Author Topic: Ignition Coils - Points - Dyna v Oil Can  (Read 2116 times)

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
Ignition Coils - Points - Dyna v Oil Can
« on: November 26, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
All.

I need to get a set of coils for a tonti I am building up. The coils will be mounted up under the tank so a smaller set like the Dynas would be handy.

Any one have experience with the green 3.0 Ohm Dynas, are they worth the price? or is it best to just stick with the older, cheaper and more easily available in a breakdown oil can style?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand/supplier of the oil can style (in Australia if possible)

Cheers

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Ignition Coils - Points - Dyna v Oil Can
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »
I've had 3 sets of Dyna green and only 1 got a crack. Get the black ones if you are worried about it, both good.
I also run Dyna Ign on 2 bikes. All good for 35yrs.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 03:53:43 PM »
The green ones die quickly (overheat and crack open) if the key is left on, engine not running, for too long. I'd go for the black 5 ohm Dynas for a street bike.
Charlie

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »
What Charlie and Steve said. I've got two bikes with green 3ohm Dynas. No problems. One came to me that way 20K ago, and the other I set up six months and 2K ago. I'm careful leaving ignition off with engine stopped.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »

Offline Cdn850T5NT

• Cdn850T5NT
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 12:52:45 AM »
What Charlie and Steve said. I've got two bikes with green 3ohm Dynas. No problems. One came to me that way 20K ago, and the other I set up six months and 2K ago. I'm careful leaving ignition off with engine stopped.

Me too re leaving the ignition switch on...

Dad taught me that many moons ago...
1985 Eurospec 850 T5 NT (Nuovo Tipo - New Type... i.e. Series III)

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 07:51:52 AM »
Make sure the coils are getting air. Ace Mallott told me this years ago when I had problems withe coils. Hope this helps you.

Tex

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 10:42:59 AM »
The green ones die quickly (overheat and crack open) if the key is left on, engine not running, for too long. I'd go for the black 5 ohm Dynas for a street bike.

Bump I have had 3 green coils fail in 35,000K miles.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
<I have had 3 green coils fail in 35,000K miles.>

More data would be helpful. Any idea what killed them? Were they all in the same application?

I've not only had them on the two Guzzis I've been riding lately, but several of the airheads were dual plugged when I got them and used the same coils. I've never had one fail in the last 25 years I've been around them.

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 02:38:10 PM »
Ok thanks, soundike black dyna 5ohm are the go with my points ignition.

Does anyone prefer the oil can types? I have heard that there a (bosch?) flame throwers that are supposed to be good.

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »
I think the bosch lightning bolts are less than 3 ohms.

Here are two more data points: One of my tontis is points, the other dyna electronic. Both with 3 ohm dyna coils.

The other data point is my Haynes manual for the 74-8 Guzzis lists the coils as 3 ohm, and they were definitely points ignitions.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »

Does anyone prefer the oil can types? I have heard that there a (bosch?) flame throwers that are supposed to be good.

If you have room for a pair of the Bosch Blue Coil or Pertronix Flame Thrower, either is a good choice, the Bosch in particular is super durable. Neither is an "oil can" type though - epoxy filled, no oil.
Charlie

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 12:07:45 AM »
If you have room for a pair of the Bosch Blue Coil or Pertronix Flame Thrower, either is a good choice, the Bosch in particular is super durable. Neither is an "oil can" type though - epoxy filled, no oil.

Thanks Charlie, I had assumed that any cylinder type ones were oil filled, I'll see if I can fit the Flame Throwers/Bosch Blue's up under the tank.t

Just to confirm - 3.0 ohms if preferred for points

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 01:35:30 AM »
  3 ohms is pretty much the lowest resistance recommended for points . 5 ohms tends to offer longer point life and is certainly capable of adequate spark energy .
I've been in touch with Dyna a few times concerning running 3 ohm Dyna twin lead coils ( I've got twin plugged heads ) using their electronic ignition and they said
they'd prefer 5 ohm coils , go figure ! Something about heat , yet the stock Guzzi point ignition coils were 3 ohm . Hope this adds some confusion  :rolleyes:, Peter

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 08:45:51 AM »
Thanks Charlie, I had assumed that any cylinder type ones were oil filled, I'll see if I can fit the Flame Throwers/Bosch Blue's up under the tank.t

Just to confirm - 3.0 ohms if preferred for points

If using the Bosch Blue or Pertronix coils, yes 3 ohms works best in my experience.
Charlie

Offline yackee

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 09:11:32 AM »
The pertronix are apparently available as oil filler OR epoxy filled, former for better cooling latter for better vibration resistance. At least according to the internet sites selling them.

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2019, 09:15:41 AM »
Dave Richardson, Guzziology, likes the Flame Throwers as I recall. Have had no problems on my small block.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
Great discussion!  :thumb:

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
<I have had 3 green coils fail in 35,000K miles.>

More data would be helpful. Any idea what killed them? Were they all in the same application?

I've not only had them on the two Guzzis I've been riding lately, but several of the airheads were dual plugged when I got them and used the same coils. I've never had one fail in the last 25 years I've been around them.

I haven't the slightest idea what killed them. I was able to attach them in the same spot where the stock can coils came from. The all died the same way by acting up intermittently. I am running a whole Dyna III package in a Mille that came with Moto Plat electronic ignition.
I also had the a Dyna electronic module fail on me. I bought a used a points dizzy and put the Dyna in that. The late great Joe Eish told me to forget the Dyna and just leave the points in. He said I got 70,000 miles on the bike I am riding and never touched the points. Joe was great.
Triple Jim on the board here makes CDI units for Kaw and other bikes and he made a CDI unit for his Mille to work with points and uses blue Bosch (?) coils. He says the using the CDI unit reduces electrical load on the points and they last a lot longer. I think his coils are 5 ohms. He has the harness set up so he can remove the CDI unit if it fails and just plug it in the old fashion way.
Red 90 Mille GT

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here