Author Topic: Cruise control "resume" on V85TT?  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Clifton

• No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.
  • Gosling
Cruise control "resume" on V85TT?
« on: March 20, 2022, 03:19:33 PM »
Greetings, with a new 21 V85TT I'm trying to determine if I'm doing something incorrectly with the cruise control, or if it could be faulty? I understand the operation of activating and setting by pressing which functions fine, but toggling the control up/down doesn't seem to do anything; I've tried quick taps as well as long holds but no resume, and no incremental increase or decrease in speed. Or does the cruise not even have this feature?
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Cruise control "resume" on V85TT?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 03:57:31 PM »
Greetings, with a new 21 V85TT I'm trying to determine if I'm doing something incorrectly with the cruise control, or if it could be faulty? I understand the operation of activating and setting by pressing which functions fine, but toggling the control up/down doesn't seem to do anything; I've tried quick taps as well as long holds but no resume, and no incremental increase or decrease in speed. Or does the cruise not even have this feature?
Yes it does.
Once you have armed the CC by holding the button down for 3 seconds while riding, the light on the panel will flash intermittently, the CC is then ready for activation.
To activate the CC, tap the button once for about a second and the intermittent light will stay solid green and your bike will hold speed.
If you wish to increase/decrease set speed while riding, simply tap the button up/down and the set speed will adjust in 2-3 km/hr increments.
If you cancel the CC with the brake or clutch then wish to resume CC, just hold the button up for about 3 seconds and your bike will resume the speed that it was doing when you cancelled.

Don’t be tempted to cancel your CC by forcing the twist grip past it’s natural “off” point. I have had a few apart and can tell you that the plastic stop that the drum comes to rest on, is none too stout and forcing the twist grip against that stop will damage it.

Offline Clifton

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 04:07:13 PM »
OK this helps Huzo, the resume and incremental up/down speed button doesn't work on mine. I saw somewhere that after installing heated grips something might have to be done for the cruise control but in my case cruise activates and sets ok. Thank you for the tip to not force close the throttle to cancel cruise!

Added: With 700 miles on it now it'll be going back for its initial service soon so I'll let the dealer sort it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 04:08:44 PM by Clifton »
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 05:07:08 PM »
OK this helps Huzo, the resume and incremental up/down speed button doesn't work on mine. I saw somewhere that after installing heated grips something might have to be done for the cruise control but in my case cruise activates and sets ok. Thank you for the tip to not force close the throttle to cancel cruise!

Added: With 700 miles on it now it'll be going back for its initial service soon so I'll let the dealer sort it.
Good idea... :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 05:07:08 PM »

Offline j.davis

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 04:33:04 AM »
When you are using the cruise controle, the short presses up/down will register on the speedo (small speed indicator under the main speed indicator), so you can see your adjustment.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 06:24:29 AM »
You can also cancel the CC by pressing and holding in the button for a few seconds.  The blinking light on the dash when it’s not engaged is a PITA.  Makes me think I still have a turn signal on. 
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Clifton

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 08:38:38 AM »
When you are using the cruise controle, the short presses up/down will register on the speedo (small speed indicator under the main speed indicator), so you can see your adjustment.

OK that's how it should work. Unfortunately pressing up/down on mine doesn't change speed or the cruise speed indicator number. Or resume speed after braking for instance. It's like the "press" function works on the switch but the "toggle up/down" does not. This reminds me though I need to call and schedule the 1,000 mile service!

Yeah I wouldn't want to leave cc on but not set on this bike.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 11:20:46 AM »

I was considering heated grips and during the discussion my dealer said that yes, a throttle re-calibration is needed. Not doing so could be the cause of your CC issues.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Clifton

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 01:54:27 PM »
OK yeah I'd seen somewhere that something needed recalibrated after installing heated grips, which they installed, so hopefully this is all it is.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 03:21:21 PM »
I was considering heated grips and during the discussion my dealer said that yes, a throttle re-calibration is needed. Not doing so could be the cause of your CC issues.
That’s a two minute job.

Online brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 05:10:17 PM »
I had this problem with a Centenario purchased at LaMoto in Virginia in December.  Took it to the service department and they updated some software to resolve the issue.  No problems in 2K miles now...
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Offline Clifton

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2022, 08:25:39 PM »
Thanks guys I'm glad to hear it's (probably) a simple update.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline bnucci24

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 07:50:58 AM »
OK that's how it should work. Unfortunately pressing up/down on mine doesn't change speed or the cruise speed indicator number. Or resume speed after braking for instance. It's like the "press" function works on the switch but the "toggle up/down" does not. This reminds me though I need to call and schedule the 1,000 mile service!

Yeah I wouldn't want to leave cc on but not set on this bike.

