Author Topic: LED headlights?  (Read 15336 times)

Bert Remington

Re: LED headlights?
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »
Norge so not H4 in reflector lense but some Norge riders might be watching.

Rather similar to Diploman, I have 5000K (Bright White) HID H3 low beam for nighttime illumination and 3000K (Golden Yellow) LED H1 high beam for daytime visibility.  The OPT7 25W HID H3 has an excellent pattern in the projector lenses and doesn't endanger them like a 35W or 55W HID would.  The SNGL was the highest quality H1 LED that would fit through the opening and in the projector lenses has a wide beam spread that is useless at night.  I had to slit the low beam weatherboots to fit the longer H3s but the high beam weatherboots fit the H1s properly.

The OPT7 AC HIDs only take 3-4 seconds for full intensity but are not recommended for those needing both low and high beams functional for illumination -- stick with your incandescents.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2019, 06:48:43 AM »
Duh.   If I had clicked on the small image to see the big one, I'd have seen that.

I've got my turn signals mounted on those (original, painted ones, but, same shape).
I'd like the other bit that holds the aux lights as shown in the other pic on that link:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:49:17 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2019, 07:03:21 AM »
I've ridden the AeroLario with LED head and taillights for a week of short trips, now. It's my daily driver, and does short trips a lot. The volt meter says the state of charge of the battery is much better. I used to have to occasionally charge it when doing this. I'm a happy camper.  :thumb: Thanks for all the info..gotta love WG..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2019, 02:29:08 AM »
Hello Folks I wanted to report back, I received my native H4R  led headlight bulb a couple of days ago, and first tried it in my eldo, and no joy. My eldo has a Cibie  headlight reflector, and the plug on the back,would hit my fuses. It was actually about 1/4" longer than the halogen H4 bulb I had in there, and it was enough, that even with a  shallow plug where the wires exit the side, it still hit.
 Next I tried in my Lemans IV square headlight, and the pointed nose of the Native,would hit the little center deflector inside the headlight housing, keeping the bulb from seating properly on the flange.
 Next ,I tried it in my son's RZ 350 with the huge round headlight, and the fat ,finned part would not clear the headlight opening. I suppose with some trimming with a dremel, it could be made to fit, but I didnt want to modify the bike, and put the silverstar back in.
  Lastly I tried it in the autopal headlight in my Cal II, and it fit perfect, without any mods.  I just got back from a night ride to test it, and The light output is excellent, and the pattern on the road in both high beam and low is very good. So far , I am happy with it.
 Did you guys know this bulb has a tiny fan about the diameter of a nickel, to blow air through the fins? It seems to work almost silently, only time will tell how long it will last.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2019, 02:29:08 AM »

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2019, 07:27:35 AM »
I'm using these in the Convert turn signals now. Super bright!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BXT4WRN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the Antline LED emitters for my taillight and turn signal lights. Hecho en China, but cheap enough we'll see how long they last. The taillight LED's are easily twice as bright as the incandescent bulbs. Happy there!
However, the turn signal LED's are having an issue. When I replace just one bulb on a side with a LED, the turn signals blink normally. When I replace both bulbs on a side with the LED's, the turn signal lamp on the dash comes on, and the emitters just glow dimly, not blinking. What's up with that? Is it because the LED's don't draw enough amps to trip the flasher? Can I add a resister to the circuit or maybe install a different flasher? Head scratcher for sure... For now I am running the LED's on the front with the incandescent bulbs on the back.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »
I got the Antline LED emitters for my taillight and turn signal lights. Hecho en China, but cheap enough we'll see how long they last. The taillight LED's are easily twice as bright as the incandescent bulbs. Happy there!
However, the turn signal LED's are having an issue. When I replace just one bulb on a side with a LED, the turn signals blink normally. When I replace both bulbs on a side with the LED's, the turn signal lamp on the dash comes on, and the emitters just glow dimly, not blinking. What's up with that? Is it because the LED's don't draw enough amps to trip the flasher? Can I add a resister to the circuit or maybe install a different flasher? Head scratcher for sure... For now I am running the LED's on the front with the incandescent bulbs on the back.
Larry

If you go all LED in the signals, you will need resistors or a different flasher. I used a "no load" flasher from Greg Bender.
Charlie

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »
I've ridden the AeroLario with LED head and taillights for a week of short trips, now. It's my daily driver, and does short trips a lot. The volt meter says the state of charge of the battery is much better. I used to have to occasionally charge it when doing this. I'm a happy camper.  :thumb: Thanks for all the info..gotta love WG..
Hi Chuck - sorry if I missed it...can you please provide the link to the headlight you bought?  I'm following your lead here (have tail lights coming)... Thanks!

