Author Topic: One Less Guzzi Dealership - RIP Matthews Fun Machines, MFM merged threadfest  (Read 11157 times)

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
I got a call this morning from Matthews Fun Machines in Matthews, NC. I had taken my Breva 1100 there for some work. The lady said she had some bad news for me...I'm thinking, oh crap, the repair bill is gonna be higher than the bike is worth! I guessed wrong. The lady said another dealership bought them yesterday and they are dropping Moto Guzzi. She said they had not done anything yet to my bike but now they can't work on Guzzis and that I need to come and get it and soon.
North Carolina

Offline troyhamilton

• Gaggle Hero
  • Dr frankie
its real hard to find a Moto Guzzi dealer or a shop that works on them, good luck getting it repaired!
Dr Frankie!
1967 v7, gone
heldorado, gone
1975 850-t gone
1974 850-t gone.
2002 Jackal!
we need a tech section!

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Wonder why they can't work on your Guzzi? It's not a warranty claim it is simply a motorcycle in for repair. Maybe they signed a non-compete agreement?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:01:51 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
That's straight up bullshit. If it's not warranty work they CAN and should. They already accepted the job, the bike is there. STFU and do the work you agreed to do.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
I agree. I would call them back and ask to speak to the manager.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online calfruit

• Hatchling
Or! If they do NOT want to work on it.  Why would one want them too!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
It's probably a lot farther away for you, but if things don't work out and they just don't want to do the work for whatever reason, you'll not hear any leaning-backward nonsense from Moto Richmond, our Virginia Moto Guzzi dealer.   They do good work (they did my roller conversion on my Stelvio).

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Or! If they do NOT want to work on it.  Why would one want them too!
Absolutely, I'm more of a make a f'n scene, never darken the doorway again, and make damn sure you tell every local rider you know (or can reach) what assholes they now are.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
I got a call this morning from Matthews Fun Machines in Matthews, NC. I had taken my Breva 1100 there for some work. The lady said she had some bad news for me...I'm thinking, oh crap, the repair bill is gonna be higher than the bike is worth! I guessed wrong. The lady said another dealership bought them yesterday and they are dropping Moto Guzzi. She said they had not done anything yet to my bike but now they can't work on Guzzis and that I need to come and get it and soon.

This trend is NOT a good sign for all of us... :embarassed: :undecided: :cry: :cry:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
A shame another dealership gone.
They mention who bought them? I hope it’s not BMW of Charlotte.

Wonder if they’ll run a clearance sale...last i was there they had pretty good inventory.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
My guess is its not that the dealer didnt want to... Im thinking the NEW dealer doesn't, and just wants all back logged service gone before they take over.
Paul B

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
I agree with everything that’s been said.  But I would want clarification from someone in charge.    And if it’s as it sounds do as Kev suggests.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
This news is troubling to me as that dealership was my ace in the hole with the Guzzi ownership second only to some of you guys here in the board and my old Honda mechanic who has been doing much of my maintenance work like tires, valve adjustments etc. the only other Guzzi dealership in NC is in Greensboro and the manager told me months ago that they couldn't drop Guzzi quick enough for him. When I tried to get help from them over my failed TPS sensor I got no help  from them and they never even got back with me as they promised they would after talking with their factory rep! If it hadn't been for Lucian (Dave) here on this forum I'd still be stuck without a bike. Sad time for us Guzzi newbies but I ain't giving up yet, I can still trailer my 1400 to one of my buddies up north for help:)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
My guess is its not that the dealer didnt want to... Im thinking the NEW dealer doesn't, and just wants all back logged service gone before they take over.
This         &             When you go or call talk to the wrench that does the service, he may do stuff on the side.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero

They are (were) family owned and the new owner must have said the hec with the Aprilia/Guzzi stuff.  They had a pretty big inventory and accessories too; wonder if they are going to have an auction or something.  That would be cool!

As to wrenches Andy Rounds still works on Guzzi's and is in Harrisburg.  Gaston MC Werks in Gastonia will work on them too.  Plenty of Guzzi's in Charlotte between Matthews Fun Machines and formerly Union Cycle.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
I'm off to Matthews to pick up my Guzzi. It's been sleeting here since before lunch. Grrr. I hate Charlotte traffic on a good day.
North Carolina

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
That's straight up bullshit. If it's not warranty work they CAN and should. They already accepted the job, the bike is there. STFU and do the work you agreed to do.

agreed.  that's some piss-poor customer service, right there. 

Their Guzzi exeperience didn't evaporate overnight, unless they had one Guzzi mechanic and they fired him...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
I was there a few months ago to pick up some parts and went over to the service department to just introduce myself as the owner on a new to me 2015 cal 1400. I spoke with a lady service manager who seemed very knowledgeable and willing to give assistance and service whenever needed. These folks have been inservice for years as a family business. I hate to see them go under but I totally understand. It seems that one dealer after another is giving up on the Guzzi line and after talking to the newest dealer in my area, Greensboro, I totally understand why, NO FACTORY SUPPORT !!!

