General Category > General Discussion

i really dislike navigation systems etc rant... anyone with me?

(1/22) > >>

lazlokovacs:
brain/memory vs step by step route guidance

you'd be amazed at how good the human brain is at learning and memorising routes if you just give it a try.

its also a use it or lose it situation (a lot of research out there on passive interaction v active problem solving for keeping the brain healthy)

I rode out to a megalithic stone circle with my buddy the other day. I took him to the middle of it but he was sure that it was a little further north because that was where the marker was on google maps. So while he was staring at his phone in the middle of the thing he was looking for, he was sure the thing was somewhere else. I was speechless.

He also uses a satnav and anytime we decide to go somewhere, he has to plug it into the device otherwise he's just lost. He's always surprised when I just take us there from memory.

And... anytime I've tried to use a navigation system I've felt that my visual attention to the road is impaired by every single glance at the screen. And I've definitely ridden unsafely at times, trying to get the thing to recalculate or whatever while on the road.

Also, these days, anytime I ask another biker for direction to somewhere in a city, or ask a question like are we heading north if we carry on this road? They just look at me like I'm nuts, or like how the f should they know???

And this goes for couriers and delivery guys who are spending every day riding around that particular city.

I dunno, is it just me?

I seem to have no problem looking at a map and memorising a route, the advantage being that over time I build up a field of knowledge....

Do we need tech to do everything for us?

isn't being on a motorcycle a great moment to be free of screens??

Gaaaaaa rant over, forgive me

interested in the range of opinions.

:whip2:

:thumb:

ride safe

elvisboy77:
It is optional, but helpful to find things when you are in an unfamiliar area. Unlike maps it is generally up to date and has gas stations and the like noted.

Perazzimx14:
I have friend that can look at a map and remember a weeks worth of routes. I cannot remember to the end of the driveway. I realized it the other week that while I suck at directions and buddies are great at them they rely on me for stuff they suck at like mechanical stuffs. So it works out. I fix their stuff they give me directions.

We cannot all be good at everything.

Guzzished:
I'm with you laslokovacs, if ever that solar storm thingy knocks out the satalites the only people who can find their way to the toilet and back will be us Luddites. :thumb: :boozing:

Iron Cross Junction:

--- Quote from: elvisboy77 on August 01, 2021, 03:31:12 PM ---It is optional, but helpful to find things when you are in an unfamiliar area. Unlike maps it is generally up to date and has gas stations and the like noted.

--- End quote ---

Yup.

--- Quote from: Perazzimx14 on August 01, 2021, 03:36:47 PM ---I have friend that can look at a map and remember a weeks worth of routes. I cannot remember to the end of the driveway.

--- End quote ---

That is really funny.  :laugh:

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version