Author Topic: can I run rear tire to bald? or change now?  (Read 13285 times)

lucydad

can I run rear tire to bald? or change now?
« on: October 03, 2015, 04:42:07 PM »
Guys,

V7R rear tire is down to about 1/16" tread.  And it is pretty flattened off due to our flat Gulf coast roads.  Did a nice 100 miles today, on a gorgeous early fall cool/dry day.  Fall is actually dawning.

Should I squeeze another 500 miles out of the tire?  Definitely I will change it before wet winter kicks in.

Now that I will be retired (Monday) I need to start pinching those pennies I guess.

Thanks!

Offline Peter from Sch'dy

• Hatchling
Re: can I run rear tire to bald? or change now?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 04:46:44 PM »
Do you have dependents? :thewife: Is your life insurance fully paid up?

Best,
Peter

Bill Hagan

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »

Look at your avatar.

I think that answers your question.   :wink:

Bill

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »
I've run the tread on a rear tire down to where the center was pretty much bald without noticing anything unusual, but I don't ride much in the rain.  I try to change it before that point though.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »

lucydad

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »
Hmm, sounds like the advice is "nope".  The thin Guzzi rear tire compared to the almost new STRX rear is obvious.

Won't get the change done this week, I am off to Durango, CO on Wednesday.  When I get back I will swan into MPH for a change out.  The new tire will be part of my camping-re-rig project. 

Thanks guys!

Oh, did I tell you I was compelled to "digitize" an oncoming Mercedes ass-hat in my lane while on FTM 359 this morning. Typical jerk passing and I had to move to road shoulder to keep from being creamed.  Love these guys.

nunzio

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 05:01:57 PM »
How good are you at SUDDENLY riding on one tire?

lucydad

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 05:06:46 PM »
Nunzio,

Excellent point--as some of our FTM roads are really rough surfaces.  And we ride those roads fast. Yep, I will get her done.   :shocked:

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
This is what mine look like before I start thinking about a replacement.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »
Oh, did I tell you I was compelled to "digitize" an oncoming Mercedes ass-hat in my lane while on FTM 359 this morning. Typical jerk passing and I had to move to road shoulder to keep from being creamed.  Love these guys.

I've had that happen a few times while riding my bicycle, and it's equally maddening.  And on the roads around here, there's no shoulder to move onto.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:48:44 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
90% of tire failures happen in the last 10% of tread.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Online Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 05:50:46 PM »
Running it totally bald is false economy I think.  If you get another 500 miles of it, and you do that for ten straight tires you will have gotten 5000 extra miles out of all your tires.  If each tire gives you say 7000 miles you will probably get to enjoy your savings and a free tire at about 70,000 miles on your odometer.  However, you will have the excitement of daring a blowout instead of enjoying the beautiful ride of the V7. 
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Offline Silver Goose

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 06:04:03 PM »
Rubber is cheap, Skin, is very expensive!

Retirement coming, live to enjoy it.

Good Luck
2007 Norge
2002 BMW K1200 LT
1959 Indian/enfield
1964 Norton
2008 Can Am Spyder

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 06:10:53 PM »
:SRV's 'Texas Flood' in background: Get a new tire, please.  Hydroplaning is bad.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 06:14:47 PM »
They say the closer the tire get's to no more tread the faster it wears.  But if I'm not going to be riding in the wet I run them 'til they're bald.  Never had a tire let down yet in that condition.  :boozing:  Heck I've run tires @ 70 mph with gusty winds with 1/16" of tread in the rain thru curves and the tires still felt like new.  :cool:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:07:50 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »

But you are a pro; most of us, amateurs and "don't -- or shouldn't -- try that at home."  :bow:

[Oh, Buon Compleanno, Wayne!   :wink: ]

Now, back to the OP.  I have corded any number of tires, but try to change 'em now sooner.  No expert like WO, but it seems to me that tires may last X miles but performance is noticeably degraded after ⅔ wear. 

Bill

Bill 

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »
You will be amazed at how fast that tire goes from being..."well that looks OK to me"...to cord showing.  Bear in mind that most motorcycle tires only have a couple wraps of cord so when you see them you are down to about 1/32" of stuff between you and mortality.  It's a false economy.  I tend to change early.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 06:56:56 PM »
Save your tire $'s, get a new salad bowl helmet and a tattoo.  :wink:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »
I've been on two out of state rides that when I came home with some cord showing.

Don't recommend it.  I order new tires when the wear bars show.  Never go on a trip with wear bars showing. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 09:13:49 PM »
I've been on two out of state rides that when I came home with some cord showing.

Don't recommend it.  I order new tires when the wear bars show.  Never go on a trip with wear bars showing.

