Author Topic: Lost friends  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Lost friends
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »
Interesting and for me, a very timely post.

First - 73 sport, I'm sorry for your losses.

After roughly 40 years without canine companionship, last week I busted a move and obtained an 8 week old Border Collie. I am in the process of house training him and I have to say what a strong willed little guy he is.

He is my answer to living a loveless existence. I have no kids, my wife is disappearing into an alcoholic haze and has twice told me to leave this house and I have no family to speak of. In my most recent telemedicine session with my cardiologist, I was told "For you, a puppy is medicine."

I now have someone who is glad to see me. I am beyond overjoyed to have him in my life.

I bestowed the order of the sweaty old guitar strap on him and he prefers it to the pig ear next to him in the photo. He sits at my feet while I play guitar and seems fond of my rendition of Blind Lemon Jefferson's See That My Grave is Kept Clean.

He is more than a handful. He's a basketful...of love.

73 - get yourself a puppy!

Bob, Glad you've found someone to be your family. That dog will always be you're best friend! 
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2021, 05:21:23 PM »
Dogs aren't actually descended from wolves; at least no extant spp. anyways.

Dogs & wolves share a common (now extinct) ancestor.

This concept of divergent evolution is important, as it explains the physiological and social differences between the two spp.  They're related through co-evolution rather than direct descent.

I suspect the ostensibly "antisocial" dogs to which Dusty alludes are Cape Hunting Dogs (Lycaon rictus rictus), which aren't even in the genus Canis, are taxonomically distinct to the various dogs, wolves & coyotes in Canis.
Severus bastardis

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 05:46:46 PM »

My SIL has a wolf sanctuary, she rescues wolves bred in captivity when people find out they're not all that good of a pet  :grin: My 1st time in an enclosure with Tacoma, this 140lb doggie, I knew right away this was not your ordinary Fideaux. I was told not to look him in the eyes and keep my hands at my side. Tacoma walked up to me and stuck his muzzle under my junk and lifted and sniffed. All I could do is say NICE BOY TACOMA  :grin: 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 05:47:59 PM by Guzzistajohn »

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 05:59:49 PM »
Dogs aren't actually descended from wolves; at least no extant spp. anyways.

Dogs & wolves share a common (now extinct) ancestor.

This concept of divergent evolution is important, as it explains the physiological and social differences between the two spp.  They're related through co-evolution rather than direct descent.

I suspect the ostensibly "antisocial" dogs to which Dusty alludes are Cape Hunting Dogs (Lycaon rictus rictus), which aren't even in the genus Canis, are taxonomically distinct to the various dogs, wolves & coyotes in Canis.

Not sure where you heard or read that , because in fact they are directly descended from the Grey Wolf . Over time their brains evolved somewhat , they lost some things and gained some things as they adapted to being part of the human pack . The African Wild , or Painted dog is a canine that has retained more of its Wolf brain , making it neither wolf nor dog  .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 05:59:49 PM »

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »
All dogs came from the wolf. That being said, to become an acceptable family member all dogs must be trained in the same manor the wolf pack trains the newly introduced pups, which is to be at the bottom on the pack. I spent the majority of my work career training and working dogs and the extent to their ability and loyalty to man is unmeasurable. And yes loosing one that you have invested your heart in is a bad day. I totally understand the PO’s  broken heart and thankfully time will heal and adopting another will speed up that process.

Help me out here Dan, are you the good lookin one on the right in this picture, or the other one?   :wink:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:12:39 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2021, 06:49:47 PM »
It's an African wild dog breed , it is interesting to watch them literally ignore humans , almost jarring because we are so conditioned to dogs always responding to us .

Dusty

one of my college roommates had a 3/4 wolf dog.  it was the same.  It would walk thru a room full of people like there was no one in the room.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2021, 06:58:59 PM »
Interesting and for me, a very timely post.

First - 73 sport, I'm sorry for your losses.

After roughly 40 years without canine companionship, last week I busted a move and obtained an 8 week old Border Collie. I am in the process of house training him and I have to say what a strong willed little guy he is.

