Author Topic: Stranded again... suggestions  (Read 16692 times)

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Stranded again... suggestions
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
Or you could be using the wrong oil....

(ducking and running!!!)

Really...order the kit and enjoy many miles of not worrying
about it anymore!!!!

Ride safe and often,

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »
Or you could be using the wrong oil....

(ducking and running!!!)

Really...order the kit and enjoy many miles of not worrying
about it anymore!!!!

Ride safe and often,

Jeff

There ya have it , words of wisdom never more true  :bow:

Dusty

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond today... I was working on a job and didn't have internet access... and yes I did order the KIT this morning from MPH... they said it cures 90% of the problem... thanks!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 09:09:16 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond today... I was working on a job and didn't have internet access... and yes I did order the KIT this morning from MPH... they said it cures 90% of the problem... thanks!

They are being modest . Good move Guy  :thumb:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 09:09:16 PM »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2015, 09:14:10 PM »
  The way to not get stranded is to never travel far from home.
 On the other hand getting stranded can be an adventure, possibly life changing.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

biking sailor

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:49 PM »
In the mean time, always park on a steep hill and bump the clutch with it in third gear.   :evil:

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:17 PM »
In the mean time, always park on a steep hill and bump the clutch with it in third gear.   :evil:

Moto Guzzi

For those who miss owning an old English motorbike

Dusty

biking sailor

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 05:51:03 AM »
In all seriousness, I have been stranded on bikes that are really heavy and that the starter would not turn the engine over, usually weak battery.  Living in central Oklahoma you can't always find a convenient hill so I have asked passers by to help me push start it.  Of course I don't ask those that may not be physically able, but I have never been turned down when asking a couple younger guys for help.  Most of the times this has happened, they acted eager to help.

Maybe sometimes people like being part of the experience and it gives them something to talk about later?  If it happens again, get the bike ready (in a mid gear and your gear ready as you don't want to make them stand around while you prepare) and wait for the right folks to come by. 

kris

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 08:49:42 AM »
I have 20014 Norge, is this something I should be concerned about?  Taking a trip in few weeks and would hate to get stranded!  :bike-037:

Kris

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2015, 10:16:47 AM »
I have 20014 Norge, is this something I should be concerned about?  Taking a trip in few weeks and would hate to get stranded!  :bike-037:

Kris

I don't think they have changed the wiring on the newer bikes. Either buy the kit from MPH or else perform your own fix (much less expensive).

There is a long thread around here on Startus Interruptus (I have no idea if I spelled that right) in which KevM gave some instructions on wiring this up yourself. I followed the instructions, I had most of the bits lying around the garage, and have not had a problem since.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »
As far as bump starting it, I tried that the other month just to see if I could do it. Every bike I've owned in the last 40 years was able to do it. I live on a nice size hill and I tried starting my 1200 sport in just about every gear, And all it did was skid the rear wheel. I weigh about220 pounds fully dressed and it did not want to move that rear wheel in any gear it either skidded or Bucked. Anybody have any luck starting at 1200 sport on a hill? If so let me know how.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

canuguzzi

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 11:48:03 AM »
As far as bump starting it, I tried that the other month just to see if I could do it. Every bike I've owned in the last 40 years was able to do it. I live on a nice size hill and I tried starting my 1200 sport in just about every gear, And all it did was skid the rear wheel. I weigh about220 pounds fully dressed and it did not want to move that rear wheel in any gear it either skidded or Bucked. Anybody have any luck starting at 1200 sport on a hill? If so let me know how.

I just have to ask, are you purposely trying to be difficult?

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »
methinks I smell a troll..  trolls are exceedingly stinky..  don't feed the trolls..   :violent1:
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
methinks I smell a troll..  trolls are exceedingly stinky..  don't feed the trolls..   :violent1:

Geez fellas , the OP already said he listened and ordered the MPH startus interruptus fix . Hell , let's not be to quick to judge , so far he hasn't physically threatened anyone , or called anyone stupid .

Dusty

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
Geez fellas , the OP already said he listened and ordered the MPH startus interruptus fix . Hell , let's not be to quick to judge , so far he hasn't physically threatened anyone , or called anyone stupid .

Dusty

Yeah,  I'm not seeing where the OP went Troll.  He thanked everyone for the advice...what am I missing?
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »

Kris

IMO Startus Interuptus isn't something to be "concerned" about.  It's aggravating sure but every time I've seen it happen the bike in question eventually started.  In one instance it did blow the fuse and I had to get off and replace that.  But no hurries no worries.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »
I just have to ask, are you purposely trying to be difficult?

Well, I'm not as energetic as I once was, but I have only once been successful in bump-starting my Norge. I haven't had to try too often, but it was a largely futile effort in most of those few cases. Since our OP has taken steps to deal with the starter, I figure we can wait to see the outcome of that...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

ridingron

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »

Did it skid in 4th and 5th? That good that you can practice. If you ever need it and only have 1 shot at it, you'll know how to do it.

