Author Topic: Is this startus interruptus? Breva 1100  (Read 3017 times)

Doppelgaenger

Is this startus interruptus? Breva 1100
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:37:01 PM »
Hi all,

So the Breva has twice come close to refusing to start while I was away from home. After a trip to Pittsburgh for 5 days, I came back and the bike now refuses to start.

What is happening is that when I try and start the bike, I get a loud click followed by some rapid clicking.

The first time this happened, I cycled the key twice and then it started.
The second time, the display would die and all lights would go out on the dash and the bike refused to start at all. Luckily I tightened down the negative contact on the battery (which looks badly sulphated) and it started and got me home.

Now the third time, the battery is showing 11.2V on the dash. I pulled both battery terminals and cleaned the negative side thoroughly with a steel brush but the bike only clunks and clicks after. The dash dies when it tries to start the bike

Is this just a dead battery with no amps or is it startus interruptus? I get the impression that SI means that the bike just doesn't do anything, I haven't been able to find a good description of what the exact symptoms are though, which is why I'm posting

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
Re: Is this startus interruptus? Breva 1100
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »
Do you have the bike on a battery tender? If not put it on one The Breva that I have will use up the juice just sitting there.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »
I don't have one, but I can always jump the bike from the car if need be. The bike sits outside unfortunately so I don't have a way to run a tender

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »
It certainly sounds like the battery is not holding a charge.

And to some extent THAT is part of Startus Interruptus. I.E. SI occurs because the voltage on the starting circuit drops too low to pull in the relay.

However in this case the rapid clicking sounds like the relay or a solenoid trying to close but there isn't enough power.

Start with the battery.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »
Sounds like a dud battery to me.

I would replace the battery, and then do the startus interruptus modification as a precaution to future issues.

redrider

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »
I hope you do not have the car engine running when jump starting. Doing so will fry your regulator.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 05:11:43 PM »
Is this just a dead battery with no amps

Yes.

Or a poor connection.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
If you do replace the battery don't go for a low amp cheapo. I did the SI repair on my 07 but to no effect. I put in a better battery and haven't had a problem since.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

canuguzzi

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 11:37:37 PM »
Apply the fix, in a few minutes you'll have your answer. As for the battery, once the fix is in, if you have slow crank, no crank and the battery is questionable, put a known good one on, then too you'll have the answer in a few minutes.

Reading all the analysis and guesses takes longer than it takes to apply the fix.

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 05:28:31 AM »
Anyone have a good picture tutorial that shows how to do it? I get a bit lost between the different topics discussing it with lots of text that hide the actual DIY

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »
Anyone have a good picture tutorial that shows how to do it? I get a bit lost between the different topics discussing it with lots of text that hide the actual DIY

No one has yet done a complete step-by-step photo essay.

MPH sells a plug and play kit:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=48127.0

And I took a couple of photos and described a DIY solution, but didn't really take the time to write a full procedure (sorry, that seemed too much like my day job):

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=43725.0

The keys are in Post #40 and #42:

1. Remove seat and right side cover.

Basically all you have to do is remove that right side cover (1 allen head bolt and the push fastener that goes in the grommet toward the front...be careful as there's also a tab that goes under the tank, so you have to gently angle is outward at the bottom and you pull/push the plastic pin out of the grommet).

2. Locate the Starter Relay.

There are a bunch of relays just inboard of that cover, a little behind the tank, a little in front and to the right of the battery. By wire color I THINK identified (in addition to the starter relay) the Main Injection Relay, the Auxiliary Injection Relay, the Bank Angle Sensor, and the Light Relay). There were also 2 small 2-pin connectors I haven't figured out yet. One is a dead end (Blue and O/B) while the other is looped (also Blue and O/B).

Here's the starter relay:

If you're the slightest bit uncertain that you've got the correct relay - unplug it and then try to start the bike - if the starter won't engage/bike won't crank you've got the right one.

3. Expose the wiring for the relay and cut the YELLOW WIRE leaving yourself room to attach a new wire to the relay connector.

I peeled back the UBER STICKY OEM electrical tape to expose about 2 inches of the Starter Relay harness and cut the Yellow wire most of that way back from the relay to give me something to work with.
Sealed the hot end of the Yellow wire with liquid electrical tape and then actual tape after that dried.

CAREFULLY cut and peel back the sticky electrical tape until you have enough harness exposed with which to work. Cut the YELLOW wire. The end that disappears into the harness just wrap tightly with electrical tape and tuck away. Attach the end of the Yellow wire that goes into the relay connector to the fused line that you run to the battery. Tape it all, tuck it all and return all the relays to the blades and you're good to go!

Here's the starter relay harness exposed so that I could cut the yellow wire

4. Fabricate a fused adaptor that will run from the relay connector to the battery terminal.

I Used a simple off the shelf inline fuse-holder and installed it between a ring terminal for the battery and the relay side of that Yellow wire. Wrapped that rascal with electrical tape and snaked it back to the battery.

5. Reinstall the relays paying special care to put the bank angle sensor on the retaining post with the correct side up.

Put all the relays back in place (making sure the Bank Angle Sensor was correctly oriented with the side that said UPPER or something like that facing upwards).

Maybe I'll go back and add this to the FIRST post in that thread so it is all in one easy-to-find place.

Or maybe, better yet, I'll start a new thread JUST CALLED STARTUS INTERRUPTUS so it is more easily searchable!

Hope that helps.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here