Offline jackthebiker

• New Egg
  • 46 motorcycles so far
I just checked their website, still show they are a Guzzi Dealer with bikes? Its not just Moto Guzzi, I live in a area with 75,000 people or more and the only motorcycle dealer we have is a Harley Dealer and they don't sell bikes like they used to.
Currently riding a 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Adventure  and a 2022 Kawasaki W800.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
in these times, you have to be smarter than the average bear to make it in the MC buz.  I hate to go on about Cadre again, but I was there today and not only had they bought that package deal of V9s, they had painted a Bobber high gloss black.  I normally hate black bikes, but this thing had me wondering "how can i slip this into the garage so the wife won't notice".  When you see this thing, you want it and want it now.  Enzo told me that they took that bike to a show this weekend and added the yellow ohlins shocks from the v9 sport.  Holy Moly it must have been da bomb.  Sorry I did not get a pic, but that would not have done it justice, you just had to be in the presence of this thing.  this is what it takes these days.
Blue Guzz

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
Apparently, the employees came in this morning and were told the business had been sold and was closing. The stock is being moved to Team Charlotte Motorsports on Freedom Dr. A guy in a Team Charlotte Motorsports shirt told me that they have not made a commitment with Moto Guzzi or Aprilia. They were already moving stuff out this afternoon.

I asked about one of their used bikes and was told there was no one there that could sell it to me. I was asked to come visit them on Freedom Drive.

I had called the dealership in Greensboro and spoke with someone in their service department. I was told they don't stock Guzzi parts and only do basic maintenance. For repairs , they guy suggested I go to Matthews... :shocked:
North Carolina

Tennmoto

All this makes me think Piaggio is giving up on the United States. It’s been an uphill battle for Guzzi here forever.
Even though they make motorcycles with soul that have some great features the ability of us Americans to appreciate them on a larger scale has not happened. Kinda weird though, the V7 thread on Advrider is one active thread and the discussion over the V85 is good too. So just when you think a comeback is happening dealers are closing

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Apparently, the employees came in this morning and were told the business had been sold and was closing. The stock is being moved to Team Charlotte Motorsports on Freedom Dr. A guy in a Team Charlotte Motorsports shirt told me that they have not made a commitment with Moto Guzzi or Aprilia. They were already moving stuff out this afternoon.

I asked about one of their used bikes and was told there was no one there that could sell it to me. I was asked to come visit them on Freedom Drive.

I had called the dealership in Greensboro and spoke with someone in their service department. I was told they don't stock Guzzi parts and only do basic maintenance. For repairs , they guy suggested I go to Matthews... :shocked:
That sounds about right with Greensboro. I attempted to deal with them several months ago and the service manager said they despised dealing with moto Guzzi snd the sooner the dealership dropped them the better off they would be. He said Guzzi had cost them some of their Indian customers.

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
I dealt with Team Charlotte looking for another bike. They didn't have it but located two dealers in the country that did, and directed me to them.  Seemed pretty stand up in my book.  Maybe it will work out.

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
It’s not right period.  Someone at Mathews should have made sure that their customers were taken care off.   
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
It’s not right period.  Someone at Mathews should have made sure that their customers were taken care off.
I guess it's like the old saying "when you're in you're in and when you're out you're out" as far as thier customers are concerned.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor

Since it seems most at Mathews were surprised to hear they were sold, they (Mathews) very likely no longer have a say in the matter. It's up to the new owners to either say yes or no to Guzzi bikes and service. Since it's been posted the new owners haven't made a commitment to Piaggio, I'd say current Guzzi owners need to find another place for service. Perhaps the new owners will pony up to become an authorized Guzzi dealer.

"Basic Maintenance" on a Moto Guzzi isn't much different from many other motorcycles. Meaning it's straightforward and relatively easy. Area owners will either have to do it themselves or find an independent repair shop. The latter, for a Moto Guzzi, could prove difficult. Likely the biggest local hurdle is if you need EFI software updates and insist on a dealer for it. Thankfully, the aftermarket is typically a better option anyway.

Dealers come and go, not just for Guzzi, for just about all motorcycle brands. It's a very difficult motorcycle business climate today. Even more so with slow moving inventory and brands. Someone will step up and service and maybe even sell new Guzzis. I'm sure Piaggio is doing what they can to bring on another dealer in the area.

You should know soon whether or not the new owners bought the Guzzi inventory or if it will be sent elsewhere. It's a simple question that only needs to be asked.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
  He said Guzzi had cost them some of their Indian customers.

I wonder how...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
All this makes me think Piaggio is giving up on the United States. It’s been an uphill battle for Guzzi here forever.
Even though they make motorcycles with soul that have some great features the ability of us Americans to appreciate them on a larger scale has not happened. Kinda weird though, the V7 thread on Advrider is one active thread and the discussion over the V85 is good too. So just when you think a comeback is happening dealers are closing

Why?  Guzzi currently sells more bikes in the USA than it has in decades. 

There have been times in the past  twenty + years that the number was in the few hundreds.  1996/1997.  Then again in 2004/2005.  And again in 2008/2009.

Over the past eight or nine years, volume has steadily increased, largely thanks to the V7 line.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
I saw this post last night and couldn't sleep.  I just got back from a trip down South and stopped at Matthews.  Last MARCH I put a deposit on a V85 TT at All Seasons Sports in Wooster, Ohio.  This fall I learned they sold the business.  After going there to talk with Steve and the Piaggio rep my long standing deposit was transferred to Matthews where I bought my Norge.  I stopped there to finalize things, like leaving my riding gear for the future Fly-'n-Ride and to see about this new $2000 deposit directly to Piaggio.  Tee and I tried to put in the information to their website but it kept giving and error and could not finish.  Now this !!!!  I guess the reason was they were not on the list of authorized dealers as the sale of the business had been done, little did we know.  What a cluster.  I have an hour before they open and I can talk directly to them.  All I want is this motorcycle.  Just bad Karma I guess.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here