Hi from New Jersey
My CC on the 21 V85TT is doing the same thing. Sets ok but cant change speed up and down. Stays on ok though. What happened- Worked fine, got my initial service at ~1000 miles and dealer told me they had to update the ECU, I wired my GPS to the 12 volts at the left side connector for the fog lights by simply taking the 12 volts there (three wire, two are power and one is relay activator I believe) now the CC is as you said, two changes made to the bike. I had heated grips installed when I picked up the bike new and things were fine until the ECU update and my 12 volt power borrow. The GPS is Tom so the wires go to the TomTom mount which converts 12 to 5 VDC I believe. I will unplug the TomTom mount and try again but I really doubt thats it though the bike won't expect any current there without the fog relay which doesn't exist, being triggered.
Dealer told me "you ride it and we work on it" they are very nice but pretty adamant that a new bike is not for tinkering by this home mechanic.
Will update once I know. Any advice appreciated.. Also the thread on heated grips causing CC issues was an issue with it not staying activated while it remained on, like when you hit the brakes kind of de activation. I did not do any extensive search so not sure. Its going to the dealer once I pull my add on work. Thanks guys!

Offline GregM

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2022, 03:31:09 PM »
For what it is worth (I have no solutions to provide yet), my 2021 V85TT is doing the same thing. Cruise control works, but can't be changed up or down by using the toggle like it did before. Yes, this feature did work before, but since I had the first service done recently at the dealer, I believe they re-flashed the ECU and now it doesn't work. Another odd thing that is happening since the service is that the check engine light rapidly flashes when I reach 5500 RPM every time, and then stays on until I shut the bike off. Upon restart, the check engine light is out, and will stay out until I hit 5500 RPM, and then stay on until the bike is shut down. I have no solutions yet, but suspect it has something to do with the re-flash that was done. I am hoping to get the bike back in very soon for them to check it out and will provide updates.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2022, 04:04:12 PM »
Are all V85's ride by wire?
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2022, 05:07:54 PM »

Offline Clifton

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2022, 08:36:22 PM »
Since I started this I thought I should update. I took mine in for the first service a few weeks ago and mentioned the issue with cruise not changing up and down nor resuming. They programed the throttle and it's worked fine since.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline bnucci24

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2022, 10:45:44 PM »
Since I started this I thought I should update. I took mine in for the first service a few weeks ago and mentioned the issue with cruise not changing up and down nor resuming. They programed the throttle and it's worked fine since.
Its wonderful that you post your solution. I spoke to the dealer today and the front desk guy had not heard of this behavior yet. I will update once mine is resolved and maybe the dealers will start to calibrate/whatever the throttles as part of the ECU updates. Thank you

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2022, 02:55:09 AM »
Its wonderful that you post your solution. I spoke to the dealer today and the front desk guy had not heard of this behavior yet. I will update once mine is resolved and maybe the dealers will start to calibrate/whatever the throttles as part of the ECU updates. Thank you
If you dig around in the on board menu, you’ll see that it can be done by you.
I’d need to revise where it is, but once you find it, you’ll see “throttle recalibration” and you just ride along at a steady 30 km/hr for 10 seconds and the prompt will come up on the dashboard…”calibration complete”.
Then turn the key off and it’s done.
The TGPS reset needs Guzzidiag and has to be done in two stages..
“Handle reset”
“Throttle reset”
All can be done by the owner.

I’m sure there’ll be numerous You Tube videos of the process.

Offline D. Brent Miller

• New Egg
  • Writer & Photographer, but mostly retired
    • D. Brent Miller
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2022, 08:20:01 AM »

I had the same problem, and yesterday, the problem was resolved after several discussions and one last "try this." Here is the scenario:
1. Cruise control would activate and set, but no adjustments to accelerate or descelerate, or resume function.
2. Had the dealer reset the throttle control software. Still not working.
3. Must be the switch. We'll submit a warranty claim.
4. MG District Rep said: "Before we submit the claim, try this." Okay. Doesn't seem like that might fix it, but let's try.
5. Dealer connected the computer to the ECU under the seat. Found the menu for "Select KM" and "Select Miles." We selected Miles and pressed "enter."
6. Took the bike for a test ride, and everything worked!!! Apparently, the ECU was set on Kilometers not Miles, and that simple setting interrupted the full use of the cruise control. This is different than the Instrument panel Mode switch for selecting language and display of kilometers or miles, and can only be changed by connecting the computer to the ECU.

