Author Topic: RE Classic 500 rear sprocket design  (Read 1129 times)

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
RE Classic 500 rear sprocket design
« on: January 01, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »
So, just hanging out on NY's Day as one does and I run across this video on a RE Classic 500.  Toward's the end of the video, the presenter shows how the rear sprocket & chain stays attached to the swing arm when you remove the rear wheel.  Mind blown.  Rear wheel removed clean and tidy for whatever maintenance may be needed.  This seems like an absolutely brilliant design, so I am wondering why isn't this  the standard set up for chain bikes?  There must be some significant limitation such as changing sprockets, or chain adjustment, or something.  Don't know how many RE's have this design, just saw it on this particular bike.  Love to hear from the WG collective on how long this has been around, how many RE's do this, pros and cons.  My knowledge on RE's would fill a thimble, but I know more now than I did 10 minutes ago.  Thanks for the replies.

Offline calfruit

• Hatchling
Re: RE Classic 500 rear sprocket design
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »
This design has been around forever.........my 1963 Honda CA 110 (Sport 50) has this.

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 11:14:33 AM »
My '46 Guzzi Superalce has the rear sprocket integral as part of the rear drum brake.  Drum brakes front and rear.  In both cases, the wheel can be removed separately leaving the drums, sprocket, chain all in place.  And, since the two wheels/tires are identical, they can also be swapped front to rear.  Quite clever for field repairs and scavenging parts during wartime.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 02:18:25 PM »
On the RE Bullets, probably since the 30's - all the iron barrels out of India have this, the 1937 tooling went from England to India in 1957. Google the RE QD hub. Easy to change the rear sprocket - it's cast on the brake drum, pretty much a matter of course to change the gearing, many owners have a few sprockets, both front & rear, to play with the gearing. Not particularly expensive. Hitchcocks (the RE Accessory people in the UK) have a modified rear drum that can take various toothed rings. Worked OK until the Carberry V-twin was installed - the torque would shear all 6 bolts like a hot knife through butter, so back to the solid cast drums. Very easy to change a rear tyre - a lot less involved on the RE than the V7's - loosen off the brake lever and the swingarm stay, remove the axle, take the wheel off. The only tricky bit getting it back on is ensuring the rear wheel is aligned with the front - chain adjustment is easy. Though the adjuster snails can be a bit clumsy.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 02:18:25 PM »

Offline ccoli

• Gaggle Hero
  • What? Me Worry?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 06:02:04 PM »
My ISDT Stornello had this system as well. You could also change spokes out without removing the tire.
Wisconsin MGNOC Rep
03 EVT/EML hack, 99 Bassa, SPIII, 3-78 Robins, 75 T3, 74 Eldo, 32 Sport15, Ambo custom.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 07:57:29 PM »
I'm not certain, but I think any race bike that needs a quick "pit stop" tire change has a similar set up.  Think Daytona 200 or endurance race where tires need to be changed in seconds. The sprocket and chain stays on the swing arm. 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 08:07:33 PM »
My Ducati has a single sided swingarm and I can remove the wheel and leave the sprocket and chain on the bike.   I need an electric impact wrench and rear stand to take the wheel nut off.  It also has a nifty chain adjuster set by a single torx nut.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 08:22:12 PM »
  Lets not forget BSA's , my '69 Lightning left the sprocket and brake drum on :) . Peter

Offline tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 08:54:51 PM »
Motormike:  You are correct sir on the endurance motorcycles quick change set up.  I just wonder what the reason is that it isn't the go to design for street chain driven bikes.  Cost, more complex?  Just seems it would be a preferred method to deal with rear wheel maintenance.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 05:30:04 AM »
If memory serves, all the two strokes I started out on has it.
T 500, GT 380/550/750
I think my GS 750 but getting a bit hazy after that, they began to have disc brake rear ends.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 05:53:45 AM »
If memory serves, all the two strokes I started out on has it.
T 500, GT 380/550/750
I think my GS 750 but getting a bit hazy after that, they began to have disc brake rear ends.
I had all of those except the Water Buffalo. Don't remember anything special about the rear wheel/sprocket set up on any of them. But it's been many decades.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »
I've had a few sssa bmw's. The VFR's have used the patented and licensed Elf racing design (eccentric spool chain adj.). The Gilera CX125 uses the same Elf design at the rear. The front looks a lot like an aircraft nose wheel.  R3~ 

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
I've had a few sssa bmw's. The VFR's have used the patented and licensed Elf racing design (eccentric spool chain adj.). The Gilera CX125 uses the same Elf design at the rear. The front looks a lot like an aircraft nose wheel.  R3~

Elf's licensed and patented design was used on the Guzzi Galletto of the '50s. I've heard a story that Honda threatened to sue Ducati when they first started building bikes with a single-sided swingarm. Ducati responded by sending them a photo of the Galletto swingarm and wheel. Ended that...
Charlie

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 01:44:25 PM »
I had all of those except the Water Buffalo. Don't remember anything special about the rear wheel/sprocket set up on any of them. But it's been many decades.
Please correct me, I’m a bugger for manufactured memory.

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 03:21:36 PM »
Sounds like a Norton Commando, pull the axle and pull the wheel out. Brakes and chain stay in situ. 
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here