General Category > General Discussion

how do I get this off?

<< < (2/4) > >>

rodekyll:
It's been a long time since I worked the parts counter for BSA.  IIRC, the pump drive gear is a brass/brass alloy part while the shaft is steel.  Very easy to gall or bind brass to steel.

. . . and I used to think the piston pump/dry sump was goofy . . .

krglorioso:

--- Quote from: oldbike54 on February 10, 2015, 03:31:57 PM ---Correct David . Of course , the Triumph style plunger pumps were an odd design , but these are English engineers
(Edward Turner , Val Page) we are talking about . Let's see , make the pistons go up and down together , and who needs a center main bearing ? :D

Dusty

--- End quote ---

The 1950s Matchless twins had a center main bearing, I believe.  I don't know that they had any better reliability than the Triumph/BSA/Norton twins did without the center bearing. 

Norton had a clever response when their flat roller main bearings went sour on the Commandos due to crank flexing; They decided the crankshaft was going to flex anyway, so fitted FAG elliptical roller bearings to the mainshafts in late 1972, I believe.  These allowed crank flexing without the predictable damage flat rollers suffered.  The Brit engineers were much better at fitting add-ons to cure initial design problems, than they were at changing the original design.  Witness the isolastic drive line mounts on the Commandos to mask the irreparable engine vibrations.  My 1974 Commando 850 Interstate has both modifications as did my (sold) 1973 and they really worked quite well.

Ralph

Sasquatch Jim:
  With an eyedropper wick in a drop of nitroglycerin under the part.  Wire it to the spark plug lead and place a pillow to catch the part.
  Fire the spark plug.

racasey:
Have you removed the oil pump (2 hex head cap screws) and pulled the oil pump drive shaft (down) away from the worm on the crank shaft?

Ciao,
Dick Casey

drlapo:
the pump is out, the cam drive gear is off, the nut at the end of the crankshaft is off
I may need to destroy the gear, i have others and i want to reuse the crankcases but not the crankshaft
I may need to split the cases and put the right side in the oven, heat it up, remove the right side main bearing with the cranskshaft and the offending gear

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version