General Category > General Discussion

How long before you know?

(1/7) > >>

inditx:
I mean, riding a bike and really getting to know it?  :bike-037:

A 5, 10, 15 minute test ride will not do it I have found. Heck even a longer ride 50-100 miles won’t do it.  :huh:

Maybe you can really hate a bike in this time frame but I am just amazed that bikes I thought were perfect, for me at the time anyway, just don’t end up staying in the stable. Maybe I’m just too fickle, fair enough.

So, what say you? How long do you live with a bike before you really bond with it or put it up for sale?

inditx

Perazzimx14:
I can tolerate any bike for a few miles. Its not until you get some real saddle time do you know whats right/wrong with it. Test rides can only tell you what bikes straight away do not work.

Shorty:
I have sold most of my bikes right after the first or second tire change.  When I was younger it was boredom or "greener grass on the other side."   Or profit motive. The longest I kept any bike was about 8 years. Bonneville/sidecar rig. I gave it to my son,  but now he is getting too old for it.  :grin:  I might have to take it back....  :evil:  52 years of riding and about 50 bikes. I think fickle is the word indeed. They are only machines. You don't have to marry them.  :wink:

Ncdan:
So I wanted to try a BMW many years ago and I had only owned metrics and HD.
A couple BMW guys I knew convinced me that I should try a R100rt. So I found a nice 1985 in great shape and bought it because they said I could not just ride theirs a few miles and grow to appreciate the quality and pleasure of owning one. 
Well, after 6 months, I still had not reached that point so I gave up and sold it.
Im not belittling a BMW because I know they are fine machines but apparently not suited for every rider.

Perazzimx14:

--- Quote from: Ncdan on August 01, 2021, 04:51:00 PM ---So I wanted to try a BMW many years ago and I had only owned metrics and HD.
A couple BMW guys I knew convinced me that I should try a R100rt. So I found a nice 1985 in great shape and bought it because they said I could not just ride theirs a few miles and grow to appreciate the quality and pleasure of owning one. 
Well, after 6 months, I still had not reached that point so I gave up and sold it.
Im not belittling a BMW because I know they are fine machines but apparently not suited for every rider.

--- End quote ---

It good to know there is not a 1 size fits all. If so it would be a boring world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version