Author Topic: Help: 2004 Breva 750 engine dies at stop.  (Read 2206 times)

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
Help: 2004 Breva 750 engine dies at stop.
« on: July 08, 2022, 09:24:58 PM »
Hi experts,

2004, Moto Guzzi Breva 750IE, ~20k miles:

About 2 weeks back, I was near end of about an hours drive stopped at the red signal, clutch pressed in, in first gear, waiting -- when the engine suddenly went dead/stopped.

I tried to re-start the engine, but could not get the bike to crank.

I pushed the bike to nearby parking lot, tried to crank few times, no luck.

I was about the call towing after 5-10 mins, when it cranked and started ! ( such a relief ! )

I drove around parking lot just to make sure bike was working, when it died again !

I repeated the same, i.e., waited for 5-10 mins, and it cranked and started, after which I was able to drive home.

I have not driven it after this, and have not checked anything yet.

What could be the problem?
This has not happened before.
Could it be bad side stand switch? or it is starting relay/some fuse/something else?

Today, I was able to check that starting relay is makes 'click' sound when start button is pressed.
( I have to re-charge the battery since it is non-operational since my last drive about 2-3 weeks back, so could not get bike to start, it just gave a weak crank ).

- Where to I start ?

( After re-charging the battery, even though it maybe able to start and drive, I want to find and repair the original problem, so that I don't get stranded in the middle of traffic )

Thanks in advance for your help !
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R
2012(?) Grisso 1200 SE <- (thinking of selling)

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Help: 2004 Breva 750 engine dies at stop.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 02:48:03 AM »
First, fix the battery. You can't do any reliable fault finding without a good battery. Have yours load-tested & recharged, or replaced.  It could well be your problem.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 03:36:17 AM »
Bat tree..

Takes a charge but not holding it…slowly draining while riding until no go..i had a bike do that. I left the turn signal on, next town over it died. Wait 15 mins and the battery recovered just enough to start, but several miles later, konk

Unless it’s the charging system not doing it’s job, in which case I’ve heard of people getting home from a rally by stopping at walwart every few hours and exchanging the now dead battery with a fresh one…neat trick
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 09:05:56 PM »
The 750 is tough on batteries because there's a parasitic drain, even when the bike is shut off.  Most late model cars and bikes have this, but the Breva and V7 were ahead of their time in getting this fault early on.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 09:05:56 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 09:16:07 PM »
I think this is the schematic.
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2004_750_Breva.gif
Learn how to hot wire the starter solenoid Brown yellow wire to the hot terminal of the solenoid then at least you should be able to spin the motor over.
Brevas have always been prone to Startus Interrupts caused by a weak feed to the start relay but I have no clue why it stopped while running, perhaps a failure of the RPM sensor dropped out the Main Injection relay, I often advocate connecting a small lamp to that as a troubleshooting aid
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 09:38:25 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 10:25:10 PM »
First, fix the battery. You can't do any reliable fault finding without a good battery. Have yours load-tested & recharged, or replaced.  It could well be your problem.

Update:

My DIY load testing is a pass on the battery, which I am not surprised since I know the battery is only about a year old.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 10:25:59 PM »
Bat tree..

Takes a charge but not holding it…slowly draining while riding until no go..i had a bike do that. I left the turn signal on, next town over it died. Wait 15 mins and the battery recovered just enough to start, but several miles later, konk

Unless it’s the charging system not doing it’s job, in which case I’ve heard of people getting home from a rally by stopping at walwart every few hours and exchanging the now dead battery with a fresh one…neat trick

( Reposting my reply above )

Update:

My DIY load testing is a pass on the battery, which I am not surprised since I know the battery is only about a year old.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 02:54:47 AM »
The 750 is tough on batteries because there's a parasitic drain, even when the bike is shut off.  Most late model cars and bikes have this, but the Breva and V7 were ahead of their time in getting this fault early on.
[/quote

Even if your battery is fine, take note of this.  As little as 3 weeks and it's dead.