He is my answer to living a loveless existence. I have no kids, my wife is disappearing into an alcoholic haze and has twice told me to leave this house and I have no family to speak of. In my most recent telemedicine session with my cardiologist, I was told "For you, a puppy is medicine."

I now have someone who is glad to see me. I am beyond overjoyed to have him in my life.

I bestowed the order of the sweaty old guitar strap on him and he prefers it to the pig ear next to him in the photo. He sits at my feet while I play guitar and seems fond of my rendition of Blind Lemon Jefferson's See That My Grave is Kept Clean.

He is more than a handful. He's a basketful...of love.

73 - get yourself a puppy!

kudos on finding the right therapist!

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2021, 06:59:27 PM »
Help me out here Dan, are the good lookin one on the right in this picture, or the other one?   :wink:
Lol Sir Ed, the one on the right of course. I was only the helper on the other end of the leash 👍
Here’s another one of my 4 partners.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:02:55 PM by Ncdan »

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2021, 07:00:56 PM »
    Dusty. I knew my post would elicit much comment, which I was hoping for. I noticed that in relation to other subjects there are no negative or controversial comments, and many of the respondents have almost bared their souls. I don't think a response like this would come about with any other subject. Horst.

No problems Horst , it is a good thread .

Dusty

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2021, 07:14:38 PM »
Lol Sir Ed, the one on the right of course. I was only the helper on the other end of the leash 👍
Here’s another one of my 4 partners.

It's important to train the chauffeurs to memorize the locations of the fast food drive thrus...... if this is beyond their mental capacity, then they got to go!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:18:17 PM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2021, 07:54:56 PM »
     To the op sorry for your losses, nothing like losing a good dog, :cry: I've buried a few.

As far as the discussion on evolution, I think the cave had a lot to do with it; my best dogs, I always described as good cave dogs, they'd never go to the bathroom intentionally in the house, I had one dog who's metabolism would almost shut down when he was at home alone guarding our "cave", he wouldn't eat or drink while alone.

My best dogs, always knew the best vantage point to be located to watch for any danger, and some of them would instinctually guard your backside and never stray far from home or the fire.

I agree with John, between a good dog and a bike is a tough choice; once I realized that my rescue Shepherd suffered physically whenever I went for a ride, I found it very difficult to leave her alone and cause her pain.

As John Prine said, "some humans ain't human"; but a good dog sure helps make up for the failings of humanity, and makes the world a righter place, jmo

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:56:12 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2021, 08:04:52 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2021, 08:35:24 PM »
   To Compliment Guzzitajohns' post. Lyndon Johnson said "If you want a friend in Washington get a dog.

Harry S Truman , Johnson picked up his beagles by their ears .

Dusty

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2021, 08:36:39 PM »
  In the same vein, Charles de Gaulle said " The more I know people, the more I like dogs.
So true 73👍

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2021, 08:52:36 PM »
   Dusty, I remember those pix of Johnson lifting his dogs by their ears, that lowered my opinion of him even lower than it was. The fore going is not political.

Oddly enough , the incident its self wasn't anywhere near as awful as our memories make it out to be , he was actually quite the dog lover .

Dusty

Online leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2021, 09:02:00 PM »
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2021, 08:13:52 AM »
one of my college roommates had a 3/4 wolf dog.  it was the same.  It would walk thru a room full of people like there was no one in the room.

I had a Husky/Shepherd mix that would do that. If you were a member of his circle of pals(pack?) he was pretty friendly. He loved all children, though. I could take him to an outdoor party and just let him go. When it was time to leave he could be found playing with the kids. Was also a respectable upland bird dog.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2021, 06:21:48 PM »
 Yeah , we had a part Chow/something , he came to live with us from a couple blocks away , just kinda planted his flag and stayed . Doj wasn't really hostile most of the time , but like most Chows he wasn't much interested in anyone not in his immediate pack . He did like kids , but he ignored adults, unless one came into the yard , even then he was quiet and matter of fact in his insistence that you weren't getting by him .

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here