Author Topic: I need to learn how to….  (Read 1335 times)

bobrebos

I need to learn how to….
« on: May 20, 2022, 01:45:47 PM »
Balance throttle bodies, adjust tps, step motor etc on my 2013 Stelvio or leave Moto guzzi.  If I can’t do the maintenance on it I have no business owning one.   I change rearend/tranny fluid brake fluid plugs etc but some of the things I’m clueless on.   I don’t have a dealership nearby that anybody gives me any vote of confidence on, matter of fact just the opposite.  To you tube I go. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 02:20:57 PM by bobrebos »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: I need to learn how to….
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 02:28:05 PM »
Balance throttle bodies, adjust tps, step motor etc on my 2013 Stelvio or leave Moto guzzi.  If I can’t do the maintenance on it I have no business owning one.   I change rearend/tranny fluid brake fluid plugs etc but some of the things I’m clueless on.   I don’t have a dealership nearby that anybody gives me any vote of confidence on, matter of fact just the opposite.  To you tube I go.
There are several guys here that can assist and walk you through the process, as they have me👍

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 02:47:31 PM »

There is a thread on here about how to use Guzzidiag...would suggest reading it, reading it again, printing it out and having it with you while working on the bike.

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96957.0

Download (for free) the latest version of Guzzidiag
Buy the Lonelec cables, do NOT buy any other cables
Get a good laptop
Make sure your battery is either fully charged OR on a charger

If you are unable for any reason to connect, try a different USB port on your computer until it connects.

When it does, you just follow the instructions step by step (turn on ignition, read values, reset parameters, turn off etc.) in the order the software prompts you to do so.  Follow it step by step or it won't work.

Throttle body balancing - buy a Carbtune or Twinmax (I have a practically new one, happy to send it to you for the cost of postage) if you prefer it over the Carbtune.

Once you are able to master Guzzidiag for reading values, resetting parameters, you can then take the next steps IF needed to load a new map (from Beetle) if you desire.

Did I mention that you need to go Step by step?  You'll see why once you download the software.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 02:59:29 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 02:49:04 PM »
You don't have to leave Bob, haul it up to Sloans= pretty good shop. A friend of mine took his Aprillia there w/great results.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 02:49:04 PM »

bobrebos

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 02:57:47 PM »
There is a thread on here about how to use Guzzidiag...would suggest reading it, reading it again, printing it out and having it with you while working on the bike.

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96957.0

Download (for free) the latest version of Guzzidiag
Buy the Lonelec cables, do NOT buy any other cables
Get a good laptop
Make sure your battery is either fully charged OR on a charger

If you are unable for any reason to connect, try a different USB port on your computer until it connects.

When it does, you just follow the instructions step by step (turn on ignition, read values, reset parameters, turn off etc.) in the order the software prompts you to do so.  Follow it step by step or it won't work.

Throttle body balancing - buy a Carbtune or Twinmax (I have a practically new one, happy to send it  :thumb:to you for the cost of postage) if you prefer it over the Carbtune.
 :thumb: :thumb:
Once you are able to master Guzzidiad for reading values, resetting parameters, you can then take the next steps IF needed to load a new map (from Beetle) if you desire.

Did I mention that you need to go Step by step?  You'll see why once you download the software.

Thank you! 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 05:15:36 PM »
Just be prepared to feel utterly useless for quite a while..
Read “New and Improved Guzzidiag tutorial” over and over and over and……..etc
Get the CORRECT cables and good laptop, if you by some half arsed crap equipment, you’ll not know if the problem is you, or the hardware…

Just when you are beginning to know something you’ll encounter something new and you’ll know nothing again.
I absolutely bugged the crap out of Paul Brooking and Gonzo, without them I would probably have given up.