#2.  Side stand switch.  Mine was never problematic until it suddenly died in the middle of nowhere on dusk.  Fortunately remembered previous people on W.G. mentioning this.  Felt underneath and a large rock had taken out the wires.  The one that shorts things out was still attached but with about an inch of exposed copper which had shorted things out.  It can be as little as the sidestand being a bit stiff and dry and allowing to go to ground.  Regular maintenance should include lubing of the sidestand.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline AndrewMk

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 02:38:48 PM »
Hi
I think it would be nice to connect a laptop and check the log. I am using GuzziDiag and a cable to connect to the EPU. If there are no errors, the next step is to check the ignition coil connectors. Sometimes they turn sour and you need to have a special spray.
Goog luck!
----------
88' USSR Verhovina-6   -lost
19' Honda Super Cub 50   - alive
20' Suzuki DR 650 R  - reconstruction
21' MG Breva 750 ie - married
--------------------
Speed is needed, and haste is harmful. Alexander Suvorov.

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 02:06:23 PM »

Ok.

My question is: I had new battery only last summer/season.
I am surprised that battery lasted only one year.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

btw, I have ordered a new battery, and will know after I install if this solves that problem.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 02:08:33 PM »

Also, for parasitic drain, I was thinking about adding a heavy duty switch in series with positive terminal of battery.
When one is done with driving, just turn off that switch, stops all/most parasitic drain.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »
Learn how to hot wire the starter solenoid Brown yellow wire to the hot terminal of the solenoid then at least you should be able to spin the motor over.
Brevas have always been prone to Startus Interrupts caused by a weak feed to the start relay but I have no clue why it stopped while running, perhaps a failure of the RPM sensor dropped out the Main Injection relay, I often advocate connecting a small lamp to that as a troubleshooting aid

Thanks for the schematic diagram. appreciate it.

I have ordered a new battery, will know once I try it.

Meanwhile, I measured voltage levels at the starter relay, and was surprised that the voltage going to starter motor at relay was 8.6 volts once I press the Start switch.
Seems like 8.6 V. is very low voltage. Even at the input terminal of starter relay it shows 8.6V.
So both input and output at the starter relay are low voltage.
This was after I charged the battery overnight.

Interesting..
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 02:35:05 PM »
Sounds like the battery is getting weak. Not the first time that a fairly new battery craps out. Hopefully the battery will solve your problems.

My HD goes through batteries. Morning start just fine. A few hours later, just fine. Rode about 1/2 hour and stopped at a store for about 10 minutes. Cranked, but not as fast as normal but not slow. No start. Called AAA, hooked up jump box and 2 revolutions it was running. Got home. Turned off then on to start the bike, started right up. Waited about 15 minutes, no start again. New battery on order.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 02:49:11 PM »
You have the starterinteruptis issue common to many Guzzis. Google it on this forum and apply the fix before you do anything else.
When I had my Breva I put a battery disconnect on the Negative of my battery to prevent the parasitic loss.
EDIT, I somehow missed Kiwi_Roy's post. He is the expert on this and has helped me out on more than a couple of occasions.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 02:52:27 PM by antmanbee »

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 07:27:35 PM »
Sounds like the battery is getting weak. Not the first time that a fairly new battery craps out. Hopefully the battery will solve your problems.

My HD goes through batteries. Morning start just fine. A few hours later, just fine. Rode about 1/2 hour and stopped at a store for about 10 minutes. Cranked, but not as fast as normal but not slow. No start. Called AAA, hooked up jump box and 2 revolutions it was running. Got home. Turned off then on to start the bike, started right up. Waited about 15 minutes, no start again. New battery on order.

Tom

Yeah, I am hoping new battery will solve the problem.
If it does, and if parasitic loss is the issue, I will seriously consider adding a switch to turn off connection to battery.
Lets see how it goes with new battery ( which I just ordered yesterday )...
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 07:37:49 PM »

When I press the 'start' button, voltage at the output of start relay is about 8.6V., so def. it is weak feed ( as you said above ).

