Author Topic: brakes for old small blocks  (Read 754 times)

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
brakes for old small blocks
« on: May 14, 2019, 11:09:25 PM »
gotta love Tonti modular stuff
le mans 1-3 discs, convert carriers
bolt straight on v35-v65 wheel
only caliper bracket fabbed
this with nevada m/cylinder all I need for brakes
actually not so bad with std 260’s (once delinked) but extra 40mm well worthwhile
also gave me handy spot to mount speed sensor behind bkt , magnet in disc carrier.
hard to believe how good the dinky Brembs are,

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: brakes for old small blocks
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 07:28:50 AM »
 :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:01:20 AM »
Interesting mod!  Would you say the front brake with bigger rotor and F05 caliper is as good or better than the OEM double discs using linked front brake and right front hand brake together?  Are you using HH pads on the new Stainless rotor?  What MC are you now using to drive the rear caliper?  The OEM 15-16mm MC will be too big for a single F05- sized rear caliper and presumably will give you a very wooden, insensitive pedal feel.  What braking inadequacy were you addressing to make this change?  Nicely done, BTW.

While this mod will undoubtedly give you an advantage in unsprung weight reduction on the front wheel, I'm not sure if it will yield better overall braking than the OE double disc setup.  Even without using (too abrasive) HH pads on the cast iron OE discs, I feel that the early smallblocks have excellent braking, provided that on the Mark I and II models the OE cable-operated front MC is replaced by a conventional handlebar-mounted MC of 10-12mm.  For hard braking, I can easily get the front tire squealing and close to lockup, but still quite controllable with the hand lever. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:06:13 AM by Diploman »
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:10:08 PM »
Good to know since last I heard, old smallblock discs are getting hard to find. When rebuilding My Monza's calipers a couple years ago, I de-linked and used stainless steel lines and the master cylinder for twin F05s. Happy braking! No complaint about that, but if I should need new discs for whatever reason it's good to know there are alternatives.
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:10:08 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:46:25 PM »
Good to know since last I heard, old smallblock discs are getting hard to find. When rebuilding My Monza's calipers a couple years ago, I de-linked and used stainless steel lines and the master cylinder for twin F05s. Happy braking! No complaint about that, but if I should need new discs for whatever reason it's good to know there are alternatives.
cr

Yes. That was the reason for my  :thumb:  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 07:54:14 AM »
MG Cycle still carries early small block rotors on a special-order basis.  This one was OE on the V50III, but I believe it will fit any of the early models.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_134&products_id=2560

Jackon's adaptation of Tonti parts is nevertheless an interesting and creative mod.  Since his caliper now requires a bracket, it would seem possible to adapt an FO8 or FO9 caliper to go with the bigger disc.  Or a more recent 4-pot caliper.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:59:36 AM by Diploman »
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 06:44:48 PM »
thanks all
understand some like linked, not me, esp with skinny forks twisting left with “back”. brake, right with front, form brace would help but delinking with oe. nevada m/c made it worlds better for me
tyre is prob relevant here,90/0 18 Avon not close to locking even hard in wet
300mm discs just give me more of same,  not fly over bars , just good control.
if I ever need more, ebc floaters would be next, as on my lemans
opinion  today is
baby one with 05 and 300 solid feels as good as big one 08 /300 floaters
100lbs less will do that
 but of course more is doable, this was easy and cheap (discs I had)
speedo sensor icing on cake

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here