Author Topic: Trike project status NEW AND IMPROVED WITH PICTURES OF THE ACTUAL ITEM  (Read 13748 times)

Offline StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
 :thumb: :thumb:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
We're into production on the paint.  Got the basecoat on today and pulled the trike into the bay to prep it for installation.  Since we're tying up a bay and the paint booth, this will be fast-tracked through.  I might be up with the box on (less fenders) come Monday.

We took ourselves to the brewery and impeded further progress for the night.  I don't generally do that, but with two milestones passed in a week, I felt it was an occasion for  :boozing:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Got the paint on the aluminum parts.  I took pics, but in the paint booth the lighting isn't true.  The color doesn't look right on film.  You'll have to wait till I roll it outside for pics.

I'm tinkering with the wheel alignment now.  I didn't do too badly on the camber -- less than -1/2 on one wheel and right on -1/2 on the other.  Toe in is about neutral, but I'm not convinced they're pointed down the center line of the frame.  So I'm trying to figure a way to index the centerline.  I'm back at the house to get my laser level.  I think I can cast a line with that.

Tomorrow we set the box on the chassis and bolt it down.  Fenders and tank (steel parts) are still in prep.

SteveAZ

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:popcorn:

Wildguzzi.com

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
I must have missed it but I could not find how you solved the oil tank/cavitation problem. If understand the new board, we now have to search on Google to look up old posts.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
I'll boil the three weeks of grief and fear down to one sentence:  Bad pump body o-ring.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
Great. I guess when you hear hoofbeats  you won't be looking for zebras. :laugh:

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
So I'm trying to figure a way to index the centerline.

I can see that the end of the crank is available. How about hanging a plum bob to the ground from there and then one from each of your rear most outboard hard points and triangulate from there.

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
I was able to shoot my laser level down the centerline and mark it on tape.  Then triangulation was easy.  Once I could tell which wheel was pointed where it was easy to tweak the adjusting cams to 0,0,0.  I think that's a good place to start.

Still having problems with the parking brake.  This is essential since there's no mechanical connection between the engine and the road -- can't use the transmission as a brake.

Today Ron hasn't shown up yet (party at this house last night) so I'm installing stuff like the mirrors and trailer hitch.  I'm home right now for more parts and a can of gunk to delouse the rear chassis before setting the box on it.

Oh -- and the crank snout gets covered in the traditional way.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Ron didn't show.  I guess we'll put the box on tomorrow.  I got some more details done on the trike and took a ride on the bike.  Then I did deli dinner at Herring cove, way out the end of the road.  A salmon swam by, completely undressed, and embarrassingly fat to run around like that.  So I did it a favor and dressed it.  Tomorrow I'll teach it how to smoke. 

Online Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
Ron didn't show.  I guess we'll put the box on tomorrow.  I got some more details done on the trike and took a ride on the bike.  Then I did deli dinner at Herring cove, way out the end of the road.  A salmon swam by, completely undressed, and embarrassingly fat to run around like that.  So I did it a favor and dressed it.  Tomorrow I'll teach it how to smoke.
:1:
Now I'm getting envious.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Fish goes on racks in about half an hour.  Dries and sets till about noon tomorrow and then we put the smoke to it for a day or so.

The box is on the chassis and mounted securely.  I got stopped on the next step -- mufflers -- because I cut a pipe too short.  Progress continues tomorrow.

Ron says now that he sees it nearing completion the pressure is on for him to get the fenders and tank done.  So he may get on them before the weekend.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
King salmon is a pink fish (unless white).  We use the secret family recipe including salt and brown sugar to brine them to the color of freshly peeled black cherries in sunlight.  Then we put them on racks to drip and dry until the surface takes a dry tack.  During this time the color dulls.

Once at the proper tack we run cold alder smoke on them for 20 - 30 hours, depending on what we're after.  Around about 20 hours the color starts to pop and it starts looking like it was painted (badly) with a candy color.  Then we're after the proper dryness for whatever effect we want.

If you want to try some, be at Deep Forest this year.  I'm not going to be there but I'm sending a side of fish.

MotoGoosy

It needs thrust-rockets.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
It needs thrust-rockets.

A couple of these borrowed from a C130 should do the trick  :thumb:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:16:36 AM by tris »
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Looking good. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Can't wait to see the piccies of it with it's clothes on.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Exhaust is hung end-to-end, floorboards and steering brakes are installed, hatches are bolted down and the cargo box deck is in place. 

Tomorrow the forward decking goes down, the radiator gets installed and I start putting finish bits on the panels.  I took some pics, but they'd be spoilers right now.  I'll wait for the final assembly (or nearly so) to post more pics.

Ron says yes, we should have it completed by the 4th.

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
Why would you run those style of rear wheels? Considering the rear and front for that matter are now going to deal with lateral loads whay would you run motorcycle wheels on the rear?
Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Why doesn't a hack run car tires?

