Author Topic: Why deep discounts on the Norge?  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
Why deep discounts on the Norge?
« on: February 04, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
They must be extremely poor sellers.

Is it because they can't compete with the rice and sausage burners?

Offline swmckinley54

• Hatchling
Re: Why deep discounts on the Norge?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
I don't think it's just a Guzzi thing. Dealers need to get rid of last years model and the factory rebates them to help them out. I just replaced my '12 Stelvio with a KTM 1290 Super Adventure. List price was $20,500.00, after factory rebate to the dealer I paid $16,500.00.
Steven Mckinley
Austin, TX
2016 Eldorado

Offline BRIO

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:22:35 AM »
It's the most outdated model in the range of a brand that doesn't sell particularly well. It still has that early 00's look while other brands have moved on to a different design language. Have you seen the plastic ST monstrosities the krauts are putting out now? No thanks.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:27:57 AM by BRIO »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:26:34 AM »
Define:  "compete"

It's simply supply and demand, really.

Guzzi produced more Norges than there were buyers for Norges.

The price has been reduced to attract additional buyers and clear the inventory.

"Why?", you ask, is there not more demand for Norges?  The list is long, and we've discussed all the reasons in previous threads:

Here are some things that I think are big contributors:

-> the traditional sport-touring market-share-percent of the total motorcycle market is shrinking.

-> traditional sport-touring motorcycles are being replaced with "Adventure Sport Touring" machines.  ADVbikes with more road-going equipments

-> Guzzi continues to offer a sparse dealer network, and many who ride Sport-Touring machines cross country prefer Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, and BMWs for their dealer networks.

-> Guzzi continues to be a phantom company.  Especially in the USA.  Most non-motorcyclists, and many current-motorcyclists simply don't know Moto Guzzi exists, and those who do just don't know anything about them.  They're considered Italian exotics, and just like Ferrari, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo, most people would just rather have a Lexus, Infinity, or Mercedes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:39:51 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:26:34 AM »

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 09:06:17 AM »
Most non-motorcyclists, and many current-motorcyclists simply don't know Moto Guzzi exists, and those who do just don't know anything about them.

And those that do know usually ask the question, "Where do you get it worked on?"
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
Not to mention that 3/4's of the motorcycling world seem to think they need 6 levels of traction control, 12 riding modes, full-on NASA communication technology, and so on.

The NORGE is a motorcycle, plain and simple.  Now, that said, people want what they want, and that's fine.  Between the magazines and other riders showing off all the latest simple machines tend to get left behind.

When I used to sell Triumph I kid you not the VERY first thing people asked about the R3T was does it have a factory sound system followed by does it have cruise.  That's it.  If not, they kept moving over to the Victory side and asked the exact same questions.

More and more riders want a minivan on 2 wheels.  That's not the typical Guzzi owner I know but it's what I see and hear as I go all over with my M/C accessory product.

Not a rant, simply an observation.  To the point, I got my Norge because it was not all the things the BMW RT is.  It's just a motorcycle for the most part.  The great deal because nobody wants them made it even better!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »
I don't think they can't compete. In fact, I think they compete very well. I have bought two of them!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 09:32:12 AM »
And those that do know usually ask the question, "Where do you get it worked on?"

Yes.  "what year is that?", then "where do you have it serviced?".

They lose interest pretty quickly when I say that I do most of my own service, and the nearest dealer is in Tulsa.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 09:48:24 AM »
in the spring of 2013 the Tucson Honda dealer had a 2010 ST1300 left over for if I remember right $10,000 and it still sat.
I think Guzzi would be better off if they split the difference between their normal retail and the lets dump it because it isn't selling price. example V7 Stones. $8500 then and $6000 now.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

George_S

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree and that's the big reason I left BMW. I want to ride a motorcycle, not feel like I'm operating another computer in my life.

Not to mention that 3/4's of the motorcycling world seem to think they need 6 levels of traction control, 12 riding modes, full-on NASA communication technology, and so on.

The NORGE is a motorcycle, plain and simple.  Now, that said, people want what they want, and that's fine.  Between the magazines and other riders showing off all the latest simple machines tend to get left behind.

When I used to sell Triumph I kid you not the VERY first thing people asked about the R3T was does it have a factory sound system followed by does it have cruise.  That's it.  If not, they kept moving over to the Victory side and asked the exact same questions.

More and more riders want a minivan on 2 wheels.  That's not the typical Guzzi owner I know but it's what I see and hear as I go all over with my M/C accessory product.

Not a rant, simply an observation.  To the point, I got my Norge because it was not all the things the BMW RT is.  It's just a motorcycle for the most part.  The great deal because nobody wants them made it even better!

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 10:02:45 AM »
Just using Cycletrader stats as a guide...

There are 25 new Norges for sale nationwide.  Of the 25, 17 of them are 2014 models or earlier.  There are still 2 2012 models listed for sale as new.

