiag to set the CO trim. The bike has never run better, just wants to run right up to red line. 120K miles now. It's my daily driver. Still have my 1100 Sport and a 2012 Norge. Use the Sport for, well, sport riding, and the Norge for long distance. But the EV is my workhorse.

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 01:06:00 PM »
Well I'm back into another California - this time a Cal iii that I took in trade on my Breva.

I liked the Breva, but longed for the riding position and simplicity of the Cali again. Could be that I finally admitting I'm closer to 70 than 50 LOL.

My first mod has been to put my foglights on. I will not run a bike without them anymore, and since this one did not have them mounted on they went! This time I wired the relay directly to the taillight lead in the molex connector just to the rear of the battery, so I don't have to worry about turning them on or off. Just turn the ignition on and on they come!

Next up is a seat mod - something to get the seat flatter on top and a little wider at the rear. I'd consider adding a Cal Vin if I could find one.

Final initial mod will be to add some sort of large capacity luggage as I plan to make this bike my tourer. I will post more photos on that topic later!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 01:13:32 PM by rjamesohio »
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2021, 01:58:48 PM »
I've done nothing, but a previous owner added the external oil filter, brake pedal that is in front of the floorboard, harley air shocks, manual petcock.
It came with the original brake pedal and shocks.
It came with the touring windshield and foot protectors, and a huge set of givi bags and top case. I had dreams of filling them up with camping gear, but never did.

I did add floor boards for the passenger. I removed the floorboards I had on a Triumph America and with a little grinding, they bolted right up to the EV.
Oh, and I did buy a higher windshield for the fairing, the original put the wind right in my face. I trimmed the new Clearshield about an inch which is now at just the right height to remind me to sit up straight.
So I guess I have done more than nothing.

Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here