Author Topic: Piaggio Group Should Rebadge Aprilia to Moto Guzzi  (Read 7855 times)

Offline MadMike

• New Egg
Piaggio Group Should Rebadge Aprilia to Moto Guzzi
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:57:31 AM »
So I'm thinking not many non-riders have heard of Aprilia or their limited racing heritage. Why bother building this brand up as a racing/ tech heavy arm of the Piaggio Group when Piaggio already owns a brand with tremendous racing history. The Moto Guzzi singles, the fore and aft V-twins and the mighty V8 are all legendary. There is no reason a Moto Guzzi has to be a Port to Starboard V-twin engined motorcycle. Polaris purchased a legendary brand and now they are giving Harley a run for their money. Piaggio Group owns a legendary brand with tremendous racing heritage but has decided to turn the flying eagle into a retro cruiser product tailored for bearded hipsters.

I say release Moto Guzzi from the pigeon hole yoke of the sideways V-Twin and reintroduce the brand as a cutting edge motorcycle back in the business of winning trophy's. Relegate Aprilia to scooters and mopeds. Piaggio group can surely win races under the Aprilia banner but no matter how much marketing they throw at a scooter manufacturer who up until a couple decades ago was using Rotax engines, Aprilia will never be able to build a heritage equal to Moto Guzzi.
2013 MG Stelvio NTX, 1975 MG Eldorado,
1991 BMW R100GS/PD, 1976 BMW R75/6,
2004 HD Roadglide

oldbike54

Re: Piaggio Group Should Rebadge Aprilia to Moto Guzzi
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
  Problem is , how many people know what a Moto Guzzi is ? :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
It's time the world learned. Again!
 :bike-037:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
Aprilia is well known in Europe...

Personally, I don't care for Aprilias.  Never have.  If Piaggio started rebranding Aprilias as Guzzis, I'd be out of here...

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:36:45 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:38:39 AM »
Aprilia is well known in Europe...

Yeah , and followers of SBK or GP racing from the 1980's are familiar with Aprilia . Moto Guzzi not so much .

It's time the world learned. Again!
 :bike-037:

We're tryin' dude  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
How many people knew of MV Augusta 10 years ago? They reinvented themselves and did quite well outa the chute.

Heritage is heritage and is fairly easily resurrected if given a solid foundation.... Indian?

A guzzi need not be a v-twin nor even a flat single. Hell, they were innovation rolling for a long time. No need to go "full Harleytard" now!

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
How many people knew of MV Augusta 10 years ago? They reinvented themselves and did quite well outa the chute.

Heritage is heritage and is fairly easily resurrected if given a solid foundation.... Indian?

A guzzi need not be a v-twin nor even a flat single. Hell, they were innovation rolling for a long time. No need to go "full Harleytard" now!

Todd.

Agreed.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »
>There is no reason a Moto Guzzi has to be a Port to Starboard V-twin engined motorcycle

Stick a fork in Aprilia and bring back the Guzzi V-8.

M
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 11:26:39 AM »

Todd.

I seriously doubt if very many non-enthusiasts have heard of MV Agusta either . I have never ever heard someone say "yeah , I had one of them there MV Agustas back in 1972"  :rolleyes:

Dusty

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »
I am a long time guzzi enthusiast, but how many Aprillias sold vs Guzzi, and what was the mix?  I really like the Mana , and it seems to be Aprillias turd in the punchbowl.   I don't know what to think of Guzzi now that they are appealing to an entire different market, seems that owners of CARC models will have classics soon that are still great bikes....    (Bill Ross, sell me back my Griso :) )

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »
 Like the rebadged Benelli's like that worked!
No. Guzzi's are made in Mandello de Lario, that's it, full stop, end off, punto, finalle.

It's kind of like Parma Ham. The factory's small MG production will never top 10,000p.a.

Ok I know Harleys are now made in India but it's not quite the same Indian's really wanted Harleys, that was like when Pepsi went to the USSR.

There you have it. MG Parma Ham, HD Pepsi.

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 12:23:10 PM »
Like the rebadged Benelli's like that worked!
No. Guzzi's are made in Mandello de Lario, that's it, full stop, end off, punto, finalle.

It's kind of like Parma Ham. The factory's small MG production will never top 10,000p.a.