Contrast with the Trophy.  There are 157 new for sale nationwide.  Of the 157, 25 of them are 2014 or earlier with only 2 2013's left in inventory. 

Obviously it's much harder to buy a Norge because there are so few of them and you have to be near one of the ever decreasing Guzzi dealers nationwide.  The other thing I see, however, is that even the non-current Triumph models do not show with discounted prices.  Instead you see that Triumph offers 60 month, 0% financing on their non-current models.  They are better able to move non-current inventory and at higher prices for their dealers by subsidizing the financing.  It's a model the car companies went to as well.

The alternative to financing is to offer bikes at a price point where they can attract a cash sale.  For me that's around $10k before my justification to the CFO as to why I'm dropping a chunk of savings on a luxury item loses traction.  I know a lot of folks here have stated that they wouldn't finance a bike period, and that's why we have the reputation (from the other thread) of not buying new bikes.  I would say it's the cash sales plus the knowledge that most Guzzi owners have about the availability of super deals if you buy the non-current bike. 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:04:34 AM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

canuguzzi

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »
Guess what? The other brands are making what most people want to buy.

This whole "needs" thing is rediculous. We are hardly in a position to say who needs what. Motorcycling is about wants not needs. You don't need a motorcycle, you want one. People don't need traction control, they want it. They want active suspension, they want active ECU maps.

If they put that stuff on a Norge, we'd want it too.

If Moto Guzzi put active suspension on the Norge, you'd complain? Same thing for selectable ecu maps, traction control, more adjustment on the windscreen, an adjustable seat, liquid cooling to take the bike forward instead of an uncertain future after this year?

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »

There ya go folks ................ could not have said it any better than that.    :thumb:

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
in the spring of 2013 the Tucson Honda dealer had a 2010 ST1300 left over for if I remember right $10,000 and it still sat.

There is a dealer in Colorado with two 2014 Honda CTX1300N's with a BIN price of $7,999.  These are bikes with an MSRP of $15,999 (yes, DOUBLE).

2014 Honda Interceptors  (aka VFR800) are marked down to $7,999 for the standard, and $8,999 for the deluxe.    The Colorado has a standard listed on ebay with a BIN of $7,499.    MSPR is $12,499 and $13,499 for the standard and deluxe respectively.

In October, I saw 2015 FJ-09's marked down $2k, and that is a brand new model that just came out this past year.

The US motorcycle market is really slow, and it isn't just because it is winter, it was slow before winter.   Several dealers in the area have told me that this is the worst they seen in many years.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

canuguzzi

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »

The US motorcycle market is really slow, and it isn't just because it is winter, it was slow before winter.   Several dealers in the area have told me that this is the worst they seen in many years.

This is also true ^^^^

Regarding the Norge being a motorcycle, so is the St1300, the FJR, the Trophy and the RT and just because someone doesn't want what they offer doesn't mean, as the implied comment tried to say, that they are something else.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
Just using Cycletrader stats as a guide...

There are 25 new Norges for sale nationwide.  Of the 25, 17 of them are 2014 models or earlier.  There are still 2 2012 models listed for sale as new.

Contrast with the Trophy.  There are 157 new for sale nationwide.  Of the 157, 25 of them are 2014 or earlier with only 2 2013's left in inventory. 

Obviously it's much harder to buy a Norge because there are so few of them and you have to be near one of the ever decreasing Guzzi dealers nationwide.  The other thing I see, however, is that even the non-current Triumph models do not show with discounted prices.  Instead you see that Triumph offers 60 month, 0% financing on their non-current models.  They are better able to move non-current inventory and at higher prices for their dealers by subsidizing the financing.  It's a model the car companies went to as well.

The alternative to financing is to offer bikes at a price point where they can attract a cash sale.  For me that's around $10k before my justification to the CFO as to why I'm dropping a chunk of savings on a luxury item loses traction.  I know a lot of folks here have stated that they wouldn't finance a bike period, and that's why we have the reputation (from the other thread) of not buying new bikes.  I would say it's the cash sales plus the knowledge that most Guzzi owners have about the availability of super deals if you buy the non-current bike.

I went with 2.99% for 6 years, will pay it off early... (2014 @ $9,000) with trade in.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 11:52:17 AM »
^ Not bad!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:48 AM »

This whole "needs" thing is rediculous. We are hardly in a position to say who needs what. Motorcycling is about wants not needs. You don't need a motorcycle, you want one. People don't need traction control, they want it. They want active suspension, they want active ECU maps.

If Moto Guzzi put active suspension on the Norge, you'd complain? Same thing for selectable ecu maps, traction control, more adjustment on the windscreen, an adjustable seat, liquid cooling to take the bike forward instead of an uncertain future after this year?

That's what Piaggio has Aprilia for.

