Author Topic: Probably bad news for flat tappet 8V owners.  (Read 71099 times)

Vasco DG

Re: Probably bad news for flat tappet 8V owners.
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2015, 03:00:13 AM »
Componentry and work involved in the swap. It's in the 'Rollerisation' thread.

Pete

Offline rogershuff

• New Egg
« Reply #151 on: September 14, 2015, 03:34:59 AM »
Got it - thanks.

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2015, 04:46:16 AM »
Cost is important. Test rode a 2007 2-valve and then this 2011 4-valve - a better experience! 11,500 miles. Dealer swears by Motul 7100 oil and says 'Why worry?". I am still thinking. Maybe paying a bit more for a later one would make sense.

It must make sense to hunt down a factory built roller bike. Failing that do a deal which involves the conversion to rollers before riding the bike.
I was involved in a similar conversation  with a certain west country dealer when looking to buy a 1200 8v Sport from them. The guy  swore blind that Motul 7100 was the answer to the problem, but having read all that has been written here would you take the risk?  Other U.K. dealers certainly don't believe the choice  of oil will be sufficient.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:26:34 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2015, 06:23:40 AM »
"Salesmen have a license to lie.."  :evil: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2015, 06:23:40 AM »

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
I'm stuck at home today so made a call to a well established north east dealer about a 2011 34000 mile Norge 8v he had in stock.
I mentioned I was only interested in roller bike and he responded by saying he wasn't sure what tappets the bike had and anyway it was a internet myth about the cams and then said he had only two bikes with problems both with over 30000 mikes on the clock. So according to him it's either a myth or so rare  it wasn't worth worrying about.
Now I've seen the boxes of worn replaced cams at my local dealer who took the time and trouble  to go through  the problem in great depth with me.  So either my eyes are  playing tricks or Mulder and Scully need to get involved with this one.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:48:56 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2015, 07:11:46 AM »
Like I said..  :smiley:

That's why Mark Ethridge is such a bad salesman. I was hanging out at MGC one day when a couple were trying to buy a hydro Cali. He said, "Yeah, I know it's beautiful, but I can't sell it to you." Astonished looks. He said, "It has the trifecta.. cracked triple clamp, single plate clutch, and a hydro engine that hasn't been converted.."
He parted it out.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rogershuff

• New Egg
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2015, 08:09:56 AM »
" I was involved in a similar conversation  with a certain west country dealer when looking to buy a 1200 8v Sport from them. The guy  swore blind that Motul 7100 was the answer to the problem "

That was the same dealer I spoke to last week!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2015, 08:16:03 AM »
" I was involved in a similar conversation  with a certain west country dealer when looking to buy a 1200 8v Sport from them. The guy  swore blind that Motul 7100 was the answer to the problem "

That was the same dealer I spoke to last week!

Oh yeah.. a chemical solution is always the answer to a mechanical problem.  :rolleyes:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2015, 10:31:03 AM »
Sometimes it is.

Napalm   :evil:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2015, 10:39:45 AM »
Oh the joys of trouble free motoring balanced on the knife edge of one particular brand of oil.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

canuguzzi

« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »
I'm stuck at home today so made a call to a well established north east dealer about a 2011 34000 mile Norge 8v he had in stock.
I mentioned I was only interested in roller bike and he responded by saying he wasn't sure what tappets the bike had and anyway it was a internet myth about the cams and then said he had only two bikes with problems both with over 30000 mikes on the clock. So according to him it's either a myth or so rare  it wasn't worth worrying about.
Now I've seen the boxes of worn replaced cams at my local dealer who took the time and trouble  to go through  the problem in great depth with me.  So either my eyes are  playing tricks or Mulder and Scully need to get involved with this one.

Why Yugo salespeople should never sell motorcycles.

He is right on one thing, it is rare. This is because IMHO most owners will sell their flat tappet bikes knowing the problem exists but not say anything about it. Ask MG and they'll probably tell you the same thing, few reports of problems. They are lying or hiding things, they look up records of actual warranty repairs or priblem s actually reported and go with that.

Information talked about in forums do not count.if you fix something more than a small insignificant item, report it to MG directly, just takes an email.

There is a reason why things like startus interrupts go unfixed year after year. Call MG and ask about startus interruptus  and they'll tell you it isn't a problem being reported often.

When you fail to report problems, you're contributing to it remaining a problem.

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
When you fail to report problems, you're contributing to it remaining a problem.

I reported a problem to the Piaggio person in charge of the Stelvio rear suspender recall (when I asked if he could intervene to get parts to my dealer). He was able to get an instant response to the suspender recall, but totally ignored my Aux lamp fuse question/comments/etc. He did comment on my Christmas photo with the Stelvio in it. I tried, but ultimately failed to get that resolved.

AF1 knows of the same fuse issue...as I sell them the fuse kits.

canuguzzi

« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »
Yes, reporting a problem doesn't mean it will get fixed but not reporting it doesn't start a record of liability.

When reporting a problem, always in writing, phone calls are worthless, no one will ever admit to taking the call.

No one expects MG to address every reported problem but it can help when it comes time for larger issues to be addressed. How many times have owners of vehicles experienced problems with a particular model but the maker says they are unaware of a significant number of reports? It is true because the DIYers rarely report an issue to the maker but will post about it in some forum. That is worthless other than to make sure every other DIYer knows about it.

If every flat tappet 8V owner was contacting MG there would probably be a better response to this issue.

