Author Topic: Matagorda ride report with pix...good therapy for snowbound  (Read 3631 times)

lucydad

Matagorda ride report with pix...good therapy for snowbound
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »
All,

Ok, here is the ride report from yesterday.

Took the route down 59 to 36S cut west on FTM 442, then down Hwy 60 south to Bay City.  Stopped in the City built to survive hurricanes for water and gas and chatted with a HD lady.  Her bike:

Interesting lady:  no helmet, no glasses, no gloves, t-shirt with no bra.  In a hurry to buy some cigarettes, lit one, kept in her mouth and off she rode.  Asked her permission to take pix of bike,  wonder what the braided leather thingy-whip is?  Any ideas?  Another guy when I pulled into the lot commented "Guzzi makes nice bikes".  I replied:  yes they do, big grins all around.

Then down to Matagorda proper, and the public beach:

Nice and easy paved parking, but you need a permit ($) to drive or camp on the beach:

Walked the golden, warm, sunny sands down to the glorious beach:

View to north:

View to Africa, note offshore platforms, and pelicans waving hello:

Put helmet down to stretch a bit

Really nice day

Headed north to Bay City, went North on 35 and stopped at a Shell for water and granola bar (forgot to pack lunch, duh oh).  Then 35 to 36 north towards home in Sugar Land.  Just north of Brazos Bend Park had one of those charming cager events.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/brazos-bend

Guy in black PT cruiser was passing a line of slow cars going south.  I was going northbound at 70.  Looking far, far down the road, and very focused I spotted him.  Flashed my high beam, realized he was going to make me move from my lane, I slowed to 40 and fortunately there was about a 4 foot shoulder and I moved there as he came rushing by filling my lane head on.  Lovely.   Safety tip:  always remember to use as much lane as possible and assume the cagers are out to kill you. 

Rest of ride home was uneventful.   Used these new ear plugs though:

http://earplugsonline.com/

The nearly 200 mile ride resulted in a comfortable and quiet experience.  I have figured out that the in-ear canal plugs push earwax into my canal and result in hearing issues due to blockage.  Not so with these blue mushy guys.  So, that is good.

Got home in time to take a quick nap, run to store to get Ms. LD two dozen roses and card, then to food store to buy salmon and asparagus and I cooked her up a nice dinner with some New Mexico bubbly:

http://www.gruetwinery.com/wines/non-vintage-sparkling-wines/gruet-brut

I think the bicycle riding is helping my core and back strength riding the Guzzi on longer trips.  Better posture also helps.  I was tired after the 200 miles, but felt safe the entire journey.  Best I can tell I can make much longer runs.  V7R turned over 11,200 miles.  Running smooth and fast.

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Matagorda ride report with pix...good therapy for snowbound
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 06:24:44 AM »
Weather on the coast has been grand this week.  Degrading as the week progresses lows in the 40's.  Didn't ride this weekend niece in town for Mardi Gras and too many  turons.  Saw a moron turn the wrong way down a 1-way and cause a head on collision.  

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:34:59 AM »
Right... Lovely, I wanted to go out for a 200 mile ride too, but it's -2... I don't think I would make the 200 mark before I would become one huge slab of frozen bacon.
There is light at end of the tunnel though. I'll be in Austin, Victoria area with my Quota in early June! I can only dream about riding now..  Enjoy the weather!! 👍
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

lucydad

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:44:56 PM »
Dave,

I avoided Galveston due to the Mardi Gras insanity.  Glad I rode last weekend:  temps dropped 30 degrees F this afternoon.  Weekend coming is looking reasonable.  Warm weather prompted some trees to start budding out. So, its "winter" again for a few days. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:44:56 PM »

Offline Mike Crenshaw

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 06:38:05 AM »
Last week in Texas was amazing weather.  We don't get into the '80s during February very often.  LD, thanks for the photos of Matagorda.  I would fish the bay several times a year for about 25 years.  Some very good times there.  And it was better before the CRA took control of the beach and started charging for access.
03 Moto Guzzi California EV
18 BMW R1200RT
75 BMW R90/6 Elwood
80 BMW R80/7
74 Yamaha TY250A
06 Suzuki DR650
68 Triumph TR25W

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 06:45:04 AM »
  Asked her permission to take pix of bike,  wonder what the braided leather thingy-whip is?  Any ideas? 

You see quite a few of those these days hanging from certain sorts of handlebars.

It's a "get back" whip.   As in "Don't f**k with me or you'll get a taste of this".

A signal for me to just look the other way, as I'm dealing with either the ultimate poser or a violent lunatic, and I don't have much to say to either one of those .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here