I still know nothing, but now I know what I don’t know, before this I wasn’t even aware what needed to be known.
You will make lots of mistakes and every time you go to do something, you’ll have forgotten how you did it last time, then it half gells again and off you stagger towards the next crisis.
I have learned to reset the TPS on the Norge and V85, check the CO trim on the Norge and check for current codes.
I had no chance loading a map into the 1200 Sport, but Christopher did that.
I am so hopeless, I spent all afternoon once trying to get my freaking V85 to hook up to Guzzidiag which I had successfully done before, only to fail over and over again.
Turned out I had the Norge selected instead of the ‘85…. :embarrassed:
All very humbling.
My biggest issue was that every person who tried to help me, wrongly thought he had gone back to the base of my knowlege, no one correctly ascertained how devoid of understanding I actually was……Pitiful.

Only read the bits of Beetle’s tutorial that apply to you, do not contaminate your knowlege with information about other bikes.
Practice…Practice…Practice…
Only use Guzzidiag Reader, do not go near Guzzidiag Writer until you really have some chops.
It took me at least a year, going from session to session, before I could conduct a conversation with my helpers.
Roper, Brooking, Gonzo.

You are not alone here and do not think that just because one member is great at one thing, he is therefore great at this.
Keep failing and asking questions…(not to me though, you’ll end up more confused…)
Bump the “New and Improved Guzzidiag Tutorial” thread and ask your questions there…..

I admire your honesty and candour.
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :bow: :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 05:26:18 PM by Huzo »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 06:46:18 PM »
That's the problem with using diagnostic software on a bike. (With me, at least)  I'll do it once, muck around with it, watch YouTube vids, exchange posts with those far more knowledgeable than I until it all comes together, works and it does what I wanted.  Then I put the laptop and cables away for who knows how many months.  Then when the time comes to do it all again, I've completely forgotten how and have to start from scratch.  Ugh! 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 07:04:58 PM »
Far more value in learning and investing in tool for things like tire changes.

I cannot see if you are not self-sufficient in performing all tasks giving up on the bike. If you do might as well give up on motorcycling as most bikes out complex MG.
What the hell does that even mean?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:46:11 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 07:35:29 PM »
That's the problem with using diagnostic software on a bike. (With me, at least)  I'll do it once, muck around with it, watch YouTube vids, exchange posts with those far more knowledgeable than I until it all comes together, works and it does what I wanted.  Then I put the laptop and cables away for who knows how many months.  Then when the time comes to do it all again, I've completely forgotten how and have to start from scratch.  Ugh!
But that’s where you can make ground.
Even when things are good, go out and hook it up again and go through the motions.
Rehearse the process.
Here’s a plan..
Find someone who you know can perform the tasks you need and contact them here.
Pack the lap top and paraphernalia aboard the bike and go for a ride there. Go out for dinner at your expense and chat about the whole thing and ask him (or her), to perform the functions in your presence the following day while you watch.
When you get back home, your next attempt will feel more solid and you will have the benefit of knowing that it CAN be done.
I have/had a standing offer similar to this from Gonzo and Paul Brooking.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:18:34 PM by Huzo »

bobrebos

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 08:24:36 PM »
Far more value in learning and investing in tool for things like tire changes.

I cannot see if you are not self-sufficient in performing all tasks giving up on the bike. If you do might as well give up on motorcycling as most bikes out complex MG.

Good point!  Some things may be too hard for me to comprehend anyways, but I probably should give it a try anyways so I am not at the mercy of some dealership all the time for the electronic things! 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:28:41 PM by bobrebos »

Offline ridingron

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 10:58:25 PM »
... and ask him (or her), to perform the functions in your presence the following day while you watch.                 

This or maybe try to perform the functions yourself with the Guzzi Coach keeping you on track.

bobrebos

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 04:51:30 AM »
I can work on my 1972 Honda cb750 chopper, rebuild carbs, change carb jets, do brakes, tires, fluid change (oil and brake) cut and replace chain etc etc.  something to be said for being able to work on the older bikes anyways.  I may not understand the new bikes electronics but the old chopper gets me around!   Who needs four valves per cylinder, dual overhead cams, computerized fuel injection, etc, when you can keep it simple and be able to work on it?!  Lol

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 05:40:07 AM by bobrebos »

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 04:52:51 AM »
This or maybe try to perform the functions yourself with the Guzzi Coach keeping you on track.

