Author Topic: I need to lose 35 pounds body weight???  (Read 2887 times)

bobrebos

I need to lose 35 pounds body weight???
« on: October 24, 2021, 11:10:04 PM »
I’m 64 years old, 6’ tall and weigh 223.8   I feel sluggish, slow, tired!  Dr says I should be 185 with my frame size so I’m going to try and lose 38 pounds.

I’m going to try and do it by walking and stuffing less crap (count my calories) in my mouth.  I know it’s going to take a lifestyle change to succeed.

I was thinking of rewarding myself with a new to me (used lighter weight bike) V7, v85, or something similar when I make my weight.  Or something similar as a reward. 

Anybody else here successfully done a weight reduction?  Thanks for any help.  I start on my journey today!  223.8 pounds. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 12:20:25 AM by bobrebos »

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I need to lose 35 pounds body weight???
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 11:53:50 PM »
A couple years ago I started a strict Keto diet and lost 28 lbs in 3 months. I kept to the diet and kept most of the weight off until the - thing hit. I gained most of the weight back but am going back on Keto again. Sticking to the diet was difficult at times and dropping most all carbs, sweet fruit etc is tough. But being able to eat all the bacon and eggs I wanted was easy, just no toast or hash browns! 

There is a good web site called The Diet Doctor that covers all things Keto.

Bet of luck to you, this weight thing is a struggle
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 12:23:31 AM »
The following worked for me but with no science behind it. Say in your case you want to lose 35 pounds. A pound a fortnight should be easily achieved.
What I did was on a calendar wrote down what my goal weight should be at the first of each month. I believed I could achieve that and only weighed myself on the first of each month. I made small changes about what I ate and ensured I was active. That involved a bit of walking but mainly things like always taking stairs, parking away from an entrance and such. If I did not achieve my goal I knew it would take a bit more the next month. Nearly every month I met my target.

Steve   

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 12:41:10 AM »
I’m 64 years old, 6’ tall and weigh 223.8   I feel sluggish, slow, tired!  Dr says I should be 185 with my frame size so I’m going to try and lose 38 pounds.

I’m going to try and do it by walking and stuffing less crap (count my calories) in my mouth.  I know it’s going to take a lifestyle change to succeed.

I was thinking of rewarding myself with a new to me (used lighter weight bike) V7, v85, or something similar when I make my weight.  Or something similar as a reward. 

Anybody else here successfully done a weight reduction?  Thanks for any help.  I start on my journey today!  223.8 pounds.

Good for you it's almost certainly totally achievable by diet alone. When I worked physically on aircraft for a living I never weighed more than 92kg,ever. Then I got an office job and without even being really aware of it I went to your weight of 104kg. When the doctor weighed me at my yearly check up I was in total shock. I simple cut all the junk food out of my diet and cut down on alcohol and monitored my weight and have been 20kg lighter for the last 20 years.

Ciao   
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 12:43:05 AM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 12:41:10 AM »

Offline Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 01:24:14 AM »
I've done it by following three rules:

1. No alcohol
2. Less than 1000 calorie intake per day
3. Walk uphill one mile every other day.

You can lose 3 lbs. per week doing this.
'73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, '16 Moto Guzzi Stornello, '14 Harley Ultra Classic, '12 Harley Wide Glide, '97 Honda XR600R

bobrebos

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 01:26:26 AM »
Quote from: Air-Cooled link=topic=112781.msg1785357#msg1785357 :thumb: date=1635143054

1. No alcohol

:thumb:

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 02:19:31 AM »

