Author Topic: V85: Tom Tom vs Guzzi MIA and Google Maps?  (Read 2927 times)

elvisboy77

V85: Tom Tom vs Guzzi MIA and Google Maps?
« on: April 14, 2020, 07:59:40 AM »
Has anyone used the new MIA function on the V85 in conjunction with their smartphone navigation (Google maps etc)?  How does this compare with the TomTom 550 Rider GPS?  Just wondering if the $270 is worth it for the GPS.  Thanks.

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V85: Tom Tom vs Guzzi MIA and Google Maps?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 02:05:16 PM »
The MIA only uses the maps from Moto Guzzi, it will not use Google Maps or other smartphone apps.  I don't care for the MIA setup and it has many things that make the experience less than ideal.  The included maps are not robust IMO and hard to work with, I have a Garmin 660 GPS on the bike and have used Google Maps via my phone in addition to the MIA while in Mexico and found the Garmin to be very helpful along with Google but the MIA is difficult to use.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 02:56:48 PM »
The MIA has one great advantage.  It uses the V95 dashboard as it's screen, removing the clutter that any additional GPS introduces.  There is no map displayed, just the next and following turn information.  It works surprisingly well, despite being a real pain to do the initial setup.  And it's always available when you suddenly decide you need guidance.

But it's expensive.  I've also used Google maps, not by viewing them, but listening to turn instructions via the bluetooth in my helmet.  Except for the cost of the helmet bluetooth, it's free (Guzzi content).  It is also always available no matter which bike you are riding.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 04:00:37 PM »
The MIA has one great advantage.  It uses the V95 dashboard as it's screen, removing the clutter that any additional GPS introduces.  There is no map displayed, just the next and following turn information.  It works surprisingly well, despite being a real pain to do the initial setup.  And it's always available when you suddenly decide you need guidance.

But it's expensive.  I've also used Google maps, not by viewing them, but listening to turn instructions via the bluetooth in my helmet.  Except for the cost of the helmet bluetooth, it's free (Guzzi content).  It is also always available no matter which bike you are riding.
Will those guards I sent you, fit the V95 Dave...? :popcorn:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 04:00:37 PM »

elvisboy77

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 05:13:56 PM »

Thanks, this is very helpful.  I think like you I will use it only as needed so it is better for me, I dont think I need a GPS.  I am picking up my new V85 from Cadre on Thursday (Trading my "very nice" 1400 Eldo for it so see Enzo for a great used bike BTW) and the V85TT travel comes with the MIA as standard.

So excited, I have to say.  Enzo says it is even better in real life than the pics, they don't do it justice I hear

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »

Haven't arrived yet, Huzo.  Only essential mail is being delivered at the moment.

What part of a Moto Guzzi is not essential? 

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
The best advantage of the MIA is that you will need to have your smartphone with you to use it and so you will have Google/Apple maps to bail you out when the MIA app won't get the job done.  Since it comes with the Travel version of the V85 I can't argue for also adding an expensive GPS on top of the cost of the new bike but be aware it isn't the easiest thing to use.  Being in lockdown perhaps this is a good chance to see if I can finally get it to pair to my helmet comset, I gave up trying when I first got the bike so maybe it improves when you can hear the directions.  I've found the display hard to decipher at times when riding especially in cities where streets are close to each other making it hard to determine the next turning.  The MIA comes with a 3 year subscription to the service and who knows what it might cost once that expires but I don't see myself paying anything for it unless it improves dramatically between now and then. 

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 09:40:02 PM »

Now I get it. Simple miss on the keyboard.  Without my glasses, the 8 & the 9 look identical.  I never noticed until now.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here