Author Topic: Bike hard to start when it’s hot???  (Read 1866 times)

bobrebos

Bike hard to start when it’s hot???
« on: May 17, 2022, 10:06:21 AM »
If I ride my 2013 Stelvio for a while and it gets hot and I shut it off, when I return like 45 minutes later it turns over and over and over without starting.  Then I stop trying to start it, wait a few more minutes, try again and it starts.  Starts fine in the morning when it’s been sitting/cold.  Electrical problem somewhere when hot like a coil failing or something???  Any ideas before I bring it to a shop somewhere. 

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Bike hard to start when it’s hot???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 10:23:33 AM »
I would reset the TPS and do a throttle body sync. It sounds like it is just a touch lean (or rich) at that temperature.
It may also be a sticking idle stepper motor.

Also, double check the spark plug gap. Everything may be struggling in those conditions and a bit too much gap may just be enough to prevent it from firing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11:04:10 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

bobrebos

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 10:31:16 AM »
I would reset the TPS and do a throttle body sync. It sounds like it is just a touch lean (or rich) at that temperature.
It may also be a sticking idle stepper motor.

Also, double check the stark plug gap. Everything may be struggling in those conditions and a bit too much gap may just be enough to prevent it from firing.

Thank you

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 10:47:30 AM »
Set the valves and change the plugs, that would be the first stop for me, then proceed as wayne says above if you a a guzzidiag person
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 10:47:30 AM »

bobrebos

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 10:51:59 AM »
These plugs on my 2013 Stelvio (Ngk CR8EKB) are dual tab type plugs so I don’t think I can adjust change the gap??  Maybe I should order some single tab (NGK PMR8B) which are also recommended for the Stelvio.  Single tab would be able to set gap. 

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 12:28:37 PM »
May/may not apply.....but I have noticed occasional hard starting on my new V85 when hot. I have opened the gas cap and noticed the whoosh of air. Immediately after that the bike runs better. Easy to check and see if that is your problem. Also seems to have a greater effect when the gas tank is closer to empty?????
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 12:41:46 PM »
Another cause can be a slight vapor lock. The hot engine heats up the fuel lines. If you cycle the kill switch it does two things, it ( I’m told)  sets the ecu to start and it runs the fuel pump which should push fuel past any vapor that may be there.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 03:22:54 PM »
These plugs on my 2013 Stelvio (Ngk CR8EKB) are dual tab type plugs so I don’t think I can adjust change the gap??  Maybe I should order some single tab (NGK PMR8B) which are also recommended for the Stelvio.  Single tab would be able to set gap. 
Double electrodes are throw away, more expensive single trode is reusable & cost less in long run.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

bobrebos

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 04:36:38 PM »
Double electrodes are throw away, more expensive single trode is reusable & cost less in long run.

:thumb:

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 05:23:31 PM »
Got software Bob?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 06:39:45 PM »
Bring a spare plug with you. When it won't check for spark. That will narrow it down.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline Lee Bruns

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 07:45:46 PM »
Checked valve lash lately? Not wanting to start when hot is a sign of tight valves.

Offline Chatmanx

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 08:00:44 PM »
I am assuming that this is maybe a new bike to you are a bike behaving oddly under under new circumstances. It is carbureted right? Sounds like you're evaporating the fuel while shut down and it takes a couple tries to fill the bowls and start the engine. If that is right then there isn't much to do about it.

If it is fuel injected, then the increase in fuel pressure a startup should prevent that problem. Let me know.

Offline Chatmanx

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 08:09:32 PM »
And to follow up on fuel injected, a test would be to put a fuel pressure garage inline and make sure that  the fuel pump it is working.

Or doo you hear a hum when you turn the key on and before starting? A simple test is to turn the key to power on and loosen a fuel supply line. Gas should spray everywhere and you know that you have fuel at pressure.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 08:42:12 PM »
Checked valve lash lately? Not wanting to start when hot is a sign of tight valves.

^^^^^ this

bobrebos

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2022, 04:31:32 AM »
Got software Bob?

No.  I’m an idiot when it comes to these newer bikes.  Give me a carbureted 1970 Honda and Il be happy!!!  I’m going to keep an eye on it and see if it stops doing it but I doubt it.  I ram it for a short 15 minute ride, let it sit for 45 minutes and it started fine.  I don’t know what’s going on but Il keep watching it I guess or I got a Stelvio boat anchor!!!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 04:51:12 AM by bobrebos »

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2022, 06:27:00 AM »
Dual electrode plugs have a purpose, and if the factory put them in rest assured they had a reason. Usually it has to do with guaranteeing fire with a very lean mixture, as a stock motor must have these days.

