Author Topic: 1989 MilleGT on eBay  (Read 11121 times)

Offline 89MilleGt

• Hatchling
1989 MilleGT on eBay
« on: October 03, 2015, 10:01:30 AM »
A black 1989 Mille GT is for sale on eBay (and locally in NH).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201438826940?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I no longer have any affiliation with this bike (and none with the seller). But it was my first Moto Guzzi and was the origin for my login name.

In 2012 I traded it in for the 2011 Griso SE I have now. It seems to have been sold once since by the same dealer and up for sale again.
She does get around as I was at least the 4th owner. And apparently it will again be sold for more than I got in the trade-in.

If someone here buys it, I can tell you what I know of this Mille GT.

Offline GuzziChris

• Gosling
Re: 1989 MilleGT on eBay
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »
Friggin gorgeous.  :bow:

Offline mentalfloss

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 01:23:19 PM »
That is a cool Mille and a nice thing to give its history to anyone here interested in buying it. That is one of the things I like about this place.
Guzzi's in the barn then and ... now:
2013 Guzzi Stelvio
1986 Guzzi V 65 TT (keeper!)
1985 Guzzi Le Mans IV ( sold after riding 26k miles on it)
1980 Guzzi v50 II (sweet! and sold)
2009 Guzzi Stelvio (Rode it 30k + in 2 years sad but gone)
2000 Guzzi Quota (sold but want another!

Offline analog kid

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »

I can tell you what I know of this Mille GT.

Did you install the Breva mirrors? What did you think of them?
I'm considering buying a pair for my Mille.
90 Mille GT
03 Aprilia Caponord
84 LeMans lll (project)
07 Breva 1100 (sold)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »

Offline 89MilleGt

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 07:23:29 PM »
Did you install the Breva mirrors? What did you think of them?
I'm considering buying a pair for my Mille.

Yes, replaced the stock mirrors for those in 2010. The Breva (actually on a lot of newer models) are great. So good that I sold the originals. The big reason I got them was that they stuck out much wider (several inches) than the stock mirrors. Could see around my shoulders with the new mirrors. Not much if any blur in them either. And they are inexpensive!

Some of the additions I can think of that were on the bike when I sold it:
Relays in the headlight bucket to improve lighting
- Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution to drive heated grips, extra lights (not on bike now) and headlight
- Euro headlight switch so headlight can be turned off (pilot light still on)
- LSL handlebars ( I think I still have the slightly bent originals)
- lots of stainless steel allen head bolts
- Odyssey 925 battery (overkill but helpful with the relatively weak charging of the stock alternator)
- NOS rear tail section (Harpers had it in their stash). $$$

Looks like the seat was redone and new rear shocks replacing the original Koni's when I had it.

Online grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
I sold my red '89 Mille a couple of months ago for $4,500 - a fair price I guess, but what a lot of bike for the money - essentially an updated T, T3, T5 etc.  Think of the price of a new Royal Enfield costs and what it would take to get a new SR400 - neither of them as good as most used Guzzis. 
I hope the seller of this black one does even better than I did.  The Mille's are wonderful machines with a lot of soul - like all Guzzis have. 
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline analog kid

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 01:05:51 AM »
..... they stuck out much wider (several inches) than the stock mirrors. Could see around my shoulders with the new mirrors.

That's exactly what I need. Thanks.
I have Aprilia Caponord mirrors on it now and while they look good, they don't stick out quite far enough.
90 Mille GT
03 Aprilia Caponord
84 LeMans lll (project)
07 Breva 1100 (sold)

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 12:52:03 AM »
Since this thread has several current &/or former Mille GT owners, does anybody know how many of these bikes were imported to the US?  What years?  I've seen 89s & 90s listed occasionally, but I don't remember ever seeing a 92....

I'm the 7th owner of mine & inherited a pretty complete owner & service history, but I'm trying to fill in the last few gaps.