1. No alcohol

I weighed 247, dropped 67 lbs in 90 days. I did not exercise as I have bad joints. I took in less than 2000 calories every day, and cheated on that once a week. Never twice. I broke my leg and put 20 lbs back on during a 4 month healing. Over the years I added another 15 lbs to get back up to 215. I had a major heart attack (not a suggestion) a few months ago and have dropped back to 181 as of this morning. I weigh myself 4 to 5 times a day so the overeating is always on my mind.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 02:20:47 AM by wymple »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 04:45:01 AM »
 At 6' tall and #225 I would not consider you overweight, but perhaps under-active. I am 52 5'11" and #245 overweight for sure, would love to be #225 again! I may have a bay window but I can still keep up with the youngsters! dont always believe the what the charts say, listen to what your body is telling you. a few simple lifestyle changes could make all the difference.
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline rustygman

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 04:55:51 AM »
My advice would be to keep to something sustainable. All the diets work to a degree but go back to normal eating and the weight comes back on so take the steady approach.

Best way is keep it simple.

Cut out or reduce sugar - it seems impossible but it doesn't take long for your tastebuds to adapt.
Cut out refined products - bread, pasta, flour, rice etc should be brown not white. Refined products raise your blood sugar and soon enough you will be hungry again. Wholemeal food doesn't do that to you.
Booze - keep it to a minimum.
Keep the over fatty food low - yea, have some cheese/meat, whatever, but don't go mad.

It's not about depriving yourself, there is plenty of good natural food to be had and there is no need to be hungry. Don't worry about falling off the wagon from time to time. It happens.

I often get a hard time from people for refusing certain foodstuffs and not drinking like I used to. Always makes me laugh when an overweight pal with blood pressure and pre-diabetes gives me advice that I have got it all wrong. I don't see eating rubbish food as a pleasure anymore, it's more like a form of self abuse.

Of course we could all drop dead at any time but the benefits of eating well and doing a bit of exercise give a very good return in my experience.

Back on a Guzzi again. 1100i Cali.

bobrebos

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 06:25:41 AM »
I should add…I quit drinking alcohol many years ago (look at my handle name backwards) and quit smoking many years ago.  Can’t quit eating because I have to stay alive but need to cut way back.  I feel like crap because of this weight!  My journey starts today! 

Offline twowings

• Gosling
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 06:31:44 AM »
I once lost 145 lbs. of ugly fat in a single day by getting a divorce...  :thewife:
Team Corse dal Delerium all'Oblivion
Moto Guzzi - 100 Anni Di Autentica Passione

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 06:39:40 AM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 07:08:49 AM »
I lost 115# in a year and a half when I was 22-24. at the time it seemed easy.

Now I need to lose 50 to be in decent healthy shape, and when I think about what it took in my 20's it seems too daunting. I was eating like a bird and exercising 10-15hrs a week. I also didnt drink alcohol at that time.  In my 40's it's going to be brutal.

You have a leg up with the sobriety, you can't loose any weight while drinking alcohol.

Good luck Bob!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:02:01 AM by Mayor_of_BBQ »
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

bobrebos

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 07:09:18 AM »
 :thumb: :thumb:
I once lost 145 lbs. of ugly fat in a single day by getting a divorce...  :thewife:

Betcha that was expensive!  Lol.   :thumb:

Offline dave1068

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 07:14:20 AM »
Ill add my , .02.  I lost 28lbs a year ago on the adkins dirt. Bacon for breakfast, hamburger patties, chicken breasts, steak, etc all with no bread, fruit or chocolate.

Bread, fruit and chocolate are my weaknesses and i eat few veggie others than red/orange peppers. Did that with daily walk and bicycle rides if possible,

Went from 6'2 226lbs to 198. Ive gained some back but at 6'2 I try to stay around 210.

Youll notice it in your pants (waist) in a few weeks

Good luck!

Dave
-2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt travel

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 07:15:12 AM »

1. No alcohol

I have watched two people do this and it works. In one case it was 40 flights of stairs up and down every day which is easier if you have to deal with winter snow.

