Author Topic: HELP-V11 Sport fork seals  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
HELP-V11 Sport fork seals
« on: April 25, 2019, 08:07:42 AM »
I am picking up a new toy today....an '03 V11 Sport naked. It's only issue is leaking fork seals. Haven't messed w/upside-down forks before. Shop manual on This Old Tractor says 2 special tools needed to remove/install seals. Any of y'all been down this road? Are special tools really necessary? work around? Bike has 42K miles, shift spring has already broken & been replaced in the 6 speed tranny. Any other issues particular to this model?
Thanks,
ronkom
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: HELP-V11 Sport fork seals
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 08:41:56 AM »
no, I haven't but there is much written about it here:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:50:02 AM »
I am picking up a new toy today....an '03 V11 Sport naked. It's only issue is leaking fork seals. Haven't messed w/upside-down forks before. Shop manual on This Old Tractor says 2 special tools needed to remove/install seals. Any of y'all been down this road? Are special tools really necessary? work around? Bike has 42K miles, shift spring has already broken & been replaced in the 6 speed tranny. Any other issues particular to this model?
Thanks,
ronkom

Did 2 shift springs, no big deal.

Done the seal replacement on the ohlins, done a cartridge replacement on the marzocchi. You can get a cheap plastic protector for 43mm forks to slide the seals on - no big deal. For the cartridge replacement I acquired a spring compressor, first time I did seals I made my own tabs & used a vice to compress.

Since you are poping out the seals it’s a good time to change the fluid - most will say I’m insane but my new cartridges are fitted with trans fluid. In the old damper rod days that was the norm, now there are fork oil charts. One mans 15 weight is another mans 12 weight. I’m happy with the dextron & the V11 has managed to get around some Ducati’s from time to time  :grin:.

Whatever you decide to do it should be an easy replacement, without the plastic cups just be careful not to tear the seals - from memory they fit 2???
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
Upside down forks are really not any harder than conventional forks. If you don't have a tool to press in the seals use a piece of pvc and just tap them in carefully. Doing fork seals used to intimidate me but after doing them multiple times on various bikes its really not a big deal, just more of a pain in the ass to remove wheels, fenders, and such.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 02:50:44 PM »
Hiya Ron.. I did a tutorial on the V11 forum on servicing the Ohlins forks and replacing the seals. I'll see if I can find it.
The only special tool I remember was a plastic clamp I made to hold the fork for disassembly.
We solved that transmission spring breakage problem a year or two ago, btw.. Scud on this list and the V11 forum has them.
Here ya go.. you should get on the forum.. more info than you may want.. :grin:
https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20201-re-engineering-the-shift-spring/
https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19782-ohlins-fork-seals/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-217126
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:59:34 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:33:57 AM »
Hi Chuck, PO told me that when the second spring broke on this bike he had a mod done to the post the spring mounts on. If memory serves it was machining from 17 mm to 15 mm. Does that make sense? I got 2 spare springs w/the bike, one some sort of aftermarket & a genuine Guzzi part from MG Cycle. The Guzzi part is beefier. Thanks to all for the responses, this forum alone makes putting up w/a compuker worthwhile.
Ron
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 07:50:52 AM »
Hi Chuck, PO told me that when the second spring broke on this bike he had a mod done to the post the spring mounts on. If memory serves it was machining from 17 mm to 15 mm. Does that make sense? I got 2 spare springs w/the bike, one some sort of aftermarket & a genuine Guzzi part from MG Cycle. The Guzzi part is beefier. Thanks to all for the responses, this forum alone makes putting up w/a compuker worthwhile.
Ron
the new spring and especially the heavy guzzi spring will break too.
😎
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here