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2019, 08:55:09 AM »
If you go all LED in the signals, you will need resistors or a different flasher. I used a "no load" flasher from Greg Bender.
Thank you! Sent Greg an email.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2019, 09:15:52 AM »
Hi Chuck - sorry if I missed it...can you please provide the link to the headlight you bought?  I'm following your lead here (have tail lights coming)... Thanks!

This is the one he bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C1AOSVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »
Hello Folks I wanted to report back, I received my native H4R  led headlight bulb a couple of days ago, and first tried it in my eldo, and no joy. My eldo has a Cibie  headlight reflector, and the plug on the back,would hit my fuses. It was actually about 1/4" longer than the halogen H4 bulb I had in there, and it was enough, that even with a  shallow plug where the wires exit the side, it still hit.
 Next I tried in my Lemans IV square headlight, and the pointed nose of the Native,would hit the little center deflector inside the headlight housing, keeping the bulb from seating properly on the flange.
 Next ,I tried it in my son's RZ 350 with the huge round headlight, and the fat ,finned part would not clear the headlight opening. I suppose with some trimming with a dremel, it could be made to fit, but I didnt want to modify the bike, and put the silverstar back in.
  Lastly I tried it in the autopal headlight in my Cal II, and it fit perfect, without any mods.  I just got back from a night ride to test it, and The light output is excellent, and the pattern on the road in both high beam and low is very good. So far , I am happy with it.
 Did you guys know this bulb has a tiny fan about the diameter of a nickel, to blow air through the fins? It seems to work almost silently, only time will tell how long it will last.
Rick.

I'm surprised you had issues - judging from this photo the bulbs are the same length:

Charlie

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2019, 09:44:41 AM »
The Safego bulb (as linked) is longer at the back end than a conventional H4 - I have one in my LM2 and it would not fit as the plug was touching the inside/back of the light housing, to clarify my bike has a round but non Guzzi headlight (actually from a Ducati Monster) in an LM1 fairing.

It's only 3mm longer but to get it to work I bent over the tags and used push-on terminals to the bulb (with heatshrink) to make an adaptor to the H4 plug.

The light is definitely brighter but I've not tried it at night yet so can't comment on quality of illumination, one thing though is that if it is wired for either/or high/low beam then when on high (and low goes off) there isn't much near illumination so I have modified the switch so that both high & low are on together when high beam selected, and this gives much more light but I'm not sure how the bulb will cope heat-wise if both on for a long time? 
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
haven't read the posts but I did install some Chinese H4 LED replacements on both Guzzis.  They work.  Don't seem appreciable brighter that the 55 wt H4.  They are "whiter" draw a little less current (which was more of a goal).

I also put one of the Cycle Gear LEDs on my Suzuki, the 100 wt bulb was starting the craze and brown the lens.  It seems pretty bright I guess.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2019, 01:21:45 PM »
I'm surprised you had issues - judging from this photo the bulbs are the same length:

Yep, Charlie, I referred back to that dimensional drawing and thought the same thing, that they should be the same length, but mine was just a bit longer . If i didnt already have it all assembled in the Cal II I would shoot a photo comparing the two. The difference is not alot, but just enough to hit on the fuses, using the Cibie reflector. I bet if I put the autopal in the eldo, it would work.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2019, 03:16:03 PM »
Yep, Charlie, I referred back to that dimensional drawing and thought the same thing, that they should be the same length, but mine was just a bit longer . If i didnt already have it all assembled in the Cal II I would shoot a photo comparing the two. The difference is not alot, but just enough to hit on the fuses, using the Cibie reflector. I bet if I put the autopal in the eldo, it would work.
Rick.

