Author Topic: geez, I don't remember the steering head nut this proud when disassembled?  (Read 971 times)

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
putting my 77 lemans back together from being apart since last year, after reinstalling the triple clamps, the top triple has about an 1/8" play up and down.  I definitely don't remember that when I took it apart. the head nut is longer than the body of the upper triple so I don't know how it would be flush anyway. it appears to be flush in older photos of my bike.  do I just raise the upper triple when I lock it onto the forks?  the second photo is me just holding the triple up to nut.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Sure looks like a spacer is missing between the nut and the clamp.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:02:13 PM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
all parts taken off were put back on...and looking at a schematic everything is correct

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
It looks like you might be missing the washer between the dust cap and nut - but that's not going to take up that much slack...

Wildguzzi.com

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
Nope, it’s there. The washer is on top of the nut. Dust cap, nut, washer, upper triple and lastly the steering head nut

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
     Did you by any chance put in new bearings and races? A race not driven fully home would cause such.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
Nope again, just reinstalled as it was removed. All parts the same

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
the second photo shows, from the bottom up, the dust cap, steering head nut, washer then the lower part of the body of the top steering head nut.  I can't figure out how the upper triple doesn't "float" along the body of the top nut.  I've included the schematic from stein dinse

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:43:32 AM by amamet »

Offline Dimples

• Gosling

If everything is accounted for on top, maybe something is missing from the lower triple tree assembly.
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here