Author Topic: Spilled diesel + new crampbuster = highside  (Read 2930 times)

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
Spilled diesel + new crampbuster = highside
« on: October 04, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
During a great ride led by Paul to the GRIT rally, I had the unfortunate experience to break in the Stelvio.

I was making a wide left turn at the bottom of an off ramp and did not notice the 8" wide streak of spilled diesel.  The arc of the spill was the same line I ended up turning on.  This was also the first time I was using a crampbuster and had it positioned for highway speed / rpms.  As the rear tire started to slip out to the right, I instinctively counter steered but that motion pushed down on the crampbuster.  The resulting throttle increased the rear spinning while it continued to slide out to the right.  The tire moved off the slick and caught dry pavement and boom, textbook highside off the right side.

I was thrown clear, did a little barrel roll and ended up on my feet.  No damage to my gear, a little twist of my right elbow as I broke my fall with that hand.

The bike was whipped down on the right side but only had a scrape on the bar end and the engine guard, both easily touched up.  The right fog light and bracket took a hit, light still works, bracket can be bent back square and touched up.  The right case was a total loss.  It was smashed on the lower front corner and actually bent in across the mounting side as well.  That thin aluminum is not very strong.  It is way past being hammered out and I'll need to order a new one.  The mount is a little bent but nothing a pry bar can't fix.

So, my assessment of causes.   1) spill that I did not see - I was distracted by wondering why we were turning left when I expected that we would turn right.  I should have pushed that thought out of my mind and not been in the center of the lane (you know, where all the spills and drips accumulate).  2) I was not used to the position of the crampbuster.  I did use it later that day but was much more aware of where it was on the grip and how my hand was contacting it.

Good gear works, the engine crash bars work (no paint damage).  The fog light bracket is out too far, and the cases are flimsy (though they look the ADV part).  Paul may post a photo or two.

Great GRIT rally too.

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Spilled diesel + new crampbuster = highside
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »
You walked away...great!  Glad you are OK and that the damage can be fixed with just an infusion of cash.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 05:35:10 PM »
Hey, shit happens, this could easily have been much much worse.
Glad you're ok and the bike mostly so!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline El Pescador

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 07:16:15 PM »
Motorcycle parts are much cheaper and easier replaced than organic ones.  I'm really glad to hear this ended well. 
Fair winds and following seas

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 07:16:15 PM »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »
Excellent outcome considering.  Freaking dangerous out there.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 08:19:33 PM »
 Yeah , damn , glad you are OK Tom   :thumb:

Dusty

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
Let me start by saying Tom is one tough cookie - he took a tumble like a Cirque de Soleil veteran and not even a scratch.  ATGATT baby!!!  The Stelvio has a few scratches to clean up...but still ran like a champ.  We had a great run up to GRIT, managed to find all kinds of back roads and little towns we had never seen before thanks to the Winding Roads Option on the Tomtom, and had a thoroughly enjoyable ride up on a picture postcard day, successfully managed to run 215 miles into 280 miles with all of the twists and turns we took to get there and be welcomed by the GRIT committee!

GRIT was fantastic as always...just a great group of folks, excellent food, camaraderie, camp fire and perfect tent spots in front of the lake.  What more can you ask!  Quite a few priceless jokes as well recounted in style by Randy and Ken...had us laughing for quite a while at the tables!

Turnout this morning was pretty impressive too...lots of folks showed up for Texas Turnips famous coffee cake and coffee after watching the sunrise over the lake and the early morning birds began their chirping.  "Noon Dinner", or we are used to calling it..."Lunch" of Pasta a la Bolognese was served by Beaver and a cast of helping hands...delicious carbo loading to fuel the ride home!

Needless to say at the camp fire - with Creedence Clearwater playing in the background...a good fireside chat was had by all - Laissez les bons temps rouler...n'est-ce pas Guzzi Dave and the Louisiana boys!?  See y'all at Harvest Classic and some of you up at the Okie NAR!

Cheers...I'll get some pics up shortly...
Paul
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:29:46 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 09:33:28 PM »
Glad to hear that the get-off was no worse, and a clear assessment of the root cause.   That helps you and all of US for the future!

I used to use Throttle-Rockers and Cramp-Busters, but they started to get in my way too much (maybe sort of like your one ...).

I need SOMEthing that will let me take my hand off the throttle at intervals on a long trip without having to stop the bike - I'm now using one of the things that clamps on the throttle and rests against the front brake handle to hold the throttle open .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »
A valuable lesson.. *never* cross the center line of an on or off ramp.. In Kalifornia where it never rains, they are like snot.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
Thanks for the honest report and safety advice. Also glad to hear about the effectiveness of the Stelvio crash bars - and of course, most importantly, appropriate riding gear.

First rain after a long dry spell in California brings all the oil up out of the pavement irregularities -  to the surface. That's the slipperiest time. Outside tire track tends to get scrubbed harder by cars than the inside of the curve (cars put more weight to the outside tire).
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

canuguzzi

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 11:37:55 AM »
A valuable lesson.. *never* cross the center line of an on or off ramp.. In Kalifornia where it never rains, they are like snot.

Wait until you see the lane splitters bouching up and down on wet box dots doing 50 through stopped traffic.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »
Wait until you see the lane splitters bouching up and down on wet box dots doing 50 through stopped traffic.

Those are just Darwin contestants practicing up for their big day.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »
Tom, sorry to hear you had the mishap .... so very glad you walked away from it.  Diesel ....... nasty stuff.  Thanks for the reminder about entrance and exit ramps.  Something I tend to forget.

Regards,

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »
Glad you're okay and bike is not too worse for the wear.  Yup, ATGATT.  Texas tough!!
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here