You could do as "Dukedesmo" did and bend the tabs and use individual terminals.
Charlie

Offline BobA

• New Egg
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2019, 06:57:05 PM »
After reading the LED posts I am wondering if anyone has any experience with upgrading the light system on a MGX?

Thanks in advance   BobA
BobA

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2019, 01:49:51 AM »
I think such  LED headlights as in the picture above will kill themselves from heat, there is not enough cooling. Where a halogen put out it's heat in the beam, the led does not like heat at all, and over time will fail and/or has little brightness left. Most aftermarket LED replacement have cooling at the back outside the reflector. With or without fan. A led will do 10-15 watts in heat.   
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2019, 01:57:25 AM »
One thing to be careful off is the law in your area. I see a couple of fellow NZers here, LED headlamp bulbs are illegal here unless the whole headlamp unit is replaced with one designed for LEDs.
You cannot just put an LED bulb in a incandescent lamp. The issue is headlamp lens and reflectors are designed to work with the light emitting part in a certain area, LEDs often move that point, meaning the light pattern is wrong.

From the VIRM:

reasons for rejecting:

Modifications
18. A headlamp is retrofitted with a type of light source other than that specified by the vehicle manufacturer or the headlamp manufacturer (eg a headlamp designed for a halogen bulb is fitted with any other type of light source such as an HID or LED bulb, or any other light source such as LED strips or non-OEM angel eyes)

From
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/headlamps#note8
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:02:38 AM by Mr Revhead »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »
I think such  LED headlights as in the picture above will kill themselves from heat, there is not enough cooling. Where a halogen put out it's heat in the beam, the led does not like heat at all, and over time will fail and/or has little brightness left. Most aftermarket LED replacement have cooling at the back outside the reflector. With or without fan. A led will do 10-15 watts in heat.

Heat doesn't seem to be an issue. The finned heat sink and tiny fan seem to cool the LED chips well enough. The glass lens of the headlight is only slightly warm to the touch.
Charlie

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist.  I can't seem to find any H7 led headlight like the Safe-go H4?   I don't want to mess around with ballast and extension wires, I just want to plug it in a go to the party.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2019, 03:44:24 AM »
One thing to be careful off is the law in your area. I see a couple of fellow NZers here, LED headlamp bulbs are illegal here unless the whole headlamp unit is replaced with one designed for LEDs.
You cannot just put an LED bulb in a incandescent lamp. The issue is headlamp lens and reflectors are designed to work with the light emitting part in a certain area, LEDs often move that point, meaning the light pattern is wrong.

From the VIRM:

reasons for rejecting:

Modifications
18. A headlamp is retrofitted with a type of light source other than that specified by the vehicle manufacturer or the headlamp manufacturer (eg a headlamp designed for a halogen bulb is fitted with any other type of light source such as an HID or LED bulb, or any other light source such as LED strips or non-OEM angel eyes)

From
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/headlamps#note8

Didn't know that Rev.  Thanks.  Have been looking at cheap LED bulbs on AliExpress just to try them.  Won't bother then.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Matt Story

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2019, 08:54:27 PM »
Keeping it alive...

Does anyone know of a reflector housing for the Native H4R2 or similar that will fit in the early Tonti bucket?

That can be spoken of with experience relative to the fit?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:56:54 PM by Matt Story »
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport
'02 BMW R1150RT

Flint, MI

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
Keeping it alive...

Does anyone know of a reflector housing for the Native H4R2 or similar that will fit in the early Tonti bucket?

That can be spoken of with experience relative to the fit?

Most any will fit, there's no clearance issues like there is with Loopframe headlights. I had an Autopal in the Convert prior to installing the JW Speaker LED sealed beam and it fit perfectly.
Charlie

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »
I just installed the Safego H4 system in the T. This is a nice bright light but . . .   When I opened the box I found the unit nicely packaged in a block of protective foam, but the three-prong fitting ring was nonetheless bent -- the ring itself slightly twisted and one of the prongs bent 90 degrees. No problem, I thought, and straightened the bent prong with a needle-nose plier. As I did so the ring fell off the base of the lamp. So I slid it back on, oriented so that the LED chip would face down inside the reflector (years ago I mounted a Cibie reflector on my bike, and it worked beautifully with a standard H4 halogen). Put on a couple of dots of superglue to hold the ring f firmly to the base and installed it. Pleased to find the system fit well inside the Emgo shell.