I really like mine.  It doesn't handle as well as my Norton or have as much guts, but it is still a lot of fun to ride, has minor mechanical & electrical gremlins that keep you alert (just like the Norton), & gets as much interest as the Norton at gas stops, etc.  One nice thing is that I don't get nearly as many people coming up & saying "I used to own one of these..." when I'm riding the Mille
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:19:34 AM »
FYI-My '90 red Mille, beautiful & well farkled before picking it up from the importer @ that time, Fran Contaldi in Lillington, N.C.- gas leaking @ delivery; I pointed out loose clamp to mech. 1800 miles, crank shaft replaced w/ crack. 2200 miles, rear ring gear & drive gear replaced with 3 teeth-2 teeth broken off. Sent the rear drive to Lillington. They returned it without the stud for the lower shock eye. I found a bolt CLOSE to the stud size. 2700 miles, chrome peeling off fork sliders. 1800 miles of the 2700 ridden back & forth for these & other minor warranty issues. Under my wife's threat of writing to each moto mag informing them of our experience (I got a few each mo then), Fran agreed to buy back the bike but not replace it with another Guzi as I requested. Riding the 260 miles to Lillington to turn it in we stopped every exit to tap the bolt in tight as possible w/a rubber mallet, then approxiimately 100 miles from Lillington I had my 1st flat in 20 years.  Called Lillington, they declined to come get me & informed me they closed @ 5 pm. I removed the rear wheel, my wife took it back to the small town just passed & found a shop that fixed it. We arrived in Lillington 20 minutes before they "closed." Fran greeted my stating " Wow Dale, you've had the worst luck w/that bike than anybody I've ever known. You sure don't know how to ride a Moto Guzzi."  Really? Unfortunate because this Mille was one of the prettiest & best sounding (LaFranconi Comp's) bikes I've ever had. (59 as of now) I ride sensibly & am NOT hard on my bikes. That bike was probably my thirtieth bike having had CBX's, a Zundapp, & a wide variety of others up to that time. I've had a Jackal since & currently have a yellow Centauro. Both good, fun rides. Sumthin bout a Guzzi though & ultimately, just another bike story. Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »
Sweet looking bike and great photography by the seller.  Plus getting the real story from listers - can't beat it.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »
I sold my red '89 Mille a couple of months ago for $4,500 - a fair price I guess, but what a lot of bike for the money - essentially an updated T, T3, T5 etc.  Think of the price of a new Royal Enfield costs and what it would take to get a new SR400 - neither of them as good as most used Guzzis. 
I hope the seller of this black one does even better than I did.  The Mille's are wonderful machines with a lot of soul - like all Guzzis have.

I think you did well at $4500 on a Red Mille. I do not see this one going to $4500. It's a nice looking Tonti and looks very clean but prove me wrong. My guess is reserve is $4000 and he'll be lucky to get it. I do not see Mille's as a rare bike.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »

I think you did well at $4500 on a Red Mille. I do not see this one going to $4500. It's a nice looking Tonti and looks very clean but prove me wrong. My guess is reserve is $4000 and he'll be lucky to get it. I do not see Mille's as a rare bike.

Although all-red Mille's are very distinct bikes that I don't see very often. 

I saw a perfect all-red (frame too) Mille at the West Virginia rally a few years back that I'd give $4500 for if it showed up in person ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 03:19:29 PM »
Since this thread has several current &/or former Mille GT owners, does anybody know how many of these bikes were imported to the US?  What years?  I've seen 89s & 90s listed occasionally, but I don't remember ever seeing a 92....

I'm the 7th owner of mine & inherited a pretty complete owner & service history, but I'm trying to fill in the last few gaps.

I really like mine.  It doesn't handle as well as my Norton or have as much guts, but it is still a lot of fun to ride, has minor mechanical & electrical gremlins that keep you alert (just like the Norton), & gets as much interest as the Norton at gas stops, etc.  One nice thing is that I don't get nearly as many people coming up & saying "I used to own one of these..." when I'm riding the Mille

Only 200 in 89-90 in US. I do not believe they imported it in 91.  Europe had Mille from 87-92. In 93 along came the Strada with bigger fork tubes and mid range valves.
This is the Euro 1992 

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:20:26 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »

I saw a perfect all-red (frame too) Mille at the West Virginia rally a few years back that I'd give $4500 for if it showed up in person ....

Lannis

Well mine is all red 1990 and I'd drop over dead if it got $4500 and I have lots of up grades. But with  55k on the clock it sat in the sun at work the paint on the tank is every so slightly pimpled. Even then it shins up nice and red.  I may be able to buff it out. I tried by hand but it needs more force than I could apply with my arms. It's mechanically very sound and well taken care of but it needs a good cleaning. 
BTW it is not for sale so even if you dropped $4500 on me I probably wouldn't take it. I told my wife my in a desperately depressing period  (while hoping this medicine works on the fatigue and brain atrophy caused by mold and Lyme neurotoxins) I was going to sell it. And she keeps telling me no do not sell it cause I'll be sorry when I get better.
I have seen quite a few 90 red Mille but 89 red Mille's are rare.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:31:14 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 03:37:27 PM »

I saw a perfect all-red (frame too) Mille at the West Virginia rally a few years back that I'd give $4500 for if it showed up in person ...

As far as I know, all US Milles were either red tank and bodywork with red frames, or black tank and bodywork with black frames.  Not sure how far I know though.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »
Only 200 in 89-90 in US. I do not believe they imported it in 91.  Europe had Mille from 87-92. In 93 along came the Strada with bigger fork tubes and mid range valves.

