Author Topic: V7 II Clutch Replacement Tips & Tricks  (Read 391 times)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
V7 II Clutch Replacement Tips & Tricks
« on: May 19, 2022, 05:03:37 PM »
Looks like I’ll be missing the remainder of my MABDR trip after that gnarly rock garden in Poe Paddy State Park really smoked my clutch. The clutch sometimes slips easily, but I can also tell that it’s just not fully gripping since I’ve lost a little power. I’m bummed, but at least I’m around family and can spend a week catching up with friends and family.

As I was leaving my aunt’s house to head back to the MABDR route, I happened across a custom bike bike builder’s shop just 2 miles down the road. He said he typically doesn’t repair other people’s bikes, but once I showed him the Guzzi and the exploded diagram of the motor, he essentially offered to work on it. He’s worked previously for the military on nuclear subs, has a lot of automotive experience, and also welds, so I think I can trust him to work on this job.

Together we spent a few hours sourcing parts, and found that AF1 had the pushrod kit, and Enzo at Cadre has a lightly used clutch from one of those early V7 IIs with the crank bearing/washer issue. The bike had only a couple hundred miles, and he said the clutch looks new. All parts should hopefully be at my aunt’s door by Tuesday, and we’ll get to work.

I’m eager to see this thing split open and learn. That said, since neither he nor I have any experience dropping and opening up the V7 motor, and replacing the clutch, I’m curious if there are any nuances or funky things to note or keep in mind when working on this job?

Thanks!
Dirk
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
Re: V7 II Clutch Replacement Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 11:25:36 PM »
Dirk:  I’ve done this job several times.  It’s not bad if you take it slow and are methodical. 

Do replace the back engine oil seal while you are in there.

PM me if I can help
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: V7 II Clutch Replacement Tips & Tricks
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »
Much appreciate it, SS. I just purchased an oil seal to include with the work.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here