Offline dsrdave

• Gaggle Mentor
Some hacks do run car tires.  It's a matter of getting the proper wheels laced.  As for alignment you'll probably want a slight bit of toe in on the rear for stability.  If you notice some "darting" about under braking you need more toe in.  I suspect  0.060 to 0.100 total toe at the rear.
2-850T, 2-1000 convert/hacked, V11 sport, V50, centauro, '97 sport 1100, '71 V7 ambo, '76 850 Lemans,CX100,"83 LM III,1000SE, '91 LM V, '07 Griso, '53 super alce,moto parilla, zigolo, Lodola 175, Lodola 235,  '07 norge, '67 stornello, 57galletto, Nuovo Falcone, stornello ISDT, 52 Airone sport

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Thanks for the toe hint.  I set it as close to neutral in all directions as I could  It should be easy to turn them in from there.

I tried to find thin auto tires and rims.  It just wasn't happening for me.  They don't fit the theme.  Fat tires on a trike look silly in my opinion, so they were out of the question.  I am using 6-ply, fairly flat aspect 4.00/19 TT Duro tires on the rear.  A real bear to mount.  I looked at the 'real' hack tires and couldn't find much wider than 3.50 in a 19 and I couldn't find 6-ply sidewalls. 

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
You might try a square profile sidecar tire on the front. I've found that a round profile lacks the authority to turn a three wheeler and the front just slides leading me on unfortunate paths especially on decreaseing radius corners.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:03:05 AM by john A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Do you know of any tubeless square profile tires?  All these rims are tubeless.  It seems a shame to run tubes in them.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Unfortunately I don't , I don't remember what kind of tire I use but I'll go and look,I am on my way up to the vet's hospital soon, just an appointment .whatever it is I've had good luck with them.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
*yawn*

I'm just getting up (2:30P local time).  After yesterday with the morning spent on real work, the afternoon on the trike, the evening catching more kings and all day/night tending the smokehouse I ran out of steam about 5:AM.  Luckily my neighbor has fish in the box too, so he took over smokehouse duty for me.

Just getting the thin pieces out of the smoke.  It's darn yummy stuff.  The thicker/larger pieces could be in another 6-12 hours.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
The fish makes me hungry! I run Metzler K blocks on the front and on the car. They are tube type so I do run a tube. I've been eyeing antique car tire websights but haven't tried one yet but I did find a 17 for the rear so that's next. The handling improvement with the square profile as a steering tire is worth it for me to run a tube but I'm hoping to find a tubeless at Coker tire or somewhere when I need one.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Coker was a brand I researched extensively when I was at this point of design -- we'd had a discussion on the wheels and all here when I was doing it.  Coker has some good replica stuff and I was considering knock-off hubs and brit wheels on the rear.  The thinnest they had was about 5" in the diameters I was looking at.  That was still a little wide for the look I wanted, and the rim choices were limited -- didn't think I could get a wheel diameter and final drive ratio that worked together. 

I also wanted the three wheels to match, and I was getting frustrated trying to work a brit rim into a guzzi hub.  When it was all said and done I went with 19" BMW/7 lesters on the rear and made adapter plates to side mount them to the Ford hubs.  I used a Guzzi 18" Lester on the front.  I wanted to go BMW up front so I could carry a mounted spare that fit any corner.  The axle diameter was too small.  I couldn't get a compatible bearing to go from the small axle/taper bearing to the large axle/ball bearing.

lawries

:popcorn:
Looking forward to an update  :grin:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
It's been busy around the hovel d'rodekyll this week.  The salmon are running the beach out at the end of the road, and I've been running out the end of the road to run the salmon running the beach.  There's a window of a couple of weeks to lay in what I can, and the time spent catching only qualifies me to spend more time putting it up.  So the trike progress has been slow.

Got the rear deck lid set up with an electric door popper connected to a couple of Jackal seat releases for push-button opening.  The radiator fan thermoswitch components are wired up and the basic dashboard layout is done.  Still waiting on Ron to paint the fenders and other remaining parts.

In another topic I bought a valeo knockoff starter.  It didn't work out-of-the-box (DOA).  The seller didn't offer an exchange, but didn't bat an eye at a return, either.  A genuine valeo is now on the way.  Once installed I'll be driving it around the immediate area of the shop for various tests.  I don't want to take it out much without the fenders though.

Parking brake is still an issue.  It engages, but if left overnight it won't release; I have to crack a bleeder to cycle it.  It's driving me nuts.  With no way to use the transmission as a brake on account of there's no transmission, a parking brake is a requirement.

dilligaf

David posted "The salmon are running the beach out at the end of the road, and I've been running out the end of the road to run the salmon running the beach".

:boozing:
Matt

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here