General Category > General Discussion

Pics of the SR71 Blackbird production line....

(1/6) > >>

Penderic:

Sleek and a bit sinister looking, the SR71 is one of the fastest craft in the sky and its construction pushed the limits of using heat resistant materials. Not only titanium but heat resistant fuel, lubricants and hydraulic fluids were needed to work.

Here is a link to some factory photos of the plane under construction ... might be interesting to see for the plane enthusiasts here.  8)

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/fascinating-photos-reveal-how-they-built-the-sr-71-blac-1683754944

RinkRat II:
 Thanks Penderic, always fascinating what the Skunkworks' boys were able to accomplish. ;-T

Paul :BEER:

steven c:
 Love this plane and its story, thanks for the link.

John A:
Thanks for that post, I was stationed at Beale AFB in northern CA from '77 to '82 as a crew chief on a KC 135Q tanker so we air refueled them. Got some interesting trips with them

canuck750:
I am about as far from a conspiracy theorist as one can get so don't let the title of this interesting read scare you off, Area 51: An Uncensored History Of America's Top Secret Military Base, by Annie Jacobsen, the book was available on paper back last summer, it was about what really went on at Area 51 in the Nevada desert. The storey follows what is now declassified on the SR71 and how it was originally developed as a CIA spy plane to replace the U2 and eventually developed into the SR71 for the US Air Force. The technology developed for the aircraft and its support systems is truly fascinating. Apparently it was never authorized to fly over Russia due to the controversy created over Gary Powers unfortunate case of being captured by the Soviets. Spy Satellite technology eventually took over the role the SR71 was developed for.

I found her book after reading Operation Paperclip by the same author, a history of Nazi Scientists brought to the USA to fight the Cold War, damn good read.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version