Ok I know Harleys are now made in India but it's not quite the same Indian's really wanted Harleys, that was like when Pepsi went to the USSR.

There you have it. MG Parma Ham, HD Pepsi.

Isn't Parma ham made in Ohio  :huh: Seriously Mr Piki , your assertion makes perfect sense , although modern Bonnevilles are made in Thailand and sell like hots cakes . (Lisa Douglass reference}

Dusty

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
Isn't Parma ham made in Ohio  :huh: Seriously Mr Piki , your assertion makes perfect sense , although modern Bonnevilles are made in Thailand and sell like hots cakes . (Lisa Douglass reference}

Dusty

Ohio, quite probable and Birmingham Alabama too but NOT Birmingham UK.
You see there are EU rules on these things:

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/parma-ham-welcomes-the-european-court-ruling-on-slicing-and-packaging-pre-sliced-155440065.html
(Asda is Walmart UK branch)

Personnaly I don't much like these hard written down rules makes you want to go out and brake 'em. But the unwritten rules I go along with and I think there's an unwritten rule now Guzzi's are made in M'Lario
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:49:00 PM by pikipiki »

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 12:46:23 PM »
It would make no sense at all in my humble opinion. Two totally different platforms, targeting totally different consumers. Furthermore, I think a lot more people know Aprilia than MG and that includes riders and non riders.

Guzzi may have a racing heritage and I see nothing wrong with using that as part of their marketing a retro style bike, but I don't think anyone is assuming that means they are competitive by modern sportbike standards.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »
No.

Also, the term "hipster" needs to die. It's lost all meaning and become ironic in it's use. "I liked this before that guy did... he's such a hipster for liking it now".

Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 01:07:23 PM »
No.

Also, the term "hipster" needs to die. It's lost all meaning and become ironic in it's use. "I liked this before that guy did... he's such a hipster for liking it now".

Hipster must die  :laugh:

As for playing on racing heritage , it doesn't work , especially based on heritage from what , over 50 years ago now . Don't bring up the Dr John bikes , hell , that was 30 years ago , no one cares . If racing success breeds huge sales , why hasn't Aprilia sold in huge numbers ? Or why hasn't HD made more than a token attempt to go racing ? Heritage sells motorcycles , and badging V4's as Moto Guzzis isn't heritage . As for the legendary V8 , show me a race it ever won . The V twin is the Moto Guzzi heritage , at least since 1967 , way more built than any other engine configuration. If you want to go fast , buy a Ducati , or a Honda , or do like so many here have done , buy an older hot rod Guzzi and update it .

Dusty

Penderic

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
And call the new company Muto Gozzilla

canuguzzi

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 01:43:56 PM »
Quote a difference in a heritage here (Indian) and trying to resurrect an Italian one in the US where it never really existed. That isn't to say the US market is all important but when you compare a resurrected Indian brand to Moto Guzzi it doesn't work.

What works, heritage or not is making bike people want to buy. It doesn't matter what the heritage is, if the bikes don't appeal to buyers it makes no difference.

Look at HD. It had to change to get new buyers, it was stomped on by Honda and everyone else. If they kept making the same bikes in the way they put them out, HD would be the Moto Guzzi of the market instead of a leader.

If Piaggio wanted to use a name to affect perceptions it could simply call itself "MOTO" and then have divisions:

Moto Aprilia
Moto Piaggio
Moto Guzzi

More people probably know about Piaggio from buying scooters than know about Aprilia and Guzzi combined.

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 02:15:23 PM »
But they are working on a shaft drive Aprillia!

So there wont be a Norge/St..io but there will be an equivilent Aprillia (if there isn't already)

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/scoop-shaft-driven-aprilia-on-the-way-patents-show-radical-plan/

So this spells a shrinking use of Guzzi brand not an expansion.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 02:22:32 PM »
When I tell  bystanders my MP3s are made by Piaggio their faces go blank, but then I tell them Piaggio makes Vespas too.   They go Ahhhh   :azn:

I like that:  Moto Aprilia
                 Moto Piaggio
                 Moto Guzzi
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:31:17 PM by Arizona Wayne »

canuguzzi

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 02:32:57 PM »
When I tell  bystanders my MP3s are made by Piaggio their faces go blank, but then I tell them Piaggio makes Vespas too.   They go Ahhhh   :azn:

The MP3 is an under utilized model line. Saw one the other day outfitted for distance. It was the 500 model. Looked like the rider was headed across the country.

