Author Topic: Chance of worn wheel bearings or a warped rotor? LM2 Linked Brakes  (Read 1203 times)

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
Hi all,

a LM2 with linked brakes found it's way to my shed & the discs 'felt' warped.

Under medium braking with the rear pedal there's a slight pulse. Similar braking with the front lever results in pulsing through the lever & really bad pulsing as I pull up.

Putting the wheel on my balancing rod I can detect where one part of both discs appears to deviate from straight. Thing is if I carefully watch the tyre it also seems to 'wobble' slightly at one point. Thinking about it I should have marked the 2 discs & tyres to see if it occurs at the same place for all three points.

Will dodgy wheel bearings give me a firm pulse through the lever?

I'm asking more as a learning exercise & will still try some new wheel bearings, your advice will confirm/refute the possibility and push me to order replacement discs earlier rather than later if necessary.

Cheers,

Mike
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Chance of worn wheel bearings or a warped rotor? LM2 Linked Brakes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:09:57 PM »
If there is a spot on the disks that is contaminated, they can grab at that spot. Cleaning the surfaces may be all that is needed.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Scorpione

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 10:37:36 PM »
I have an LMII with linked brakes which also had this problem (but not as exaggerated as you are experiencing though).
I purchased and fitted a Tarozzi fork brace and never had the problem surface again. It also upped the handling quality a bit (added bonus).

Not sure if same issue, but putting it out there just in case FYI.

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:40 PM »
I've had worn wheel bearings give a similar result. If you have the wheel off and don't know the service history, you might as well change them. They're cheap enough and available at napa.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:40 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:10:23 AM »
Never heard of original iron discs actually warping.  I have a `81 CX100/LM II  with over 100K miles on it.   Neither the wheel bearings or the discs have ever been replaced.  If any moister gets on the  iron discs from rain/lack of riding/washing the discs then need to be ridden to make them 100% smooth again. They rust REAL quick !  Some times they get stuff on them you can't even see/feel and until you ride and use them enough they are not real smooth again.  I'll bet this is your situation.  I've owned my CX for 30 years.  :smiley:

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
I felt my LM2 original discs were warped and a dti appeared to confirm this, but after a vernier gauge check they were worn to minimum recommended thickness anyway.
I de linked them, fitted stainless discs and carbon ceramic pads. With PS15 MC up front and a PS12 at the back, they are a considerable improvement. I have had problems with the front caliper pistons being pushed back into their bores on bumpy roads but I'm hoping a fork brace will cure this trait.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here