Author Topic: Have a new MY17 Stelvio 1200 NTX - Couple of questions  (Read 814 times)

Offline TommyR

• New Egg
Have a new MY17 Stelvio 1200 NTX - Couple of questions
« on: May 03, 2019, 12:28:36 AM »
Hello fellow Stelvio riders,
I just took delivery of a new MY17 NTX shipped from a dealer in CA, it didn`t come with an owners handbook.
I`m new to this forum and need to learn how to do effective searches, so please excuse this basic question.
What are people recommending in terms of manufacturer, weight / spec for;
I. Engine Oil
II. Gearbox Oil
III. Final Drive Oil
IV. Is a special tool needed for oil filter removal or does a standard filter wrench cup do it?
With thanks - Tommy

pete roper

Re: Have a new MY17 Stelvio 1200 NTX - Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 01:39:03 AM »
Engine?-A high quality, fully synthetic 10/60. Brand unimportant but don't buy a 'Free grandfather clock with every five litres' Wallyworld special.

Gearbox and bevelbox? The factory specifies some minor discrepancy between the two but again any high quality full synthetic gear oil with a viscosity rating of between 75/90 will be just fine for both.

The filter will be either  76mm/8 flute type or a 76mm/14 flute type. Different markets seem to get different filters. I have no idea why.

I would strongly recommend pulling the swingarm to grease both the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings at the first service as they are rarely, if ever, packed properly at the factory.

Also check the valve clearances, they should be 4thou inlet, 6thou exhaust, and balance the TB's. You will need Guzzidiag as well as a manometer to do this correctly.

Do NOT under any circumstances try to change the idle speed by messing about with the throttle stop screw or the linkage rod ends. Read up on the the tuning procedure for W5AM Guzzis and you can't go wrong. There has never been an easier bike to tune.

Pete

twowings

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 06:28:51 AM »
Downloadable manuals at af1racing.com

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 06:39:11 AM »

Offline TommyR

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 07:27:38 PM »
Thanks guys - excellent responses and very much appreciated. One final question [I think...]. Does the Guzzi have a spare power connector hidden anywhere I can hook my Garmin mount up to, or does everyone just go to the 12V socket on the left dash panel?

Cheers - Tom

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »
There is a Tom Tom connection on left side of dash around the outside of left fork you can tap into.   You’ll likely have to take off the small plastic body piece to find it.

Mark

pete roper

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 02:55:42 AM »
There's also another low wattage 12V plug in port in the arse end, under the passenger squab. On a new bike it may be hidden by the tool kit bag.

Offline TommyR

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 06:41:27 AM »
Hi there Mark, Pete, Twowings - once again, much appreciated feedback. No doubt I`ll have more questions in the future. I will get into the swingarm and rear shock unit bushings/bearings at 6000 miles. Those were the first to go bad on my old Yamaha Super Tenere - familiar territory :angry:. Cheers - Tom.

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 10:11:02 AM »
I know it might be silly, but I like the "kits" that AF1 has for maintenance.  They have the factory recommended oil (brand & weight), and all the washers/o-rings, OEM filters, etc.

Like this one:  https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=57157&sku=AF1-GUBB-OIL-KIT&description=AF1+Racing+Oil+Change+Kit+For+Moto+Guzzi+Big+Block

There are also a few youtube videos on normal maintenance and valve check/adjustment. 

Also, I suggest filling the new oil filter with oil before installing.  It holds A LOT!  I was shocked.

I think Pete & others have mentioned the specified quantities are a bit high ... like 3.5 qts specified and it should really be 3.2 qts.  If you put too much oil in these it blows out and makes a mess.

For the searches, it is a bit odd, put in a search string and it kicks off a google search of the site.

Have fun with the new bike!
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here