Author Topic: Houston track day June 20 - edited to add photos!  (Read 3365 times)

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
Houston track day June 20 - edited to add photos!
« on: June 08, 2015, 06:13:52 PM »
I'll be taking the Stelvio out for the www.ridesmart.info track day at Motor Sports Ranch Houston on June 20.  The track is in Angleton, south of downtown off 288.

I'll be in Level 1 that includes classroom sessions (20 minutes class, 20 minutes track, 20 minutes rest each hour).  I've corner worked for RS before and like the way they run a track day - lots of focus on instruction and coaching.  There will definitely be a few street bikes in Level 1 (there was an R1200R and a Bandit 1200 last time), some 250 and 450 super motos, and lots of other beginners.  I'll be in the back, bolt upright!

I'm riding my bike from The Woodlands (north of Houston) and will finish prepping once there - no trailer or truck so no choice.  Let me know if you want to join and we can meet up enroute.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:30:54 PM by toma nova »
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

lucydad

Re: Houston track day June 20
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »
Tom,

Hmmm, in town.  Been wanting to do this.  You say instructors are good?  They can actually communicate?  Not an ego fest or testosterone contest?  Will look seriously into this, and may have some questions. 

Body is finally defeating the cold virus that hammered me over a week ago. 

Trumpet or Guzzi?

thanks,
Greg in Sugar Land

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »
Good track...been there a couple times in the 911 and other Porsches during a dealer event, but never on the moto. 

A real pity as I"ll be out of town until Sunday, otherwise, I'd love to do this!  Does it require full leathers or are you able to ride in normal ATTGATT that are not leathers?  Take pics if you go...would love to see how they teach here. 

Greg...my humble suggestion would be to take the bike you have more experience riding - and maybe have a friend on Speed dial to come down with a trailer...just in case. 

Have fun fellas!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

lucydad

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for your advice.  Yeah, the "what if" stuff comes to mind.  Seat time on V7R is over 12K miles now, only 2K on Trumpet.  Very different bikes on handling.  Not sure what to do.  I may opt to just go watch to get a feel for the place.  I wonder if they allow that from an old guy like me.  Got no friends with trailers.  Yeah I know what can and does happen on a track from years ago.

Still interested, just need to wrap my head around it.    :huh:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:00:48 PM »
Have fun...I've got a trailer, but heading out of town tomorrow...otherwis e would be happy to head down there with it.  HOpe you guys have good weather and get to ride...even if you don't Push it too hard, would be fun to ride the track anyway!

By the way, we had 6 riders out on Sunday for a great ride, 4 Guzzis, 1 Triumph and 1 BMW - next time maybe 5 Guzzis and 1 Triumph/Ninja, when you're up for it again, let me know and see if you can join us on our Sunday rides....realize it may cut into other activities, but perhaps you can play hooky from time to time!  Good group, great ride and a nice breakfast/brunch as part of the activities!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:02:37 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

lucydad

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 09:06:11 PM »
Paul,

Yep...need to do one of your Sundays.  Little Goose would love a romp with some other Italians. 

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »

A real pity as I"ll be out of town until Sunday, otherwise, I'd love to do this!  Does it require full leathers or are you able to ride in normal ATTGATT that are not leathers?  Take pics if you go...would love to see how they teach here. 

Greg...my humble suggestion would be to take the bike you have more experience riding - and maybe have a friend on Speed dial to come down with a trailer...just in case. 

RiseSmart allows full textile in Level 1.  Greg, you can ride in to watch - couple of bucks and a waiver at the gate, ride all the way into the back where you'll see the classroom / track entrance.

No trailer for me so I'll take off the mirrors and side cases and tape up the lights once I get there.  I'll be well below 10/10ths so I'm not worried about not being able to ride it home.

Please let me know when the next Sunday ride is, I'd like to join.

BTW, I'm autocrossing my G37 on June 21 with the BMW club at Houston Police Academy near IAH.  Not quite as fun as riding, but a great group of guys and a lot of fun under 50mph.  Porsches welcome!

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:07:19 AM »
Sounds great!!  I'll be back on the 21st, but not sure I'll make it in time for the autocross, but would LOVE to do it the next time.

Great to have you along for our next Sunday ride...

It's a fairly regular occurrence - we meet at 8:30 to 9 at the Starbucks at I-10 and Greenhouse...just down the road from MPH basically.

Cheers fellas,
Paul
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
Re: Houston track day June 20 - edited to add photos!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 09:42:17 PM »
Here is the carnage!

Actually, I had a great time in Level 1, learned an incredible amount about lines, double apex turns, and body positioning.  I received great feedback from the two on-track instructors and a lot of encouragement also.

Several riders talked to me about the Stelvio - some shocked that I'd be taking such a big girl on the track, others interested in the ride.  This was my first track day (other than some 250 motard time on a kart track) so the first few sessions were mellow, passing only on the straights.  I learned that the bike allows me to corner quite well, but when the squids twist the throttle on the straights, the 600s pull away.  Afternoon sessions allowed outside passing in turns and I definitely used that option!

I'm going to do at least two more trackdays this years, maybe even one on Circuit of the Americas in Austin!

In the paddock, lucydad's V7R on the right:

Instructor following:

Footpeg is getting close!

Sport bike in my sights

2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 10:09:06 PM »
What fun!!  Do let me know when the next ones are, I'd love to join if I'm in town and learn to ride the track too!

By the way, weather permitting, you and Greg are welcome to join if you like our Sunday ride this coming weekend.  I-10 and Greenhouse (one exit down from MPH) at 8:30 am for a nice ride...hopefully no rain!

Post some more pics, that looked like a good time!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 07:40:32 AM »
 :thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »
Good stuff.  Still trying to figure out the line that sport bike took in the last picture, did he miss the apex by a mile?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 11:35:51 AM »
Next time you pass a Sport Bike, do it with your bags still on.

That'll really get 'em.   :azn:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

lucydad

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 06:26:55 PM »
Please let me add that Tom is a supremely great guy, his Norge is a beauty with blue tape, and it was a blast to watch.
I was very impressed with RideSmart and attended a couple intro lectures.

Very interested in a first Track day this fall. 

The level III riders reminded me a lot of COTA Moto GP.

The Guzzis drew some stares and questions...fun day!  Thanks Tom for the invite!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here