Author Topic: Traction Control: Which Models Have It?  (Read 10939 times)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Traction Control: Which Models Have It?
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »
Greetings from a future MG owner!

Which models have traction control? In particular, does the Norge have traction control? (A local dealer told me that they do, or at least that a particular leftover 2013 model has it.) I imagine many people don't care about traction control, but where I live it rains a lot (enough to soak through my supposedly waterproof rain gear). In my mind, traction control would be nice to have (along with ABS).

I thought only the new V7 II models (which are not here yet in the US), the Stelvio 1200 NTX, and the California Custom and Touring have it...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

beetle

Re: Traction Control: Which Models Have It?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
Yep, late model Norges do.

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:32:08 PM »
My 72 Eldo had manual traction control, Sport Demon tires and low horsepower along with antilock brakes.... er, made for traction control...

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »
Yep, late model Norges do.

I suppose all 8V norges or no 8V Norges, since they are all the same.
But I can't find it in the current documentation.  Also downloaded the 2013 user manual, nothing in it.

Anyway from what I understood, the Stelvio has pretty simple traction control.
Also all Stelvio with the big tank have it.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »

Offline ItsForrest

• Ugly Bag of Mostly Water
  • Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »
No TC on the Norges unless it's a secret feature.
Beetle may be thinking of the Stelvio? Or just mixing up acronyms?
ABS yes, TC no.
The urge to buy terrorizes!

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 03:44:22 PM »
AFAIK: the Stelvio has a rudimentary TC system; the California 1400 has a slightly more advanced TC system; and the Norge has no TC at all.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
^ Ah! Perhaps someone was pulling my leg in an effort to get me off the fence: "Yes, this Norge has it..."

I suppose TC and ABS are not really necessary. One can always use the throttle and brakes carefully. Still, they would add a measure of security in the slop in which I ride.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
Unfortunately , many salesmen don't know the difference between ABS , TC , or FLHSTC  ;D Or yeah , he may have just been , umm , fibbing .

Dusty

dilligaf

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
I don't think I know what "traction control" is.   ???   :BEER:
Matt

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »
The Norge 8v map has a traction control part in it. But can be deactivated. And if you would use the stelvio 8v map that has it, there is no means to know if it is on, because the dash doesn't show it.
Paul

beetle

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »
The Norge 8v map has a traction control part in it. But can be deactivated. And if you would use the stelvio 8v map that has it, there is no means to know if it is on, because the dash doesn't show it.

That's why I thought it had it. I've only looked at the maps.

Sorry, JeffOlsen. My boo-boo.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 05:21:15 PM »
My 72 Eldo had manual traction control, Sport Demon tires and low horsepower along with antilock brakes.... er, made for traction control...

Your Eldo like mine also has fly by wire. The throttle cables are made with wire.

I'd rather people learn to ride properly than to rely on technology to save their a$$.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 05:23:14 PM »
Unfortunately , many salesmen don't know the difference between ABS , TC , or FLHSTC  ;D Or yeah , he may have just been , umm , fibbing .

Dusty

There's an old saying, "Salesmen have a license to lie." Just the same, it p!sses me off.. OR, being generous, he's just a dumbas... oh never mind.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »
It is interesting that a MAP for the ECU could control traction. I would have thought it would need to be a bit more sophisticated than that and at least be able to compare the rotation of the two wheels and adjust the speed of the rear wheel to match the speed of the front wheel.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline ItsForrest

• Ugly Bag of Mostly Water
  • Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 05:45:29 PM »
Well the bike does have ABS and therefor does have the sensors on the wheels for wheel speed.

Now all this has me wondering. I'll have to go try to spin the rear wheel just to be sure now.

I kinda figured Beetle knew these things from a tech aspect better than I do so it had to be a brain fart on his part to say it has TC. Interesting that it is in the ECU map but seems possible the hardware doesn't support it. What else is that ECU used on?
The urge to buy terrorizes!

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 05:55:31 PM »
well both wheels are measured for abs, but I'm not so shure that that signal is fed in the ecu for that purpose. There is a signal from the abs unit to the ecu, but I think it is speed only. The newer ecu like in cali 1400 might be more smart.

