Author Topic: advice on dusk/dark riding? not done it since around 1974...  (Read 12191 times)

canuguzzi

Re: advice on dusk/dark riding? not done it since around 1974...
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
The topic was dusk and dawn, not at night and not about being an adult or afraid. Healthy fear is just that, healthy and why some people live a long time and some don't. I always thought part of being an adult was to make better decisions and not do things to prove how fearless I am.

Not just about hitting deer or larger animals but during those hours there is less contrast and things become shades of gray, you lose depth perception. Colored lenses don't make a difference. Rocks and other debris is very hard to see at dusk and dawn.

The OP was smart, and adult and asked the question. It isn't about proving some lack of fear or telling mother nature to stuff itself, you're riding in the highest risk time of day.  But what does anyone know, lots of fearless riders out there, read about them often.

lucydad

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »
All,

Wow lots of good info (as always) and experience sharing.  Processing the data.

Deer are on my mind locally due to some big new construction projects by the Brazos River (displaces wildlife).  So are other critters.  Wonder how good the lights are on the V7R?  Reasonable?  Never did much like the small rear light.  Dusk will be the time, after rush hour, away from the major roads and bars. 

Will give it a try later this week.  Just back from a 200 miler on the Trumpet, in the heat.  Hydrating, resting and need a nap.

Moto

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 03:22:14 PM »
Regarding deer, I would point out that the prevalence may have changed a lot since your last experience in 1974! They have increased by leaps and bounds here (sorry!). Also they may be more or less a problem where you are. In Wisconsin there were 18,000 deer strikes by vehicles last year. I don't ride as often at dusk as I used to, and I try to be very cautious when I do. Take care.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
RK make a great point about the deer can get you at any time.

I was just riding the EV a couple of hours ago, 96 degrees, 12 July at 1:30 pm, and a deer, 4 ft 3 1/2 ft at the shoulder, runs left to right across the road in front me (Cross Timbers N of Lk Arcadia).  I hit the brakes and take a huge breath. 

I can't remember when this has happened to me before on a bike. 

wow
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:29:37 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 03:40:02 PM »
PS on this morning ride in the mountains (one hr after official sunrise) I saw only a group of turkeys (no not other motorcycle riders :)  )

PPS weather makes a difference too.  On cloudy/rainy days wildlife will be more active later in the day and earlier in the afternoon.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
If I have to ride on the mainland at night,  I'm on an interstate and I follow a truck.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 05:45:04 PM »
Some people make the deer look look smart...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8UPHMzZm8
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 05:59:49 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2015, 05:55:26 PM »
 :shocked:  :grin: :grin: :grin:   :grin:  Maybe the deer need more education.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »
:shocked:  :grin: :grin: :grin:   :grin:  Maybe the deer need more education.  :shocked:

Wonder if they can read the signs at dusk/dark?
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 07:28:43 PM »
Back in '70s & '80's most of my long distance riding was at night (aid indeed by a big spotlight) but now, the older my eyes get, the less comfortable I am riding at dusk & night time. At dusk the contrast & depth perception, or lack of it, becomes an issue. Dawn doesn't seem to be as much a problem - the eyes seem to work better, and better light is coming. I'll often sit out the final stages of last light & wait for full dark. At night, the vision is better than dusk, and better out of built up areas & on-coming traffic. Yellow lenses really do help with the contrast & the glasre at night, especially in the wet.

Am  V7 headlight is better than lots of other bikes, but still not adequate. I've mounted small LED spot lights, wired into high beam, that make a huge difference to my confidence in night riding - can see a lot further up the road and the bends don't come as such a complete surprise. Wouldn't be without them.not as many "brown pants" moment. Even if the policy is not to ride at night, I often seem to get caught out.

Riding at dusk & dark can still be fun, so long as I'm reasonably fresh & alert, but riding is usually more enjoyable in full light. It still doesn't stop me riding with the "Thursday Thunderers" of an evening, just must be wary.

While your eyes are holding up, keep on going.

And I know about those Bungendore roos - one tried to put his head between my wheels - 4am between the Showground & town - made for a slow & nervous trip north until sun up.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

lucydad

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 09:11:39 PM »
I think I will talk to Mike at MPH about the V7R lighting.  It will be my dusk rider due to its easy going nature.  I bought a front LED rechargeable USB light recently for my bicycle.  Dang it is powerful!  More light around make sense.  Maybe light up that beautiful engine with some LEDs also?  See lots of that stuff around Houston. 

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2015, 10:16:07 PM »
Maybe light up that beautiful engine with some LEDs also?  See lots of that stuff around Houston.
  Um no...that's not for a Guzzi.  Please...only at Xmas time perhaps and then OFF!  :)  If you want to make yourself more visible, add some of the Skene lights Tom is sporting on his Stelvio that really light things up!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:17:29 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »

Or, you can be an adult and decide what your risk level is for yourself.

The voice of reason, devoid of all paranoia . Thanks Wayne.
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

canuguzzi

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2015, 11:48:39 PM »
^^

Thought everyone was here to ask questions and gain information and opinions they might not know. Just what does being an adult have to do with any of this? Didn't see any non-adult discussion nor any paranoia.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2015, 08:18:14 AM »
If I have to ride on the mainland at night,  I'm on an interstate and I follow a truck.

I used to do that, until a trailer tire disintegrated in front of me!  Narrowly missed one of the large pieces of tread that was thrown about head high.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 08:27:02 AM »
^^

Thought everyone was here to ask questions and gain information and opinions they might not know. Just what does being an adult have to do with any of this? Didn't see any non-adult discussion nor any paranoia.

