Author Topic: A short break in Cornwall  (Read 529 times)

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
A short break in Cornwall
« on: March 19, 2024, 01:21:11 PM »
Last weekend I took a day off work and had 3 days and 2 nights in Cornwall on the Breva 750. This was because I really needed a trip, and the Youth Hostels Association (I'm a member) had a special going for selected hostels and one of them was Penzance. So on Friday I set off in the rain for Penzance, less than 100 miles away. I did dawdle and even pootled a bit. Stopped at the Lizard for a traditional Cornish lunch of black tacos and nachos...and then had a break for hot choccie at Marazion opposite St Michaels Mount. Booked into hostel at 5 and had a great meal then settled down to read one of my 2 books; one by our very own Nick Adams :bow:  and Racing Hitler by the excellent Matt Oxley. That was my evening! It was a good one.

Next day, (in the rain of course) I rode down to Sennen Cove, a gorgeously pretty place with good surf, but it was essentially closed. I then rode the very good St Just to St Ives road, very much careful riding in the wet with blind corners, standing water, sheep etc.. but all good fun, and because its not "the season" and it was foggy and raining, I had the road to myself. Got to St Ives, decided that was a no go due to parking restrictions and all, so just reversed to route to St Just. Great lunch there freindly folks, much talk of the rugby to come. Took a boring way back to the hostel and settled in to watch the rugby and enjoy my sausages and mash, dessert being treacle tart and icecream. No roughing it in the YHA, at least not this one. Wine was available. Scotland lost the rugby :cry:

Next day was riding home day so went along the north shore of Cornwall for a bit via Gwithian and Portreath...great open riding, and some excellent beaches with good breaks. Met a freind at Lostwithiel, he rides a blue V7 Mk 3 most excellent machine. We were going to repair to a cafe, only to find them all shut! So it was a picnic lunch from the CoOp. Nice enough though. Finally up the road to Plymouth and a cuppa coffee at Captain Jaspers, which was infested with the ape hanger crowd. But a decent finish to the trip.

Must do this more often!

PS will add some pics later.

Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
Re: A short break in Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 03:43:14 PM »
Great report. Re the rugby-- cheer up, at least you're not Welsh...
1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 04:00:56 PM »

Mullion Cove
Scotty

Thomas Paine

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 04:06:11 PM »

Marazion with St Michael's Mt in the background.

Portreath, with a few out...

Lunch stop on the last day. Norman Bridge with later Gothic additions...
Scotty

Thomas Paine

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 04:06:11 PM »

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 04:33:54 PM »
Sounds like a great trip, even in the wet.

On the Norman bridge, what are the angle stone protrusions, that are built, vertically into the bridge structure?
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 04:46:14 PM »
Re the bridge, the protrusions are 90 degrees triangles and leave a space for you to get off the narrow road as a pedestrian.  I think they also align with the direction of the river. Later Gothic part had to be built when the river shifted course.
Scotty

Thomas Paine

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 05:02:24 PM »

Lunch stop on the last day. Norman Bridge with later Gothic additions...

How old is the bridge?
Great post.
He lost the run of himself.

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2024, 07:06:31 AM »
Hi John,

the bridge was built in the 1300s by the Norman Earl of Cornwall. It was upgraded I think in the 1500s - that's the bit on the left of the picture with the Gothic type arches. Had to be done as the river had moved away from the original part of the bridge.  Walking around the town there was a house built in 1500 from stone blocks, not a huge place but solid!

I'll go back to Lostwithiel - its not far away but quite a charming place - when its open! The other advantage is it leads onto the East Taphouse to Pelynt road - a real romp over the hills.
Scotty

Thomas Paine

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 08:47:23 AM »
Off-season in Cornwall is the way to go. I'd swap crowded roads and grockles for a bit of rain any time.
The only time I've ridden there was in February (2018?) on a rented V-Strom. Wonderful back roads.

Glad you had a great trip. I hope the book provided a moment or two of enjoyment.

Best wishes

Nick

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
    • South East Massive
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 01:07:11 PM »
The book continues to provide both entertainment and inspiration to, as another person I follow on You Tube says "Get Out And Do The Thing"  :-) If you can ride an early 70s Guzzi I can certainly plod along on a 2004 one for a bit while longer. I suspect that post Easter that part of Cornwall might be a bit more crowded and maybe a bit more "open". Only the fact I was supposed to meet a freind at midday in Lostwithiel prevented me from doing a lot more back lane exploring on Sunday, which was the best for the weather.
Scotty

Thomas Paine

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 04:44:14 PM »
Hi John,

the bridge was built in the 1300s by the Norman Earl of Cornwall. It was upgraded I think in the 1500s - that's the bit on the left of the picture with the Gothic type arches. Had to be done as the river had moved away from the original part of the bridge.  Walking around the town there was a house built in 1500 from stone blocks, not a huge place but solid!

I'll go back to Lostwithiel - its not far away but quite a charming place - when its open! The other advantage is it leads onto the East Taphouse to Pelynt road - a real romp over the hills.

Excellent.  Thanks for the response.  I'll never get to ride there so this is a nice way to travel the globe.  :)
He lost the run of himself.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here