Thatsa Italian engineering! LOL

The more I ride this bike, the more I love it.   :bike-037:
D. Brent Miller
MGNOC #22110

www.DBrentMiller.co m

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2022, 12:18:56 PM »
Son of a freaking Mongoose….!
Congratulations though.. :bow: :thumb:

Offline Clifton

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2022, 04:25:50 PM »
That's interesting, Brent. I wonder if having the computer ECM set to kilometers while the instruments are set to miles causes this? Obviously cruise works in all the rest of the countries where kilometers are the norm. Anyway glad it's working as it should now, it sure is nice to have.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline bnucci24

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2022, 12:39:08 PM »
That's interesting, Brent. I wonder if having the computer ECM set to kilometers while the instruments are set to miles causes this? Obviously cruise works in all the rest of the countries where kilometers are the norm. Anyway glad it's working as it should now, it sure is nice to have.
Here in New Jersey, local dealer is nice but has not heard such a thing and so wants to talk to Piaggio before taking any action. I did mention parts of the discussion on the forum and suggested a throttle cal perhaps but it sounds like they won't look at it unless they ask Piaggio first. This is my second call on this issue to them and I will have to start tracking who I spoke with when, my prior request ended with me saying I would try pulling the battery cable to reset and never followed up by anyone, and I haven't pulled the battery. I don't think they know what a throttle calibration actually entails or have performed one yet. Maybe these bikes just don't break often enough and they do more PM stuff than repairs. Also they sell a lot of Indians so not sure which they see more.
I will put my bike in KM and try again as it sounds like the values have to match. That means if you guys put yours in KM and it stops working then me putting it the other way would work. SO therefore anyone can test the theory.. Best to all and thanks for the great info

UPdate. MotoGuzzi tech support says if the bike was at the dealer, the dealer could call in and Tech Rep at MG could talk them through any issues. Quick phone answer from their NY office. IMpressive! Will give dealer time then use back channels.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 12:46:56 PM by bnucci24 »

Offline Blue Thunder

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2022, 11:56:14 AM »
Have exact the same issue. Took it to the dealer for service last Saturday and he told me the ECU was updated as well.
First impression was that the bike felt a lot more agile on the gas. But that can be because of setting the valves.

Second thing I noticed was that the up/down of the CC didn't work anymore.
Called the dealer and he has asked MG. But had no clear answer yet.

Calibration didn't solve the issue. So I will need to go to the dealer again next Saturday and connect it to the computer.
Will keep U posted about the result.

Positive thing about it is that I'm just a glitch away from a nice bikers region when I'm at the dealer. I can put some extra kms on it afterwards, carving the woods :)

Offline Clifton

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2022, 12:16:49 PM »
I think any time I take my bike at the dealer for service, just to be sure as soon as I leave I'll engage cruise and make sure the accel and decel functions work.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline Raven

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2022, 12:14:38 PM »
Same thing happened to me after my first service.   Just to confirm when you say computer this is the one at dealer and not your own. 

Thanks
1992 BMW K75rt
1980 Guzzi SP1000

Offline j.davis

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2022, 06:27:43 AM »
Dealer computer linked to MG in Italy.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2022, 09:28:45 AM »
Good information.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline SSGG Geezer

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2022, 11:05:44 AM »
For what it is worth (I have no solutions to provide yet), my 2021 V85TT is doing the same thing. Cruise control works, but can't be changed up or down by using the toggle like it did before. Yes, this feature did work before, but since I had the first service done recently at the dealer, I believe they re-flashed the ECU and now it doesn't work. Another odd thing that is happening since the service is that the check engine light rapidly flashes when I reach 5500 RPM every time, and then stays on until I shut the bike off. Upon restart, the check engine light is out, and will stay out until I hit 5500 RPM, and then stay on until the bike is shut down. I have no solutions yet, but suspect it has something to do with the re-flash that was done. I am hoping to get the bike back in very soon for them to check it out and will provide updates.

Mine was fine until after my first service also. (21 V85TT Travel.) Kind of annoying, but I currently just tap the brake or pull the clutch in a bit and readjust with the throttle. I will have it fixed but it is a three hour ride to the dealer and work interferes.  Otherwise, I am still in love.

Offline Blue Thunder

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2022, 05:01:20 AM »
UPDATE as promised!
Today I went to the dealer for an update.
Apparently the Italians forgot to put some things in the update before.

I noticed severall things after the update I got earlier:
- Bad pickup during warm weather 30°C and up
- Less difference between Sport and Rain mode feeling
- HIGH mileage 3,8L /100km mixed use but it felt like I lost 20 horsepower
- Cruise up/down set/resume not working anymore
- Engine running not smooth
- very unsteady on the gas

Today I got a new update and all those things are solved. It runs even better than before the earlier update now.
It seems that the engine was running realy lean to the point it was not healthy anymore. Also fixed by the update.

I'm happy again  :azn:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here