If these bikes are prone to tank vacuum, as suggested check that first. I'm not sure how it can affect an EFI system, but it will kill carbureted engines until the pressure equalizes. It usually looks like this;

Runs fine, fuel circulating
Park, engine off
Hot fuel cools, creates vacuum
No start
Pressure equalizes over time through pressure valve or cap leaks
Good to go.

If this is the case, as suggested above open the gas cap next time it won't restart hot and verify.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2022, 06:27:29 AM »
I will say again cause it seems like others are agreeing with me...
Any time I have had issues losing idle when hot or getting no start when the bike was hot (but I knew the carb jetting/ecu tune was correct), the culprit was tight valves. I have never had a 8v bike, but seems like this is a simple and quick check that costs zero dollars
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2022, 06:32:14 AM »
Any time I have had issues losing idle when hot or getting no start when the bike was hot (but I knew the carb jetting/ecu tune was correct), the culprit was tight valves. I have never had a 8v bike, but seems like this is a simple and quick check that costs zero dollars

You're not wrong.

bobrebos

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 12:37:36 PM »
Quote from: Mayor_of_BBQ  :thumb:link=topic=115116.msg1818234#msg1818234 date=1652873249

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2022, 12:47:06 PM »
Could you have a malfunctioning engine temp sensor that is commanding an inappropriate mixture for the fuel injection ?
What does Guzzidiag say ?

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2022, 12:56:57 PM »
As has been stated several times and recommended by numerous folks, when it’s hot you’re likely to be getting some level of vapor lock.  Open the gas cap and let it vent a few seconds and try again…

Certainly check the valves too but if it was running fine Until the day you rode it on a hot day, then it’s unlikely to be the valves…

Highly recommend learning Guzzidiag also as well as getting a quality throttle body equalizer (Carbtune or Twinmax).

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

bobrebos

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2022, 02:46:34 PM »
As has been stated several times and recommended by numerous folks, when it’s hot you’re likely to be getting some level of vapor lock.  Open the gas cap and let it vent a few seconds and try again…

Certainly check the valves too but if it was running fine Until the day you rode it on a hot day, then it’s unlikely to be the valves…

Highly recommend learning Guzzidiag also as well as getting a quality throttle body equalizer (Carbtune or Twinmax).

Looks like I have some learning to complete!  Thanks for the info!

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2022, 05:33:58 PM »
Plug leads and/or coils are breaking down.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Jack Straw

• Hatchling
  • Laugh More, Live Longer
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2022, 05:58:31 PM »
I encountered hard hot start problems on a few bikes.  Every time it's been coils, and, every time the problem coils checked out OK with basic multi meter testing. Go figure, eh.

bobrebos

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2022, 06:11:41 AM »
I encountered hard hot start problems on a few bikes.  Every time it's been coils, and, every time the problem coils checked out OK with basic multi meter testing. Go figure, eh.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2022, 06:36:18 AM »

You need to put the coils in the oven and warm them up.. then check with a multi meter.
A bad plug can mimic a failing coil.. don't ask me how I know.  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2022, 08:16:34 AM »

Very unlikely. That fuel pump is submerged under liquid fuel. That pressurizes the entire system down stream from there. Even if the tank does not vent properly, the pump will typically keep pushing out fuel. Very difficult to get a vapor condition in a system with a submerged pump. Now in the systems with the external pump sucking on the lines, that is very common.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2022, 08:40:35 AM »
Unless the sparkplugs have 150,000 miles on them or were fouled by poor fuel or oil burning they are not the problem. Modern sparkplugs are not the crappy AC Delco's of the 1970's. They last a looooooooog time. If they are iridium you'll get tired of the bike before they are worm to the point of needed replaced.

There's a clear misuse of terms in this thread.

Vapor lock is when the fuel boils within the system, and displaces liquid fuel at the engine entry point.

Tank vacuum is when the pressure in the tank becomes too low to feed the carbs or pump. Seems unlikely in an EFI system, but still to be verified.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2022, 09:01:17 AM »
Very unlikely. That fuel pump is submerged under liquid fuel. That pressurizes the entire system down stream from there. Even if the tank does not vent properly, the pump will typically keep pushing out fuel. Very difficult to get a vapor condition in a system with a submerged pump. Now in the systems with the external pump sucking on the lines, that is very common.

From personal experience on my 08 Norge, it's behaving exactly as I've described - I understand the above statement, however opening the gas cap, relieving the pressure  and the bike runs fine again immediately, so....This only occurs on extremely hot days, and not very often.  Which sounds like what Bob is experiencing.  Either way, it's one alternative for him to explore...hopefully he finds the root cause.

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here