Pete

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 07:28:37 AM »
Wrestling coach used to tell us DON'T EAT and you'll loose weight.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2021, 07:46:30 AM »
When i was recovering from my back infection I went on a strict anti-inflammatory diet.  What made it work for me was making meals and then dividing them into containers so I had specific calorie information per meal.  I would make up a months worth of meals on a weekend, label them, put in the deep freeze and eat when hungry instead of forcing myself to only eat at certain times.  I allowed for some snacks of almonds, or walnuts, and fruit, but never exceeded 1200 calories.  I couldn't do cardio but did mild strength training and stretching.  Then slowly adding walking to the routine.

I got down to 175 lbs and felt good. 

Then I started traveling for work again and started eating for convenience instead of nutrition.  Then the shut down happened and I used snacking to keep alert.  I now weigh the most I have ever weighed in my life.  I'm sure some of it is stress eating because of these crazy times. 

Diets work, but lifestyle changes work longer. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2021, 08:02:10 AM »
Learn to cook and eat what you want,quit fast and processed food,ride a bike,even the electric ones can give a good workout in those hills.If you haven’t tried one rent one for a day.When we were in Alaska we rode 40 miles and had about 25% battery power left and a great workout.Skip restaurant lunches,just eat out as a special treat,not routine.Lift weights,muscle metabolizes calories better than fat.I do all this stuff and am 6 1 180 and can carry my wife’s bird food ,even if I can’t pick up The Stelvio.See the fitter you at Cedar Vale,go Packers!

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 08:06:38 AM »

I consider this ^^^ to be a yo-yo diet for me.  I always gain the weight back in a little while...

My wife decided she needed to lose stubborn weight to help stave off potential health issues in future.  We (I) cook everything from scratch, no processed foods, no soda, plenty of water.  Typical natural fats, proteins, carbs, vegetables, fruit-  a widely varied diet. We rarely eat out.  No formal diet or method beyond not eating too much of what she was already eating.  She started weighing & journaling weight every day, eating smaller portions and striving to exercise every day.  Some walking or other vigorous effort.  She was doing an hour a day for a while, now less.  She's lost nearly 30lbs in the last 12-18 months.  Winner winner chicken dinner! 

I should do the same. But I enjoy cooking. so now working to cook less to compensate for her eating less & me eating more.... 

Habit and routine go a long ways towards enduring results.  Good luck finding something that works for you, Bob.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2021, 08:20:09 AM »
Hugely helpful site:   https://www.calorieking.com/us/en/

Another hugely helpful site:   https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-calories-per-day

Eat less to lose weight, exercise to get fit.

As others have said:

1. Cook from scratch.
2. Cut out processed foods as much as possible.
3. Don't eat anything with added sugar and especially avoid corn syrup.
4. READ LABELS!
5. Easy on the booze.
6. Shop around the perimeter of the supermarket; that's where all the healthful stuff is.
7. A daily food diary with everything you put in your mouth is helpful at the beginning.
    It's shocking how many calories we eat when we're not paying attention!

It'll be a lifestyle change - not a temporary diet.

Good Luck!

-Stretch

1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

bobrebos

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 08:29:02 AM »
Learn to cook and eat what you want, :thumb:quit fast and processed food,ride a bike,even the electric ones can give a good workout in those hills.If you haven’t tried one rent one for a day.When we were in Alaska we rode 40 miles and had about 25% battery power left and a great workout.Skip restaurant lunches,just eat out as a special treat,not routine.Lift weights,muscle metabolizes calories better than fat.I do all this stuff and am 6 1 180 and can carry my wife’s bird food ,even if I can’t pick up The Stelvio.See the fitter you at Cedar Vale,go Packers!

:thumb:

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2021, 08:51:30 AM »
A good gage to go by is this.
You must have a negative 3600 calories from your intake or by burning, for 1 pound of weight loss.
Also the human body will loose appropriately 60 calories per hour sleeping therefore you would burn approximately 1440 calories in a 24 hour period by doing nothing but breathing. Now just figure in your intake for a 24 hour period and do the math.

Dan

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2021, 09:02:07 AM »
6' 233.8 as of last time I weighed last week. My high at one point was 275. At one point I dropped to 229.8 through weight watchers but gained most of it back after we quit. I find for me cutting out bread and starches works best along with exercise, rowing machine and free weights. Set little goals like 10 lb increments.