So add Moto Vespa to the above.

Moto Guzzi would become the GMC of MOTO. A brand with a loyal following but not in the limelight all the time.

Isn't it time for  850 MP3 , motor out of the Mana?

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
 Hmm , maybe the smart business move would be to just badge every product built under the Piaggio umbrella as Vespa  :laugh:

I can hear on of those breathless British announcers for SBK . " Sylvain Guintoli on the Vespa goes to the lead"  :grin:

Dusty

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 02:43:44 PM »
Moto Gilera? No I think that one must be Gilera-Moto.

Don't know about the MP3 being under utilized. They have really tried, 125,350,400,500, Hybrid elecric, wide track, narrow track,Fuocco just hasn't had the market impact although I here they sell well in France?

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
But they are working on a shaft drive Aprillia!

So there wont be a Norge/St..io but there will be an equivilent Aprillia (if there isn't already)

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/scoop-shaft-driven-aprilia-on-the-way-patents-show-radical-plan/

So this spells a shrinking use of Guzzi brand not an expansion.

Here's your answer on CARC replacement, Aprilia's V4 With a shaft for the new Griso.
Coming to your local showroom next summer  :boozing:

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »
Moto Gilera? No I think that one must be Gilera-Moto.

Don't know about the MP3 being under utilized. They have really tried, 125,350,400,500, Hybrid elecric, wide track, narrow track,Fuocco just hasn't had the market impact although I here they sell well in France?

Mp3s are very popular in Europe, not much here.  I ride my 400 all over the west and most every biker waves to me now.  I call it a poor man's trike that leans.  :smiley:

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »
The MP3 is an under utilized model line. Saw one the other day outfitted for distance. It was the 500 model. Looked like the rider was headed across the country.

So add Moto Vespa to the above.

Isn't it time for  850 MP3 , motor out of the Mana?

On the MP3 the single motor is literally right under your seat.  If the Mana motor was added there would be no step thru any more and that is part of what's great about a scooter for us oldsters.   Really I don't feel a need for more power on my 400(39 hp) MP3.  With the CVT it does just fine, even up 6% grades I can still maintain 65 mph or higher fully loaded, cruise @ 80 mph if I want to on level ground.   Top speed is 90 mph.  There are faster maxi-scooters, but when you are on 1 that's not your mindset.   Mine is comfort, load capacity, mpg, weather protection.

omega1987

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 03:08:16 PM »
Aprilia have been making excellent 50, 125 & 250cc bikes for years so they have a bit of a cult following amongst younger riders here in the UK who often progress onto their bigger bikes.

I think I'd go for either an Aprilia or KTM if I was looking for a sportsbike.

twowings

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 03:24:45 PM »
If you really want to help, patronize the fine Guzzi dealers and parts suppliers who are part of this forum, deal with Guzzi dealers for new bikes and warranty service, and rescue any stray Guzzi you can...now that my CARC bike is a 'classic', I'm going to start saving for a parts Norge...Piaggio is going to do whatever the hell they want to do, so supporting the brand is up to YOU...otherwise, contact Piaggio and tell them you have a couple of billion you want to invest and I'm sure they will listen to your ideas then.... :grin:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
You might recall that I was advocating that we could share some Aprilia hardware and Guzzify it.

I thought a big bore Tuono set up for Sports and Sport Touring would be a hit.  With classic styling rather than the folded paper bodywork. 

Now Aprilia has already come out with an 1100 (vs the 1000 sportbike). 

And I was thinking the GP version would be a Guzzi and the Superbike would be an Aprilia. 

Anything to update the Guzzi product from cruisers. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »

Anything to update the Guzzi product from cruisers.
[/quote]

There are more cruisers on the road than any other style of MC.  If MG had more dealers with competent mechanics they would sell more MCs.  But at the same time a dealer has to sell more brands than just Moto Guzzi to survive.  Now maybe the Piaggio family of scooters, Guzzis, Aprilias is a good combination.   A little something for everyone.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here