Thanks for the info.  From this forum, it seems to me that probably at least 25% of them are still on the road.  Not too bad for a bike that was pretty consistently panned by the biker mag "experts" (underpowered, poor attempt at a retro look, an amalgamation of leftover parts from other models, etc.), apparently had a fair amount of issues when new (comments by Daleroso, & my bike's service records showing the bike wasn't really sorted out until about the 20K mile mark), & apparently was a slow seller when new.

Some other trivia that others may or may not know - I have a sales brochure showing 350cc & 650cc models (at least nominally that size) with exactly the same styling.  Apparently MG thought North Americans would like the black model best because that was the only color shown.  My parts manual lists black, "GT red", and blue-green as the available colors, but of course doesn't indicate when & where each was available.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
Thanks for the info.  From this forum, it seems to me that probably at least 25% of them are still on the road.

I'd bet it's more than 25%, but I have no proof.  I rode my '89 Mille today, and as always, it elevated my mood greatly.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 08:43:06 PM »
Thanks for the info.  From this forum, it seems to me that probably at least 25% of them are still on the road.  Not too bad for a bike that was pretty consistently panned by the biker mag "experts" (underpowered, poor attempt at a retro look, an amalgamation of leftover parts from other models, etc.), apparently had a fair amount of issues when new (comments by Daleroso, & my bike's service records showing the bike wasn't really sorted out until about the 20K mile mark), & apparently was a slow seller when new.

Some other trivia that others may or may not know - I have a sales brochure showing 350cc & 650cc models (at least nominally that size) with exactly the same styling.  Apparently MG thought North Americans would like the black model best because that was the only color shown.  My parts manual lists black, "GT red", and blue-green as the available colors, but of course doesn't indicate when & where each was available.

Here is a blue green model 1991 again it is a Euro bike. By the way the post 1990 models were mid valves and listed at 71 HP

Red 90 Mille GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 09:02:32 PM »
wow seller was greedy and over priced. Turned down over $4300+
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »

Here is a blue green model 1991 again it is a Euro bike. By the way the post 1990 models were mid valves and listed at 71 HP

Is the frame black or the same as the bodywork?
1990 MilleGT

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »
You need a better monitor.     :grin:     The one in that photo has a frame that matches the bodywork.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 09:15:52 PM »
Frame is the color of body work.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline kmartin

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 05:01:55 PM »
so who got it?
Keith Martin

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 01:31:59 PM »
so who got it?

Nobody He has it listed on his webpage for a cool $5500. Never will get it. Guy is dreaming and I own a Mille. This one ought to go in the overpriced used bike thread. Its a sweet ride but no way $5500. Notice how it got pulled cause the interest dropped after the first go around.
http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDetail.aspx?itemID=19375#gAnchor
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 02:16:45 PM »
Nobody He has it listed on his webpage for a cool $5500. Never will get it. Guy is dreaming and I own a Mille. This one ought to go in the overpriced used bike thread. Its a sweet ride but no way $5500. Notice how it got pulled cause the interest dropped after the first go around.
http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDetail.aspx?itemID=19375#gAnchor

Hey, we can only hope somebody with more money than sense buys it!  That will raise the market value for the rest of us, at least a little bit - not that I'm interested in selling mine anytime soon.  We're now sitting about where Norton owners were 2-3 years ago.  A few people were asking outrageous prices & very rarely getting them, but today those "outrageous" prices are commonplace & many Nortons are selling at or close to those asking prices.
JC

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 02:49:54 PM »

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 03:12:41 PM »
http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/mcy/5238083017.html

Well, some bikes look good with sidecars attached to them.  Apparently, the Mille isn't one of them - at least not with this particular sidecar.
JC

Offline kmartin

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
I got a cancelled notification and assumed someone bought it directly.  I think the black Mille is a beautiful bike, but no way I can go that high.  I'd still have to deal with shipping and Cal DMV.
Keith Martin

Offline mentalfloss

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »
Guzzi's in the barn then and ... now:
2013 Guzzi Stelvio
1986 Guzzi V 65 TT (keeper!)
1985 Guzzi Le Mans IV ( sold after riding 26k miles on it)
1980 Guzzi v50 II (sweet! and sold)
2009 Guzzi Stelvio (Rode it 30k + in 2 years sad but gone)
2000 Guzzi Quota (sold but want another!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 03:55:38 PM »
With a "Rat Fink" sticker on the side car....pretty cool!

My first thought was "I hope a heat gun and some elbow grease will get that thing off .... "   Are they valuable or something?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here