Author Topic: Stelvio AUX lamp fuses, or lack thereof from the factory  (Read 3625 times)

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
Stelvio AUX lamp fuses, or lack thereof from the factory
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:37:53 AM »
Guzzi didn't fuse the aux lamps, they can easily short out due to the Hella lamps used on the NTX. A shorted lamp will blow the 30A main fuse killing the ability to charge the battery. You find this out after the battery goes dead and the bike stops running. Boo.

The plug and play fuse holders can be made by anyone if you follow the instructions here: http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/05/fog-lamp-fuse-holder.html
I have a few sets made up if anyone needs one, with 10A fuses. PM me.

What they look like (the new ones have red wires, but otherwise the same)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:38:19 AM by kirb »

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
Re: Stelvio AUX lamp fuses, or lack thereof from the factory
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »
I looked at this issue first hand.  It looks to me as though the wiring in the lamp housing is improperly insulated.    There is a high temp sleeve over the wire nearest the lamp.  The sleeve is not secured.  The sleeve works its way from the lamp and the wire is exposed to the hot surface of the housing.  The insulation melts and game over.  You short to ground at the lamp housing.

If the sleeve was secured to the wire with high temp RTV or a high temp tie wrap, that may provide the cure.  If it were my bike, I would make sure all the wire in the housing was protected by a high temp sleeve and that sleeve was secure.  I would add the fuse as well.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:37 AM »
The other issue is the lamps themselves and the crash bar they are mounted to. A lot of vibration causes them to eat bulbs, break the lamp mounts, etc. Mine broke the holder that keeps the lamp in place.

I like the light they throw, but replaced them with Rigid LEDs. Still fused.

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
The issue is not with a hot housing melting the wire, it's the fact that the wires rub against that metal housing and wear through the insulation, shorting out on the case.  The light manufacturer specifically says that those wires are supposed to be bunched up in the rubber boot, not in the metal housing.  It's a crappy design made worse by the high frequency vibration felt at the light.  When you ride down the road on a Stelvio NTX it does not seem to vibrate much but reaching down to actually feel the crash bar tells a different story.  Kirb's fuze is a great idea but does not cure the basic problem...bad light design.  His fuze will, however, save one from being stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
I don't have a Selvio, but if you protect the wire from heat and vibration, plus add the fuse, won't this drastically improve the situation?

What is the recommended replacement light, and is it tolerant of the vibration at the same mount point?
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:46:53 PM »
The issue is not with a hot housing melting the wire, it's the fact that the wires rub against that metal housing and wear through the insulation, shorting out on the case.  The light manufacturer specifically says that those wires are supposed to be bunched up in the rubber boot, not in the metal housing.  It's a crappy design made worse by the high frequency vibration felt at the light.  When you ride down the road on a Stelvio NTX it does not seem to vibrate much but reaching down to actually feel the crash bar tells a different story.  Kirb's fuze is a great idea but does not cure the basic problem...bad light design.  His fuze will, however, save one from being stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery.

Peter Y.

Ditto

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
For me, cheap BRIGHT LED lights found on Ebay, or maybe it was Amazon.

WAY more light, and no vibration issues with a couple of years on them now.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »
I don't have a Selvio, but if you protect the wire from heat and vibration, plus add the fuse, won't this drastically improve the situation?

Ditto

As Peter said, the problem is not burning through the protected wire. It's vibration rubbing through the wire.

Put better covering on the wire, use some double-sided tape to stick it down, try to keep it in the rubber boot AND KNOW WHERE THE BIG FUSE IS LOCATED! It's behind the right-side plastic cover.

The stock lamps are made by Hella but aftermarket choices abound that produce much better lighting for the same or less electricity.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND KIRB'S FUSE ASSEMBLIES.

Guzzi should have these lamps on their own dedicated fuse.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here