I had a work acquaintance that lost a lot of weight by fasting one day a week.

Other than that I drink too much whiskey/whisky and way too much coffee. Hardly ever drink beer or wine anymore.

Good luck on you efforts and I agree you should reward yourself when you reach the goal.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:02:34 AM by Joliet Jim »
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 09:14:09 AM »
 I just remembered this anecdote from years ago....enjoy!:

The Mensa Diet
Finding himself hot and overweight at an Air Force base during World War II, Jerry Salny decided he could shed pounds by drinking scotch and soda. Here’s his reasoning:

It takes 1 calorie of heat to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1° Celsius.
A glass holds about 200 cc of scotch, soda, and ice. Its temperature is 0° Celsius.
As he drinks the scotch and soda, his body must supply enough heat to raise 200 grams to body temperature, or 37°C.
That’s 200 grams × 37°C, or 7,400 calories.
“Since all the calorie books show scotch as having 100 calories per ounce, and none at all for the soda, we should be able to drink scotch and soda all day and lose weight like mad.”
“This has been tried,” Salny reported, “and although the experimenter hasn’t lost any weight in the process, he doesn’t worry about it much anymore.”

Why doesn’t it work?
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2021, 09:15:21 AM »
At 6’4” I was 320+ at my heaviest, enough to survive maybe a year in an re-education camp. I quit eating what I wanted and ate mostly roots and berries with beans and vegetables. A year later I was 215 and it’s harder to keep on weight.
No processed food, no sugar or white flour did it. I ate what ‘food’ eats. Keep moving.It’s a worthwhile project.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
Cut out the junk, convert as much as possible to "heart healthy",  watch the portions and in between snacks.  When starting out a food diary can be enlightening. 

Since my triple bypass 1 month ago I have lost 15 lbs.  I have about 10 to go. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2021, 09:39:28 AM »
 The hardest part is making up your mind to do it and by that I mean sticking to your commitment. The first few days and weeks and months are the hardest. The cravings can be powerful. Your body will be going thru changes that at first may seem uncomfortable, but learn to embrace it. One's mindset needs to change. Food can not be looked upon as entertainment, comfort or a sport as some people think it is. Forget the scales. It can be a reminder of failure, and success on the scales can be encouraging but it is not the final and most important measure.

There are a lot of diets that work and finding one that works for you is important. One's health at the start must be taken into account- diabetes, anemia, cancer, cardio-pulmonary etc. Physical and mental activity are not to be overlooked. Do things that hold your interest and give your life meaning. Stay out of the kitchen and dining room! Your subconscious will play a number on you.  "Hey - here we are- aren't we supposed to be eating? I am going to send a little hunger your way so I get my way"

Don't fall for the old saw of going back to eating regular. That is what got most into trouble in the first place. Embrace the new regular.

Be happy and joyful for, and in, this new segment of your life. It will be great!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:42:07 AM by wavedog »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :thumb: Me too...
Charlie

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2021, 09:53:25 AM »
253 to 215 in 11 months.  I've allowed myself to stay here at 215 since March but I think I'm going to get down to 200 over the winter.  We'll see where it goes from there.

Take your time!  If the weight comes off slowly that means you are doing the right things and eating right things.
Drink the water!  I think the main difference between when I was losing the weight and now, while I'm maintaining it, has been my water intake.
Focus on mobility exercising and stretching first.  Weights/cardio are great but you have to be able to move without hurting to do them.
I did the blood work before I started and that was probably a good thing.  I added D3-K2 and DHEA as a result of the test.
Eat more at home, buy the less processed and more natural stuff, and you don't have to give up the booze but you have to account for its calories.  There's a lot of them!
Ride often and get outside as much as possible!  2-3 miles of walking a night is always a good thing.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 03:32:45 PM by Dilliw »
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here