You're right.   The whole point of the board is to get other people's views.   

I don't quite understand the responses sometimes when someone asks "I'm thinking about a new Guzzi" or "How do people feel about riding at night?" or "What do you think about riding without a helmet?" ...

... and people say "You're a big boy, decide for yourself!"    Yes, I know I'm a big boy, but I can always learn something from someone else's experiences or opinions .... That's why I ask!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2015, 09:18:53 AM »
Back when I was young and "unwise" I rode a lot at night, generally bar-hopping. Thankfully I survived. Anyway I had those deer whistle things mounted and I'm not sure if they helped or not but I was riding in serious deer country (the UP of MI). I dumped the bike in more than one bar parking lot, I never hit a deer. These days I wised up and never drink and ride and only occasionally go out t dusk/evening. Generally I avoid it. If you must, do as others suggested. Try the deer whistle thingys if you can find them, can't hurt.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2015, 09:38:42 AM »
Deer are bad but Turkeys are pretty bad also.  I've had flocks fly across the road at head / windshield height here in California.  Of course the difficulty in hunting turkeys here adds to the problem.

On one of my last trips through the Gold Country I learned that my aftermarket exhaust do influence the deer.  Being a deer hunter I can usually spot them long off.  I've seen them alert, watch and then with my few well places blips of the throttle high tail it away from me at a quarter mile.  I figured the Baritone of my Griso's muffler sounded like a bear looking for supper. 

I'm really nervous around deer up close and slow down to a walk because I know deer employ the Crazy Squirrel running technique.   Also there's always Tali-Bambi to contend with - suicide deer bent on your destruction
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2015, 09:43:39 AM »
The infamous Tali-bambi.  State bird of Talabama.

(Thank you! I'll be here for two shows a night, all day.  Don't forget to tip your waitress!)

prof_stack

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2015, 09:45:50 AM »
In the city I'm more concerned about distracted and impaired drivers, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.  I used to love taking evening rides on the Electra-Glide with those bright running lights beaming brightness ahead of the big Harley. 

It seems that as I get older I'm more aware of the risks in riding.  Oh, to be young, ignorant, and naive again!   :wink:

Moto

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
I used to do that, until a trailer tire disintegrated in front of me!  Narrowly missed one of the large pieces of tread that was thrown about head high.

I have a former truck-driver friend, also a rider, who believes in getting away from all big trucks as quickly as possible. So I gave up tailgating them, since I trust his experience and judgment.

Moto

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »
LD depends on where you're going.  Just rode I45 Dallas-Galveston  and back this week end.  Left 5AM both days.  Full light by 6:15.  Did so to avoid traffic and worst of the heat.  Midnight to 5AM  too many drunks.  Have rarely seen deer on I45 corridor.  Last year I rode or drove it weekly.  Lights on both Stones are adequate.  I would not ride at night, dawn or dust West of Houston or South of I10.  Deer and Hogs.  I do ride east to and sometime start rather early but ride cautiously between High Island and Winnie- Alligators.  Secondary roads use extra caution and reduce speed.  If you know the roads and typical traffic and wildlife patterns you should be able to judge the difficulty.

Dave
Galveston
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:00:44 PM by davedel44 »
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 04:00:15 PM »
I like to follow trucks at night.  Notice I said "follow", not "slipstream" or "tailgate".  In Canada they have cowcatchers on front of the over-the-road rigs.  Can't beat that.

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »
I also suggest yellow googles. They seem to lighten things up.

As far as deers go... Do these things work?

Deer Whistles.

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Products-LLC-0001-Save-A-Deer/dp/B003XNGLJU

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:30:06 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »
Deer whistle only because they can't sing.  Elk trumpet because they're too big to whistle.  Moose don't get musical because they don't care.

A few years back someone posted a picture of a bike and deer wadded up together.  Clearly visible on the front fender was a pair of deer whistles.  Someone opined that a deer whistle is like a dog whistle  . . .

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »
Yellow (or any other color) goggles just filter light.  All they do is remove some colors of light meaning you have *less* light reaching your eye when you use colored lenses.

Deer whistles are snake oil.  If your engine and exhaust noise don't alert the deer a little whistle isn't going to help.

If you are worried about deer educate yourself about them.  Learn about their habits, psychology and reactions - learn from real sources, not mythology from internet forums.

if you educate yourself and learn how to ride safely in your environment and learn what to look for and where to look for it and when to look for it your chances of avoiding risky situations are very greatly improved.  If you go through life thinking that deer are magical creatures that cannot be avoided and you believe you have no power to prevent them from hurting you they probably will.

Good luck!  Ride safe!
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 05:33:52 PM »
Even having hunted deer for many years they still surprise me.  Most of the time I see them when I expect them to be active.  But.....

My closest encounter was between 9 and 10 am in AZ going up to Prescott from Phx (Yarnell hill).  Sunrise was around 6am.  Temps were in the high 80's.  The road dropped off on the other side of the guardrail.  They came up that slope and jumped onto the road.  Their heads appeared above the rail just as they jumped.  No warning at all.

No real reason for them to have been out at that time of day at that time of year (late Aug).

And don't let your guard down because someone is in front of you.  I've seen deer jump across the road just after a car or bike goes by.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »
Sounds like a real cow.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »
I tipped a waitress once , she filed a hostile work environment suit against me  :police:

Dusty

Mus' be cuz' she had a skirt on.   :grin:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »

I don't follow that close.  Otherwise you're asking for it.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here