The result was an upside-down beam pattern:  the high beam flooded the bottom of the garage door, the low beam hit the door higher. It showed a clean Z pattern but with the dark quadrant at the lower right of of the field rather than the upper left. So I took it apart, turned the mounting ring 180 degrees so the LED chip faced upwards, and reassembled. Now I get a nice fuzzy oval of light on both high and low beam, but the high beam at least is the high one. And yes, the Cibie reflector/lens assembly is in right-side up. I'm going to leave the Safego system in place for now -- I don't like to ride at night any more and the headlight is just for daytime conspicuity. Still in the market for a reasonably priced LED with a proper low-beam Z-pattern.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:41:05 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2020, 09:09:57 PM »
Not available right now, but I just bought a pair three weeks ago. May become available again:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB4K5F7
Same thing as the now discontinued ADV Monster Native H4R2.

The replacement for the H4R2 is this one: http://stores.advmonster.com/budget-h4-led/ I haven't tried it yet.
Charlie

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2020, 05:59:18 PM »
Not available right now, but I just bought a pair three weeks ago. May become available again:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB4K5F7
Same thing as the now discontinued ADV Monster Native H4R2.

The replacement for the H4R2 is this one: http://stores.advmonster.com/budget-h4-led/ I haven't tried it yet.

I put H4R2 in two bikes a couple of weeks ago. On the BMW R100 I had to file down the fin nearest the mount to fit into the cast Bosch lampholder. It fit fine in the LeMans. The pattern on the LeMans looks good but as has been mentioned before has a dark spot right in the center where the cutoff transitions up to the right. I don't mind it really. The lamp is so much brighter and really helps me to be seen by others. I have looked at it from afar and it does not seem to have glare above the cutoff that oncoming traffic would see.
Not perfect but pretty darn good for the price.
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2020, 06:47:49 AM »
It looks like the budget H4 is out of stock.  Anybody tried these folks:

https://www.headlightexperts.com/h4-hi-lo-dual-beam-led-technology-kit

That's a set of two, so one for the V9 and the other for the V7.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2020, 08:41:46 AM »
It looks like the budget H4 is out of stock.  Anybody tried these folks:

https://www.headlightexperts.com/h4-hi-lo-dual-beam-led-technology-kit

That's a set of two, so one for the V9 and the other for the V7.

Sarah

I doubt those will fit inside the headlight bucket on either bike.

I'm still using the same thing as the Native H4R2, but at a lower price:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNN6P9W
Charlie

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2020, 09:06:55 AM »
We've installed a few of these headlight assemblies in other motorcycles and they work well.  I don't know about fitment for Moto Guzzi.

https://www.sunpie.co/collections/harley-lights/products/7-led-headlight-for-harley-davidson-motorcycle-chrome-projector-daymaker-hid-led-light-bulb-jeep-wrangler-led-headlamp

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2020, 09:30:22 AM »
I've gotten the same thing as Charlie, but cheaper on ebay. Very pleased with the light output - it's BRIGHT!

I did have to modify the retaining clip - this light doesn't have the deep well around the mounting area like normal H4s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Motorcycle-H4-9003-LED-Hi-Lo-Beam-Headlight-Bulb-6000LM-6500K-360-Light-35W/224007774109?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2020, 10:00:12 AM »
I've gotten the same thing as Charlie, but cheaper on ebay. Very pleased with the light output - it's BRIGHT!

I did have to modify the retaining clip - this light doesn't have the deep well around the mounting area like normal H4s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Motorcycle-H4-9003-LED-Hi-Lo-Beam-Headlight-Bulb-6000LM-6500K-360-Light-35W/224007774109?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Not quite the same, that one's black!  :wink: Looks the same otherwise, but I'd rather have silver.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here