Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I’ve been to Billy Joel’s place on Long Island twice.  You can walk in and look around at many of his bikes.  He’s a huge Guzzi fan.  The first time we spend the day with Alex, his curator/mechanic.  All is bikes are registered and road worthy.  He has a California Vintage (last of the Tonti Cali’s) with custom made Eldorado tins.  Tank, fenders, side covers, etc.  The tank is much larger front to back to mount on the Tonti frame.  Lots of custom fabrication, but he can afford it.  So it’s a “modern” 1100cc bike with classic Loopframe bodywork.  If Guzzi would make that, I’d be first in line.  Oh, and I’ve had two, police Eldo’s and currently have a police Ambo.  Best looking Guzzi’s hands down!
General Discussion / Breva on ADVRider
« Last post by nick949 on Today at 07:10:31 AM »
This is a link to my regular, monthly column on the AdventureRider forum.
This month's submission is about my new-to-me Breva 1100 and the reactions it seems to inspire.

https://www.advrider.com/going-backwards-to-the-breva/

Nick

How about a V9 Roamer

Suitable for short legged people, lightweight, will get up and go if you ask it and looks as cool as heck

But I might be biased  :evil: :evil:

I sort of went the same route, from touting old tech to wanting fuel injection etc. Then I went to change the spark plugs and adjust the valves on my son's MT-07 and learned that am more than willing to live with carbs for easy overall service access. Fuel injection is nice when it works, but man if you have to rip into it on some bikes, like the mentioned Yamaha, the CBF1000, Ducati Multistrada and more.
It really depends on what you want in a bike.

I grew up teaching myself about mechanics on classic cars, hated the modern stuff. Then I put myself through college as a mechanic and starting working in the industry. Nearly 3 decades later (most of which spent writing repair manuals, the last ~7 years writing motorcycle repair manuals) - I DON'T HAVE ANY TIME/INTEREST in my life for an antique bike.

I understand them, I get the appeal, I don't like most things about them especially many of the maintenance aspects.

I have a young family and I spend my time with them sneaking off for rides when I can. I don't want to be spending time in the garage a second more than I have to so oil changes and valve adjustments are fine with me, but that's it man. I want to turn the key and go.

Even my Cali Jackal which was a fantastic bike in a lot of ways was too fiddly. I'm not even looking for spoke wheels or a sump I have to drop when changing the oil.

Now some comment on the "feel" of a big block, and there's a difference. Though it almost sounded like some were not just talking about the motor but meant the perception of build quality from the "feel" of the components. I poo poo that. It's a real PERCEPTION sometimes, but that doesn't make it a reality.

Now I'm just gonna mention it one more time because I really think it's the unicorn in the discussion IF you're looking for a modern Guzzi that FEELS like a big block and has relatively neutral upright riding position - THE FIRST GENERATION V9. The motor FELT every bit like my big blocks (which coming off owning a V7 for a while at that point literally shocked me). I didn't expect to like it, never mind fall in love with it.

If I were looking for what you said you were, THAT would be MY first stop (because of the all other modern amenities). Worst case scenario I swap on a v7 tank eventually for the looks.

Other thoughts mentioned in this thread - V100 Cali - NOPE - no way it will be small enough even if they make it.

Triumph Bobber - not a bad one, considered it myself. Motor feel will be different but I'm sure it's a fine bike.

That new RE - damn that's actually a pretty fine looking bike - it's not for me though, and offers nothing that I can't get in a Guzzi V9 or V7 (not to mention doesn't offer some of the same advantages I find in the Guzzi).

But that's all about ME - my perspectives on a bike. You just gotta find yours. If you have the time for it and don't mind spending double, then yeah maybe an antique original with greatly upgraded running gear might be the answer for you - it sure as hell isn't for me.

Good luck...

I'm sticking with my modern smallblocks for the foreseeable future:

I like how the thread is evolving...

Q: Is there a more modern midsize Guzzi styled like V700/Ambo/Eldo?
N: No. Buy the original.

:grin: :thumb:
General Discussion / Re: V85 valve adjustment gone wrong…
« Last post by kballowe on Today at 05:17:41 AM »
I witnessed 1st startup on an 80 cu in Harley, after a rebuild.

They had accidentally left a red shop towel in the front cylinder.

It spit it out the exhaust, in shreds.  That bike is still running, ten years later.

General Discussion / Re: Beeswax oil for zippers
« Last post by ray bear on Today at 05:09:50 AM »
coconut oil is the best, and if your tapping a thread into stainless steel it is magic eliminates chatter and galling, I gave up buying expensive cutting fluids a long time ago .
General Discussion / Re: Price Check: 2008 Nevada 17,600 miles
« Last post by faffi on Today at 05:00:26 AM »
The Virago 1100, more so than the 750, are excellent bikes in every way save for their looks and flaccid shock absorbers.
General Discussion / Re: Beeswax oil for zippers
« Last post by guzziart on Today at 04:51:02 AM »
I use Chapstick on difficult zippers, it's cheap and readily available.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here