Good point...that is what I did years ago and happy to say none of my 4 Guzzi's have ever been to a so called SHOP.
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 05:38:56 AM »
AND, before the spanners come out  - Find out where the SACRED SCREW is and stay far away from it!!!!!

Lots of spot on advice.  When I did my first tune up on the Norge I knew nothing, but I followed Beetle's and Pete Roper's instructions to the letter and it worked out perfectly.   

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 05:41:57 AM by Dave Swanson »
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 10:33:06 AM »
Only you know what is right for you.

It sounds like you may have a gremlin going on already causing grief, that a simple tuneup, may not cure, I'd hate to see you end up chasing your tail in frustration because of a minor loose connection or corrosion issue.

If you don't have the headspace and capacity for digital frustration but have the wallet to pay for someone with skills, put it on someone else's shoulders. If Steve recommends Sloans and they're close by to you, done deal, headache is over.

If you decide to jump into the tuning yourself, set yourself up for success.

If you search here and elsewhere, Beetle has uploaded excellent instructions for a basic simple tune up, read it a few times, as mentioned print it out so you have it.

Lonelec cables, laptop(any old windows laptop to simplify it) with the right guzzidiag for your bike/ECU, simple homemade tube manometer and make sure that you do the mechanical part of the tuneup BEFORE you jump into the digital crap; ie valves adjusted, throttle bodies are closing properly so you have good baselines to start from.

As mentioned, setting it all up and getting connected and recognized is the biggest hurdle, the first time I tuned my GRISO, it took me all night to get the laptop, ECU, Lonelec Cable reading properly, once I was finally in, the tuneup only took 10-15 minutes.

I agree as someone else mentioned, because I do it so rarely, and each bike is a little different, I have to relearn it each time, because I forget the fine details; but it is extremely satisfying getting things all tuned up,synched and running sweet on your own.

fwiw good luck
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 10:36:41 AM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 12:52:16 PM »
fwiw good luck
The more he practices, the luckier he’ll get… :popcorn:

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 02:08:21 PM »
When I'm in a situation like yours, I prefer to have a shop reset the bike to zero. Then I can address individual issues as they come up rather than trying to chase multiple problems.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2022, 05:08:41 PM »
Just buy an old British bike. Everything else will seem simple by comparison.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2022, 06:33:32 PM »
Just buy an old British bike. Everything else will seem simple by comparison.

What?

Old British bikes are about as simple as a motorcycle can get.  Points ignition, carb, 4-speed transmission, chain drive.

A monkey with a Crescent wrench and a hammer can work on a Triumph or BSA.
1990 MilleGT

Offline CanBike

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2022, 06:45:23 PM »
I re-mapped my '17 V7. Took a while to get it working on my MacBook Air, and got pretty crossed eyed, but slowly figured it out. Now I need to dig in on my 2v Sport 1200. I love the bike, but I suspect it could run a lot better.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 02:29:33 PM »
Just buy an old British bike. Everything else will seem simple reliable by comparison.
Fixed it for ya!  :grin:

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 04:31:08 PM »
What?

Old British bikes are about as simple as a motorcycle can get.  Points ignition, carb, 4-speed transmission, chain drive.

A monkey with a Crescent wrench and a hammer can work on a Triumph or BSA.

Yes, on a Monday. Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday there will be problems to solve so maybe a ride on Friday. Next week it will be fine…..the following week, who knows.  My point is that working on a British bike can be difficult even with their simplicity. And I rarely talk to a British bike owner who runs points and have either moved to Mikuni’s or Amal Premiers. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2022, 06:26:19 PM »
I've read enough Peter Egan to know I'd never own a Norton, even though I think they are the best looking Brit bike ever made.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 07:09:56 PM »
I've read enough Peter Egan to know I'd never own a Norton, even though I think they are the best looking Brit bike ever made.
I reckon a well fettled original T120 Bonneville is as pretty as they get, but to actually go somewhere, a T160 Trident goes close.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here