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »

Moto Guzzi

For those who miss owning an old English motorbike

Dusty

:laugh: ~has a nice ring to it.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2015, 09:58:05 PM »
If the battery has lots of capacity all you have to do is provide a hot wire from the battery direct to the solenoid spade connector and it should crank.

If the battery is flat put the bike in second then pull it back against compression.
Just before dropping the clutch lift up and crash down on the seat and drop the clutch (don't let it out slowly) the engine should be able to get up some speed before it strikes compression, the momentum will take it over.

17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2015, 03:26:25 PM »
Must admit to not being able to bump start the Breva, rocked it back to ease the compression, tried it in every gear but it still just locked the back wheel.

My problem was the metal shield inside the starter motor came adrift and was shorting out the windings.  Could not see the need for it so I ditched it and it has been all good since.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »
IMO Startus Interuptus isn't something to be "concerned" about.  It's aggravating sure but every time I've seen it happen the bike in question eventually started.  In one instance it did blow the fuse and I had to get off and replace that.  But no hurries no worries.
Dilli,
     C'mon buddy, not everyone wants to sit around an hour for their bike to start again.  Maybe you have a lot of time on your hands or EVENTUALLY have to get back to work, but the no hurries, no worries thing doesn't apply to everyone out there.  I hope you don't live your life thinking everything fixes itself eventually. 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2015, 09:36:49 PM »
Doesn't seem like a bike you'd want to use in a bank robbery.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2015, 03:30:28 AM »
Faced with a bike that just won't turn over it's hard to know just what the problem could be

A) Loose or bad connection on the battery
Scrape the terminals and always apply Vaseline to prevent oxidation

B) Loose ground
Measure the Voltage from an unrelated part of the chassis to the battery Negative post while trying to crank, it should never go over 0.2 Volts
The best place for the ground is bolted to the engine or gearbox, add some Vaseline or grease to prevent corrosion.

C) Bad starter
Measure the Voltage across it while trying to crank, anything over 10 Volts and it should be spinning, less than that suspect D

D) Flat battery or dud battery
Measure the Voltage while trying to crank right at the battery terminals not the lugs or the bolts, right on the posts, anything over 12 .5 Volts should be plenty to crank, over 11 Volts while cranking is a healthy battery.
Have someone watch the tail light if it stays bright while the bike is trying to crank it's not lack of Volts, the tail light should not be effected by Startus Interuptus.

E) Startus Interuptus
Eliminate this by touching a wire from the spade connector on the solenoid to battery positive or the hot terminal of the solenoid, be prepared for a spark, it's up to 50 Amps so don't use a tiny wire. And please make sure the bike is in Neutral, preferably with the clutch pulled in. If the bike spins over you have eliminated A,B,C & D leaving only E 
How it spins with a jumper is how it should always spin and will once you do the fix.

It's 2 AM, I'm sure I missed something
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:56:25 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Trevor G

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2015, 04:04:53 AM »

The important thing, the almost only real thing about bump startiung is:

2) Always drop the clutch, let it flick out.  If you relaease it slowly it will reach compression and then not go over because the clutch will slip

1) Pull the engine back on compression before starting forward motion with the clutch in and follow 2 carefully.

0) Use 2nd or third and be ready to pull the clutch as soon as it fires, otherwise the engine will bog because of the low road speed.

-1) Roll off in neutral or a false neutral so that you can flick it into the gear you want and drop the clutch without the extra friction of rotating clutch plates and transmission

biking sailor

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2015, 08:01:20 AM »
The important thing, the almost only real thing about bump startiung is:

2) Always drop the clutch, let it flick out.  If you relaease it slowly it will reach compression and then not go over because the clutch will slip

1) Pull the engine back on compression before starting forward motion with the clutch in and follow 2 carefully.

0) Use 2nd or third and be ready to pull the clutch as soon as it fires, otherwise the engine will bog because of the low road speed.

-1) Roll off in neutral or a false neutral so that you can flick it into the gear you want and drop the clutch without the extra friction of rotating clutch plates and transmission

Oh thing I would add is find a couple healthy young guys to help push it for you. Much easier that way.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
KIT INSTALLED, PROBLEM SOLVED, CASE CLOSED...........I hope!?!
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2015, 05:05:46 PM »
 :thumb:

Worked for me for over a year.  Installed the MPH kit on July 4th, 2014, and declared my independence from 'startus interruptus.'  Not a failure of the starter motor to crank for 14 months and 10,000 miles.

Wish the same for your Sport.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

ajonen

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2015, 05:53:44 PM »
Another happy startus interruptus customer here.  IMO these should just be a standard install on any CARC.
The first gen Norge seems to be the most prone.
Essentially there just way too much resistance  between the starter and the switch.  When the battery is just a bit low the starter will not engage.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »
KIT INSTALLED, PROBLEM SOLVED, CASE CLOSED...........I hope!?!

Good to hear!  Congrats!   :thumb:  Now you can pay for your consulting fees by making a donation for the operation of the forum.   :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here