Author Topic: Rideapart on MG's Future - and On Rubbish Models  (Read 23445 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Rideapart on MG's Future - and On Rubbish Models
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
The entire �character� question has little to do with one�s bike and everything to do with the rider. We like what makes us feel good about ourselves. Certain choices help us to emulate folks we admire and be the person we wish others to see. Does anybody really think that George Patton needed a pair of Colt S.A. Army revolvers and jodhpurs to effectively command the Seventh Army? Take image out of the equation and there would probably be a much smaller collection of motorcycles to choose from in this world...

I almost completely disagree with you.

It doesn't have to mean a damn thing to anyone else.

Hell, MOST of what I said wasn't about aesthetics anyway.

I would argue that in most  cases it has to do as much with the bike as the rider, in specifically how the bike matches the rider's desires/expectations. I cited examples from performance and maintenance to vibration and suspension, but it could equally include comfort, ergonomics, braking, etc.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »
Modern?  The SV/DL has been in production since 1999.  It's been club racing since 1999.  it's cheap, reliable and fun.  It's a modern classic.  The only drawback is that most are still on road and not collectable like an Italian bike that's been the barn for years due to mechanical malady.  Nothing against a Guzzi but you won't catch an SV with any small block, perhaps not on my Greenie. 

After writing most of what follows I remembered that on my last SV ride I passed a 2000 V11 Sport (which is what I interpret to be a 'Greenie') on a well known twisty road,  with my wife on the back of the SV (its actually not too bad with a small passenger)  Regardless, I think a good rider on a  V11 Sport could keep up with an SV650 of the same year on a twisty road, 10 more horsepower helps.  The Guzzi rider would have to be well in tune with his mount because the Suzuki handing is less intimidating and more secure. 

The same question in relation to any small block Guzzi is a non-starter, the small block bikes are not in the same handling or performance class.  A 900 air cooled Ducati will keep up, no question, and is a bit more stable when pushed, but also a bit more physical effort.

My SV is a great compliment to my Ducatis and Guzzis.  It's different enough to be interesting in its own way,  and has character that comes from optimizing 'old tech' (carbs on mine, no ABS etc) and showing in that way that modern, seamless performance does not actually require complexity.  I like it for that reason, and enjoy riding it when I'm in the mood for simplicity and honesty over 'caps on' drama and flash.  I also appreciate that it has a durable steel gas tank and the very elegant frame design used from '99 - '02.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:49:09 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »

We like what makes us feel good about ourselves. Certain choices help us to emulate folks we admire and be the person we wish others to see.

I agree completely with that.   Despite many people saying "I Don't Care What Other People Think!", their behavior, their clothes, their speech, and even their motorcycles betrays them every minute that they DO care what other people think.    The "persona" that they present to the world is too consistent for it just to be coincidence that so many things are directed the same way.

I've met a few people that honestly didn't care what other people thought of them, but there was always a degree of personal hygiene, rancid behavior, and awful speech that didn't encourage me to stay around them too long ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2018, 02:37:11 PM »
Don't think I'd ever agree that on the STREET a bike makes a difference as to how or what may be "quicker" or anything else in the twisties.
It's ALWAYS  the rider's skill-on the road.  And, usually on the track, too.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2018, 02:37:11 PM »

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »
Does anybody really think that George Patton needed a pair of Colt S.A. Army revolvers and jodhpurs to effectively command the Seventh Army?

Sheepdog, I can tell you are a Patton fan.  Well, to further confuse this discussion of character, I will say I do not think Patton had a pair of Colt SA Army revolvers at the time he commanded the Seventh Army.  Think it was one Colt SA .45, and one S&W "Registered Magnum" DA .357, both with ivory grips.  Could be wrong about that.

Patton was also known to openly carry a Colt Woodsman .22 target automatic in a special holster.    Go figure.

Patton did invade Sicily with the Seventh Army, which is part of Italy, where Moto Guzzis are made.  So this all ties together. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »
curious about your Trophy.  what model year and how many miles until the rotors went?

10,000 miles. 2014.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
10,000 miles. 2014.

Mine's a 2014 and got 9500 miles ... I'll keep an eye on them!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2018, 11:04:19 PM »
  it was one Colt SA .45, and one S&W "Registered Magnum" DA .357, both with ivory grips.  Could be wrong about that.

Yep.  One Colt SAA and one S&W DA.  Ivory grips.  Pearl handles are for pimps, and such, you know?!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:07:04 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »
Hoowee! I'd give a hunnerd bux for that Colt. (Guzzi content)  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here