Author Topic: Muttoneering in Kentucky  (Read 968 times)

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
Muttoneering in Kentucky
« on: October 01, 2021, 08:40:46 AM »

Here is a photo-show ride report of a run from the top of Virginia to Owensboro, in western Kentucky, and back for — yes, really — mutton.   :grin:

Oh, and for bourbon, beer, and more.   :wink:

Why?  Just because, of course. 

On Tuesday, 21 September, Larry flew in from Ormond Beach, Florida, and Bob rode his V7 III from Rochester, New York.   Lannis (Appomattox, Va.) and Dennis (Atlanta, Ga.) joined us along the way.  Then, Sarah, Doug, & Tina — Kentuckians from Glasgow and the first two on Guzzis — met us at St. Mary’s picnic in Whitesville. Two others had to bow out, but are likely attendees for the next Mutton Run. 

So … as Wednesday was an all-day drencher, we launched on Thursday morning. 

Kathi spent most of the "Guys Gone" time in Erie with her dad.

The photos pretty much tell the story. 

And, yes, of course, as usual, “too many pix;” you don't have to open it.  :wink:

But I did cull the original bazillion pix — seriously, 500+ something! — into a much smaller slideshow.  Link below, but here's one ...

The run from here to Owensboro and back was about 1300 miles, plus another 200+ or so of local riding.  I also added some with my backtracking to Lexington for a new tire.  Bob, with his r/t from New York did 2200 miles!

As with most of my photo stories, this opens in “landscape collage,” so one sees all at once.  You can see captions when hovering cursor over pix.  Can also just go to larger pix by using the slideshow option.

Here’s that link:

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Muttoneering-Sept-2021/n-VzxTGK/

I’m still grinning about these past several days of riding for mutton and more with some grand friends, the Muttoneers!  What a wonderful memory

Bill
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Muttoneering in Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »
How FUN!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 07:53:59 PM »
I missed out again!! At this rate I might have well raised my own lamb.  Something to eat while looking at all the pictures.
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 09:51:55 PM »
Nice ride! Thanks for sharing and the pictures 👍

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 09:51:55 PM »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 11:00:05 PM »
Quite the adventure, and nice collection of bikes!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 07:36:51 AM »
Great pictures, Bill!   Thanks for sharing those, and thanks again for the meet-up.  We're already looking forward to next year, and will bring more buddies along.  Thanks again!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline Swedemoto

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 08:18:12 AM »
Looked like a great time! Was born in Owensboro and have wanted to visit for a long time!

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 07:08:43 AM »
I missed out again!! At this rate I might have well raised my own lamb.  Something to eat while looking at all the pictures.

We missed you, Mike.  It was a fun run.  Dennis took U.S. 231 to Nashville and the usual suspects to Atlanta from there.  Still waiting on Lannis's report on that leak, but betting is on breather hose.  He was amazingly calm about the issue; I am a nervous nellie when I see puddling at fuel stops.  :bow:

Great pictures, Bill!   Thanks for sharing those, and thanks again for the meet-up.  We're already looking forward to next year, and will bring more buddies along.  Thanks again!

Sarah

Ditto, Sarah.  The St. Mary's picnic has been around for well over a century, and for many recent years a semiannual event, usually in May and September.  - ruined last year's, but it was great to see it back again.  I'll send out a notice when I get the dates for 2022 spring event.

Looked like a great time! Was born in Owensboro and have wanted to visit for a long time!

Not sure of your ... erm ... vintage, but I am DCHS Class of 1965.  Just had our (- combined) 55/56th reunion.  Sobering to see the ravages of time.  Not all, even locals, attended, but of the 400 who crossed the stage to Elgar's hit tune in May '65, only 300 remain.  OBTW, no scholar at the time -- tho I have since learned to read (and write too many words!  :laugh: -- my cardboard tube was empty.  I thought that they wouldn't flunk a senior in Trig.  Wrong.  They let me march at the ceremony, but also made me go to summer school.  That's when I learned that "authority" really can't make you do anything ... but sure can make you wish you had.   :rolleyes:

Owensboro is worth a homecoming trip for you.  It has come a long way from a dreary river town to a very nice place to live and raise kids. Of course, teenagers then and now never see the real place, and tourists -- as I am today -- miss some of the reality, too.  That said, I am proud of the place and Daviess County generally.

Besides, there's always mutton ...

Bill
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 10:31:25 AM by Iron Cross Junction »
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 07:42:51 AM »
bar-b-que is an art form out there.
Blue Guzz

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here