Author Topic: Transmission gear oil level Calvin and Roundheads?  (Read 1871 times)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Transmission gear oil level Calvin and Roundheads?
« on: October 23, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »
     I was just reading the confessions of a newbie thread, where the topic of transmission oil level was discussed at length, but after reading it, I'm still confused, so I started a new thread for the benefit of myself and others.

My understanding has always been, that the old 5 speed transmissions from round heads (my G5 & CX100) right up to the B1100 motor in my 2008 CalVin, are all basically the same and all require .75 L of 80w90 gear oil, and that this amount inside the case should be enough to come up to the bottom of the hole when the transmission level plug is removed to check the level.

I've done gear oil changes in the past and I don't recall if .75 L brought me below the level hole,,, I don't recall adding extra to bring it up to the level hole,,, I might have? (I don't recall noting anything out of the ordinary)

The reason for my concern is this,,, when I read the other thread concerning transmission oil level,,, there seemed to be concencus that .75 was the MAX that should go in,,, and it may or may not be level with the level plug hole.

When I recently had the issue with the slipping clutch, due to an overfilled transmission case,, on the new to me CalVin,,, what I did to achieve the correct? tranny oil level, was pull the level drain plug, and let all the excess oil drain out for quite a while until it was level with the bottom of the level plug hole, I drained out a cup and rationalized that at that level it would be correct,, leaving .75 L inside the case at the correct level,,,

After reading the other post,, I'm not so sure anymore?

TIA

ride safe and take care

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Transmission gear oil level Calvin and Roundheads?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 05:34:35 AM »
Hi Kelly

What I do is:

Drain the tranny from the drain plug, then fill with fresh oil until I see lubricant coming out of the level inspection hole.  I do the same in the rear drive.  Takes two bottles of oil - because a litre bottle of oil only contains 950ml.

sigh

G
Midnight bugs taste best

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 05:55:45 AM »
Good grief.  Don't over complicate things.  Just use specified amount of gear oil and ride it.  Don't use the level plugs - Is the bike "level" when you do?  Center stand, sidestand - NO. 

Even with the proper amount, my big block 5 speeds have misted out a couple ounces when I really
rev the crap outta them.  I use a piece of hose and small catch bottle to prevent a mess..  Tranny's also like to find their "happy" level.

Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline KBuck

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:54:36 AM »
Use .75 L; period.
-KBuck

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:54:36 AM »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:00:43 AM »
     I was just reading the confessions of a newbie thread, where the topic of transmission oil level was discussed at length, but after reading it, I'm still confused, so I started a new thread for the benefit of myself and others.

My understanding has always been, that the old 5 speed transmissions from round heads (my G5 & CX100) right up to the B1100 motor in my 2008 CalVin, are all basically the same and all require .75 L of 80w90 gear oil, and that this amount inside the case should be enough to come up to the bottom of the hole when the transmission level plug is removed to check the level.

I've done gear oil changes in the past and I don't recall if .75 L brought me below the level hole,,, I don't recall adding extra to bring it up to the level hole,,, I might have? (I don't recall noting anything out of the ordinary)

The reason for my concern is this,,, when I read the other thread concerning transmission oil level,,, there seemed to be concencus that .75 was the MAX that should go in,,, and it may or may not be level with the level plug hole.

When I recently had the issue with the slipping clutch, due to an overfilled transmission case,, on the new to me CalVin,,, what I did to achieve the correct? tranny oil level, was pull the level drain plug, and let all the excess oil drain out for quite a while until it was level with the bottom of the level plug hole, I drained out a cup and rationalized that at that level it would be correct,, leaving .75 L inside the case at the correct level,,,

After reading the other post,, I'm not so sure anymore?

I have worked on many Guzzi's and have never seen such a problem.  Did you blow out a seal and the oil reached the clutch assembly?  Did you put the oil in the inspection hole on the right side of the bell housing? 

Fill to the inspection hole and go for a ride. 

TIA

ride safe and take care

Kelly

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 04:37:25 PM »
Hi Kelly

What I do is:

Drain the tranny from the drain plug, then fill with fresh oil until I see lubricant coming out of the level inspection hole.  I do the same in the rear drive.  Takes two bottles of oil - because a litre bottle of oil only contains 950ml.

sigh

G

Hey Geoff,  Tks for taking the time to reply,,, in the past that's what I've done,,, (although I thought I was using 1L bottles and getting enough to do both the tranny .75L and rear diff .25L out of one,,, I'll have to check the next bottle I buy for size,lol)

If it wasn't for the slipping clutch problem I had with it,,, I wouldn't be overly concerned,,, tbh, I was breaking out in a cold sweat at the prospect of doing a clutch job on my new to me bike,,,lol.

ps if you happen to read this, I sent you a pm, I'll send you another, I would like to talk to you when you're free some time re these CalVins

Tks

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 05:27:39 PM »
 I too had a slipping clutch 7 years ago when the bike had 18k.
I suspected transmission oil passing through the clutch pushrods seals. There was also evidence of oil discoloration between the gearbox and engine case.
 I rinsed the clutch with white spirit (paint stripper). Changed the transmission oil to thicker 85/140 instead of 80/90 -as suggested and done by my local dealer (and used in small blocks). Made sure the oil level was well below the sight hole (I have had many oil seals issues with my 6 Guzzi but never oil starvation issue!)

It solved the issue. The bike now has 60,700miles and still is on the original clutch with no slippage

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 06:50:02 PM »
I too had a slipping clutch 7 years ago when the bike had 18k.
I suspected transmission oil passing through the clutch pushrods seals. There was also evidence of oil discoloration between the gearbox and engine case.
 I rinsed the clutch with white spirit (paint stripper). Changed the transmission oil to thicker 85/140 instead of 80/90 -as suggested and done by my local dealer (and used in small blocks). Made sure the oil level was well below the sight hole (I have had many oil seals issues with my 6 Guzzi but never oil starvation issue!)

It solved the issue. The bike now has 60,700miles and still is on the original clutch with no slippage

Hey Stephan,   Tks for the reply,,, I had read through many posts including yours re washing the clutch,,, and it did work on mine,,, after I took it for a ride, got it hot and fanned it quite a few times, hasn't slipped since.

I will definitely check into the heavier gear oil, didn't realize that it was the spec on the small blocks. Any Yays or Nays from the peanut gallery lol.

Hopefully at the lower correct level, the seals will do their job, and the slipping clutch is history.

Tks to everyone else who replied as well.

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here