Dean
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:10:50 PM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 12:05:20 PM »

:1:
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 12:12:33 PM »

At what cost? $3K,$4K,$5K more than the current price?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »
Jeff Olson, that's my point!  That's why WE bought them.  I get it.

Norge Pilot, well , maybe not.  If all that stuff was on the bike it's be priced much higher and I most likely would not have purchased.  I like my Guzzi bikes and lusted after a V7 and bought it.  I got the Norge as the deal was too good to pass up.  No sale to me a list price and certainly no sale at Trophy or RT price.  Didn't need/want it that bad.  maybe I was not as clear as I thought I was.  I like the "lower" tech approach of the Norge and that was key-but the bargain price was as least as much of a factor.

Anyway, not to split hairs.  I give.  Yes, they are ALL motorcycles.  I should have much more precise.  Won't happen again.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:16:36 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

canuguzzi

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »
No worries, I do get it, after all I have one and like it very much.

I do say though, if the Norge had those things, they might not have to discount them so heavily. The MSRP is over $16K, discounted to $9999. Average sale price is probably around $12K plus fees. Still leaves quite a bit over 4 grand in the table.

The Norge doesn't have to sell for a higher price than MSRP, just closer to it but even those of us who buy the Norge aren't willing to shell out $16k + for them.

Just the way it sits, if the Norge had the goods, it wouldn't be the step child of reviews or consideration for buyers, it would be at the top of the heap. There is no real wanting in the engine or the styling.

Here is what I see though, without higher sales, unless MG already has something units sleeve in the engine design department to meet future emissions regs, the Norge and Stelvio too are toast, the engine won't pass them.

Then see what happens to prices. The 8V bikes don't have the long term following, they don't elicit the desire of the LeMans or SPs.

Here is the other thing. Is there any doubt that BMW will stop making the RT or a replacement? The FJR? The ST? None.

Now who among us can comfortably say that this isn't the last year of the Norge?

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 12:35:34 PM »
There is some truth to this...probably depends where people are on the buying curve...but notice that Ducati just announced excellent YoY sales in NA...haven't digested the details just yet to see which models or features are driving the sales.

Last year while out in Palo Alto for work, I rented a BMW K1600GTL for the day, fun ride up to Alice's, down to Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz along Hwy 1. It has more bells and whistles than I had even known existed, with a relatively simple ease of use.  Got the hang of them after a bit of fiddling and played around with it on the day rental.  But interestingly enough, I think the one feature that makes the most sense was the Sport, Rain or Touring ride setting...and it does work well...but honestly, it doesn't have to be there if you are a good rider.  It made me think that there is a lot of stuff and features added to attract buyers, which does sell bikes, but which ultimately may not even be used on a regular basis...but it sounds good and is a feature that may hook a buyer.  The motor itself is incredibly smooth, powerful and yet at the same time, sterile in nature...but the bike was fun to ride...for the day.  Maybe an excellent bike for Iron Butt training!

On the other hand, I specifically like the fact that the Norge does NOT have those features and is more mechanical in nature and features, easily mounted after market GPS, adding music thru Bluetooth amply satisfy those needs.   Is the business cycle for motorcycles worse now than it was in late 2009 when they were discounting Norge's basically to invoice as well?

To me...Engine, Suspension and Style trump gadgets every day of the week...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:42:34 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:07 PM »
There is some truth to this...probably depends where people are on the buying curve...but notice that Ducati just announced excellent YoY sales in NA...haven't digested the details just yet to see which models or features are driving the sales.

Scrambler.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »
Ducati Scrambler is more or less the equivalent of our V7 or V9? 
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

George_S

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »
Scrambler.

Yes. The Ducati scrambler got HUGE press everywhere- print and 'net which had the M/C public salivating before it went on sale. Plus Ducati had a nice stage display at the motorcycle shows. Where was MG? Not even at the shows I saw.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 12:57:13 PM »
Ducati Scrambler is more or less the equivalent of our V7 or V9?

Yes.  It's funny.  Ducati has some real badass high-tech machinery, but they introduce an elemental scrambler, and it takes off like crazy.

Not unlike the Guzzi V7 line beginning in 2009, or Triumph's Bonneville of 2001.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »

To me...Engine, Suspension and Style trump gadgets every day of the week...

I agree.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »
Yes. The Ducati scrambler got HUGE press everywhere- print and 'net which had the M/C public salivating before it went on sale. Plus Ducati had a nice stage display at the motorcycle shows. Where was MG? Not even at the shows I saw.

Ducati gets huge press on every bike.  Yet, this low tech throwback comes in and knocks a big dent in the pie chart.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

George_S

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 01:01:11 PM »
This is also true ^^^^

Regarding the Norge being a motorcycle, so is the St1300, the FJR, the Trophy and the RT and just because someone doesn't want what they offer doesn't mean, as the implied comment tried to say, that they are something else.

Um, it kinda does mean that.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here