Author Topic: Steering Head Torque  (Read 217 times)

Online Moparnut72

• Guzzi Hero
Steering Head Torque
« on: August 01, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »
I have been in the state of mind that I may not be able to ride my Audace too much longer I am 76 and the bike is getting harder to manage at slow speeds. I have attributed that to the weight of the bike and the 32* headstock angle. I have also noticed that my riding in curves is a bit notchy. I had the bike on the lift to change the rear tire just before I went to Broken Arrow. I thought the steering seemed a bit tight but then was not the time to further investigate.

When I got back home I put the bike back up on the lift to check it out further. Still seemed pretty stiff. So I got out the service manual to check disassembly procedures. I got it apart and decided I would setup the steering the way Harley recommends, which is that the wheel should just fall away from being centered. So that is what I did. While in the process I saw that the manual says to tighten the lower ring nut to 37 ft/lbs. Holy Moly! No wonder the steering was a bit tight. Or at least that is what I think. Anyway I set it up the Harley way. What a difference, whole new bike. Steady at slow speeds, no more snaking when coming to a stop. High speed turns are now stable with no more mid-turn corrections. I will be able to ride this bike for several more years or I at least hope to be riding for a lot longer.

So in conclusion, is this figure correct? Mis-print, supposed to be this way or did Luigi have two Grappas at lunch. I didn't check torque on dis-assembly as I have no means of using a torque wrench with a spanner but it was pretty tight. I set it up for the fall away and again have no way to check torque on re-adustment. What do you guys think?
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2020 Triumph Bonneville T120
2019 V7lll Special

Offline moto-uno

• Guzzi Hero
Re: Steering Head Torque
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 05:15:57 PM »
  Over the decades (yes decades ) that I wrenched on HD's , your method is very close , We set them a tad tighter , we had to give the
front wheel a light tap to get it to fall away . I know they're different bearing assemblies , but they're similar weights and steering
angles etc . so I'm sticking with that method . Maybe they do this to offset the fact that they find it so awful to put grease on  many other places :) . Peter

Online Moparnut72

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 05:40:04 PM »
I was surprised to find plenty of grease there as we all know Luigi has an aversion to the stuff.   :evil:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2020 Triumph Bonneville T120
2019 V7lll Special

Offline guzzisteve

• Guzzi Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 05:47:30 PM »
The 1st time I read that in 14 I thought it was false, someone added a 7 or a 3 and no one proof read the book that knows anything.
I do as you do but nudge it to drop at 15* one way or the other. Just like a bicycle, not rocket science.
BMW's are set at a torque, mostly all bull in my eye's.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 05:47:30 PM »

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride , Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here