Yes, before starting a long distance trip, I always start with tires in better condition so I don't have to replace them on the trip.  But for riding on local rides..........I'll wear the tread down as far as I can before replacing them.   :grin:

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 09:19:12 PM »
Anyone that claims a tire worn past 50% hasn't lost significant performance is either numb or less than honest.

Anyone  knowingly running a tire to the cord is being foolish, regardless of road surface.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 09:25:38 PM »
Anyone that claims a tire worn past 50% hasn't lost significant performance is either numb or less than honest.

Anyone  knowingly running a tire to the cord is being foolish, regardless of road surface.

Bad Chad, I'm speaking from over 50 years of MC experience.  If you want to question what I say, fine.  Unlike some here I don't need a like new MC tire to keep me happy on the road.  I adapt to what I have just like when I used to road race.  But I suppose in your mind I can't possibly have more experience riding a MC than you do, right?

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »
Guys,

V7R rear tire is down to about 1/16" tread.  And it is pretty flattened off due to our flat Gulf coast roads.  Did a nice 100 miles today, on a gorgeous early fall cool/dry day.  Fall is actually dawning.

Should I squeeze another 500 miles out of the tire?  Definitely I will change it before wet winter kicks in.

Now that I will be retired (Monday) I need to start pinching those pennies I guess.

Thanks!

Do one last burnout...then replace it NOW!

Offline Cleveland Steve

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 09:51:25 PM »
I always have a spare front/rear tire at home.
Circumstances have made me make a choice.
Either go knowing that it's chancy, or not go.
Went to WV National Rally, with cords showing up.
Made it home.
Cleveland Steve  '02 EV
Ignorant list candidate

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »

well wait. 

I will say that when I wore my tire down to the cord, it was handling great.  Really sticking and rode it hard  Likely that's what contributed to it getting to the cord on the 300 miles trek back from the Ozarks.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Peter from Sch'dy

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 10:14:15 PM »
So folks who ride on threads do so alone I'm thinking? I'd do my best to convince any friend of mine not to start a trip on cords,
especially if they were going along with me. It'd drive me nuts just knowing they could let go at any time. I know, even the best new tire can be faulty or you can pick up a puncture any time but please. Years ago I worked at a Yamaha shop and a squid brought in his bike for some work in the shop. His rear tire was showing cords. It "somehow" went flat while waiting..never felt the least tang of guilt.

Best,
Peter

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
If I let one of my bicycle tires get through the rubber, I have about ten or twenty miles left before it blows.  With 120 psi in it, it sounds very much like a 22 rifle shot when that happens.  I guess motorcycle tires have a lot more thickness of cord in them, so you can go farther with cords showing, but I wouldn't knowingly ride on one in that condition unless it were an emergency.

canuguzzi

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 11:35:28 PM »

That the above had to be said is amazing. That there are posts to the contrary even more so.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 12:03:09 AM »

And you're the guy who has had dozens of flat tires in your riding career on the road.

And me, with the same "order of magnitude" of miles (hundreds of thousands) as you, have had TWO.

I think I understand now.   I wouldn't, by a LONG chalk, consider it worth the risk or hassle running a tire that bald!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 12:23:35 AM »
And you're the guy who has had dozens of flat tires in your riding career on the road.
And me, with the same "order of magnitude" of miles (hundreds of thousands) as you, have had TWO.
I think I understand now.   I wouldn't, by a LONG chalk, consider it worth the risk or hassle running a tire that bald!

That was of course mostly a joke. And a lot of the many flats that I have had were early in the tires life. I've never noticed a difference in flat tire chances from new to near the end of life. Flat tires just like me. Including punching a rock through a nearly new tire.

As for that cord showing.....
I was going to head north, and over the Cherohalla one day. But I was worried about the FRONT tire. I even measured it. Yep, still good depth. Glanced at the rear tire. Yep, it had more tread and had a LOT of life yet. The wife even looked at both of them because I told her I needed to keep an eye on the FRONT tire. So we loaded up, and off we went. When I got home that day from that 300 or so miles, that is what I found. And the front tire which I was so worried about, showed no additional signs of wear.
So I guess I was having a lot more fun on the left hand curves from the looks of it.

It basically shows that even it you do have good tread depth, the type of riding can eat up a tire in short order.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Doug McLaren

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 02:15:02 AM »
Do you fellas not have laws regarding tyre condition? Over here we need to have at least 1mm over 75% of the width and it has to be round the entire circumference, no cords showing. Cars need to have 1.6mm. The company I work for has the tyres changed on their vehicles at 2mm.
2019 V85TT
1994 Ducati 900 Monster
1957 Lodola 175

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here