MG is not a philanthropy where a small group of craftsmen are toiling to make exclusive motorcycles for connoisseurs.

Pete has done a great service for everyone on this, from describing the problem to detailing the solution and how to implement it. It is only right that everyone who experiences the failure also report back to MG with a demand to recover all labor costs associated with it including any inspections.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2015, 02:38:33 PM »
No probably about it. Its bad news for any flat tappet 8V owner. Better have it looked at. Just started the roller change out today on my late year 2012 with 16K on and no indications of any issues what so ever. This is what I found this morning on the left side. If ya got one better have it looked at or dig in yourself.
Many thanks to Pete for the how to do it posts.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »
I read about delivery problems of the kits in europe, delivery set for week 45.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

canuguzzi

« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2015, 03:07:27 PM »
No probably about it. Its bad news for any flat tappet 8V owner. Better have it looked at. Just started the roller change out today on my late year 2012 with 16K on and no indications of any issues what so ever. This is what I found this morning on the left side. If ya got one better have it looked at or dig in yourself.
Many thanks to Pete for the how to do it posts.

Mind posting the manufacture date? Since you say late 2012 and the serial number range indicates mid 2012 for the change over it might help others validate when the roller change over really happened. Bikes can sit a while in inventory.

It will be helpful to know if any 2013 models also had flat tappets. Manufacture dates might define the change over better than info already posted.

Vasco DG

« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2015, 04:49:37 PM »
I've currently got the full trifecta in my shop waiting for bits, a Griso, a Stelvio and a Norge. All I need is a Sport 1200 and I'll have the quaddie! The poxy Griso has been sitting there since July! Grrrrrrrr.

Pete

PS Paul, I'll grab the map numbers this morning.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:57:00 PM by Vasco DG »

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »
Mind posting the manufacture date? Since you say late 2012 and the serial number range indicates mid 2012 for the change over it might help others validate when the roller change over really happened. Bikes can sit a while in inventory.

It will be helpful to know if any 2013 models also had flat tappets. Manufacture dates might define the change over better than info already posted.
No problem. With the bike apart for the change out it was easy to check the manufacture date. 2-2012 so I am assuming that even though I bought the bike in October of 2012 it was one of those that had been sitting in inventory for several months. Clearly well before the mid year change over that is presently felt to be case. Just luck of the draw for 2012 bikes. It still steams me that bikes were being sold that were destined to fail in far to short a time to be called reasonable but at least the fix is on now. 
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

stomatomoto

« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2015, 01:46:55 AM »
Guys, there's so much stuff in this thread I don't understand. Can I get a tl;dr on this please: 2016 V7 Stone 2, do I need to worry? Should I preemptively do anything now? I have just under 900 miles on it; would it show enough in an inspection to get the ball rolling for a warranty repair, but with enough time to put it back together and continue riding in the mean time (yes, I am attempting to have it both ways here)?

Vasco DG

« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2015, 02:26:01 AM »
Guys, there's so much stuff in this thread I don't understand. Can I get a tl;dr on this please: 2016 V7 Stone 2, do I need to worry? Should I preemptively do anything now? I have just under 900 miles on it; would it show enough in an inspection to get the ball rolling for a warranty repair, but with enough time to put it back together and continue riding in the mean time (yes, I am attempting to have it both ways here)?

ARRRGH!

NO, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY! DONT GET YOUR PANTIES IN A WAD! YOUR BIKE IS A SMALLBLOCK AND NOTHING RELATED TO THIS ISSUE HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR BIKE!

What is the word that rhymes with 'Duck'?

Pete

stomatomoto

« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2015, 02:43:38 AM »
I like that it's pink. Tickles the eyes

Vasco DG

« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2015, 02:51:45 AM »
I like that it's pink. Tickles the eyes

:evil: :thumb: :laugh:

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2015, 06:11:48 AM »

Dude... if you had 8 valves in that thing everybody would want it.   :boozing:
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2015, 11:54:40 AM »
ARRRGH!

NO, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY!

What is the word that rhymes with 'Duck'?

Pete

Hey, Pete - it does say 'New Goose' next to his name! He probably doesn't have the terminologies memorized yet; by the time his status is upgraded, he'll know them...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

canuguzzi

« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2015, 12:37:19 PM »
He's new to MG. Even those who have had MGs for a while say 4 valve when referring to the 8V bikes as they mean 4 valves per side. Then you get a bike like the V7 and all bets are off for the newcomer.

A V65 has a very different displacement depending if it is a V65 Honda or MG V65. New to MG folks can understandably be confused at times.

I woke up screaming and then realized it was Pete yelling from down under, in pink of all things. :grin:

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »
Dude... if you had 8 valves in that thing everybody would want it.   :boozing:

Count me in.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2015, 03:13:52 PM »
so is my Eldo OK ----

checking to see what color Pete uses next......

Mark

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2015, 03:18:48 PM »
so is my Eldo OK ----

checking to see what color Pete uses next......

Mark

Chrome Bores!!  No, it's NOT OK!    :cool:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

stomatomoto

« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2015, 04:50:03 PM »
Now all I want to know is how to get 8 valves on my motor, and then go through the rollerballering thing people are talking about here.  :whip2: Frankenguzzi will happen!

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2015, 05:58:50 PM »
then go through the rollerballering thing

"Johnathon, Jonathon, Johnathon"  :evil:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here