Marketing:

The ECU also includes the ATC system to prevent sliding: this system controls ignition advance and injection to cut torque delivery whenever a sudden loss of grip is detected so as to help the rider to remain in control under extreme, unexpected conditions. The system can be deactivated, just like ABS.
Paul

beetle

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »
Hey, I'm only human. :D

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Traction Control: Which Models Have It?
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »
It is interesting that a MAP for the ECU could control traction. I would have thought it would need to be a bit more sophisticated than that and at least be able to compare the rotation of the two wheels and adjust the speed of the rear wheel to match the speed of the front wheel.
The ecu often is part of the TCS system on modern vehicles, especially since part of the TCS system response to loss of traction might be to reduce engine output, by reducing fueling or timing, or on throttle by wire vehicles by literally reducing throttle opening.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Vasco DG

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
The California 1400's use the 7SM ECU which is considerably more sophisticated than the W5AM. On the Calis and the other 'Prillas that have TC it is triggered/controlled by discrepancies between the rotational speeds of the two wheels. This is why you need to re-calibrate the system after a tyre change.

The V7-II also has TC but I don't know how that works or if it is programmed into a version of the MUI3G controller or has its own separate 'Brain'.

The Stelvio's system is really pretty crude, essentially it's just a spark retardation mode I believe. Norges don't, as far as I know, have TC yet.

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
Hey, I'm only human. :D

All of my heroes are falling  :( ;D

Dusty

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 07:31:08 AM »

Dusty

The local Guzzi dealer that went out of business had a salesman who pointed at the oil cooler on a Norge and told the potential customer that it was water cooled. I had to correct him. He eventually went back to another dealer.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 08:41:05 AM »
I have had my Norge 8V for over three years now but I don't think it a traction control. However last Saturday it got into the 60s and on a curve I cleaned the outer edge of the sole of my boot with pavement. ;D
GliderJiohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »
The local Guzzi dealer that went out of business had a salesman who pointed at the oil cooler on a Norge and told the potential customer that it was water cooled. I had to correct him. He eventually went back to another dealer.

:D :( :D :( :D :( :D :(

Dusty

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 04:27:56 PM »
The California 1400's use the 7SM ECU which is considerably more sophisticated than the W5AM. On the Calis and the other 'Prillas that have TC it is triggered/controlled by discrepancies between the rotational speeds of the two wheels. This is why you need to re-calibrate the system after a tyre change.

The V7-II also has TC but I don't know how that works or if it is programmed into a version of the MUI3G controller or has its own separate 'Brain'.

The Stelvio's system is really pretty crude, essentially it's just a spark retardation mode I believe. Norges don't, as far as I know, have TC yet.

Pete

Did not know that about the V7-II.  A 40 hp bike with TC?  Is there a punchline to that joke?
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
Did not know that about the V7-II.  A 40 hp bike with TC?  Is there a punchline to that joke?

yeah...

Here ya go...  There are a few in here:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=72375.0

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Vasco DG

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 12:21:12 AM »

If you ride on slippery surfaces and all it takes is a few lines of code? Why not? The 'Semi-RBW' system used on the single TB smallblocks makes TC easy so why not incorporate it? System detects discrepancy in speed between wheels. ECU shuts throttle valve. When equilibrium is restored throttle valve opens again. And how long does this take? Microseconds. And what does it cost? Nothing!

Luddites! Jeez!

Pete

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 07:01:21 AM »
If you ride on slippery surfaces and all it takes is a few lines of code? Why not? The 'Semi-RBW' system used on the single TB smallblocks makes TC easy so why not incorporate it? System detects discrepancy in speed between wheels. ECU shuts throttle valve. When equilibrium is restored throttle valve opens again. And how long does this take? Microseconds. And what does it cost? Nothing!

Luddites! Jeez!

Pete

WAIT - OH SHYTE - are we back to thinking it's a RBW SYSTEM AGAIN???

I thought we determined the throttle was directly controlled by the cables now?

???

As for TC - I agree. Hit a slick spot, ride in the rain etc. you never know if you might need it and if you're going to engineer/build for ABS anyway, it costs nothing.

I know, I should just go take mine apart, but I've not had the need.... can you see the throttle plate with the air cleaner element removed? Maybe I can just pull the element and take a peak, open the hand throttle with the key off and see if anything moves. That would tell us right?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 07:40:04 AM »

Luddites! Jeez!

Relax, Pete.  It was a joke. 

That the Norge does not have TC (or multi-mode throttle control, or electronic suspension, or cruise control), however, is not a joke; that model is falling behind the competition.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 08:10:58 AM »
Quote from youcanrunnaked:
That the Norge does not have TC (or multi-mode throttle control, or electronic suspension, or cruise control), however, is not a joke; that model is falling behind the competition.

I tend to agree, at least from 2014 on, even if the rest of the bike was left alone. On the other hand the new Kaw Coni 14 does not have much of that stuff either. It and the Norge are priced at the lower end when it comes to sport tourers so it is kind of nice to have a choice.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 09:26:33 AM »

Luddites! Jeez!

Pete

+1
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here