( waiting for the new battery to be delivered..)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:41:48 PM by MotoGuzzi750 »
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 08:22:26 PM »

Question:

Just curious,
What does the Bank Angle sensor do ?
What does the T Head Sensor do ?
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 09:00:35 PM »
Question:

Just curious,
What does the Bank Angle sensor do ?
What does the T Head Sensor do ?

Bank angle sensors are also known as Tip Over sensors, since they are designed to tell the ECM to cut fuel and ignition in the event of a crash/drop. As such they must be installed physically facing the right direction (usually marked UP or something like that).

T head sounds like Temperature Head, so my guess is the cylinder head temperature sensor, an input used by the ECM in fuel mapping to determine if the engine is cold or at operating temperature.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 09:01:12 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 09:18:24 PM »
Bank angle sensors are also known as Tip Over sensors, since they are designed to tell the ECM to cut fuel and ignition in the event of a crash/drop. As such they must be installed physically facing the right direction (usually marked UP or something like that).

T head sounds like Temperature Head, so my guess is the cylinder head temperature sensor, an input used by the ECM in fuel mapping to determine if the engine is cold or at operating temperature.

Ok. thanks.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2022, 06:22:49 AM »
Ok.

My question is: I had new battery only last summer/season.
I am surprised that battery lasted only one year.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

btw, I have ordered a new battery, and will know after I install if this solves that problem.

I’m following the voltage carefully on an new battery myself after experiencing a shot battery after only 2 years on a 2007 Nevada. My previous routine was charging a battery once a month was fine on a big block, just by starting and riding it. That routine stopped working on this small block. I’d regularly roll the bike out and cliclicliclic…nothing. Apparently charging or riding it every 2-3 weeks is what seems to be needed. I use a battery tender brand at 750 milliamperes. Plugging it in at the end of a ride it still goes into charging mode (surprise!) and ups the battery to 13.8 volts, then goes into a resting state. I wouldn’t think it needed a charge after a long ride, but there it is..

I’ve not heard of startus interuptous on the smallblock breva..definitely had it on a cal3

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2022, 12:53:54 PM »

While I am waiting for new battery to be delivered, would like to learn how to hot wire the starter motor, as you have suggested.

I do not have enough understanding on my own on this, so can you teach/guide me on this, if you don't mind?
My understanding is, this is emergency startup procedure to get bike started to get home, right?

Thanks.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2022, 01:06:12 PM »

I’m following the voltage carefully on an new battery myself after experiencing a shot battery after only 2 years on a 2007 Nevada. My previous routine was charging a battery once a month was fine on a big block, just by starting and riding it. That routine stopped working on this small block. I’d regularly roll the bike out and cliclicliclic…nothing. Apparently charging or riding it every 2-3 weeks is what seems to be needed. I use a battery tender brand at 750 milliamperes. Plugging it in at the end of a ride it still goes into charging mode (surprise!) and ups the battery to 13.8 volts, then goes into a resting state. I wouldn’t think it needed a charge after a long ride, but there it is..

I’ve not heard of startus interuptous on the smallblock breva..definitely had it on a cal3

Mine did not even last two seasons, lasted just one season/year.
Wonder how other Moto Guzzi owners are dealing with this issue ?

Surprised that yours would take charge from wall charger after a ride..hm..is the alternator weak on these bikes ? or something else?
Also, I was thinking maybe replacing filament lights with LED lights would decrease loading on battery, which should help in theory.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2022, 12:21:27 AM »
This is the video I used to fix Startus Interuptus.  Made  a huge difference.

I also carry a spare relay with me at all times on the bike.  Some could evidently prove problematical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBfF2-K0KOw&t=155s

edit; this won't help your bike stopping at the lights but makes a hang of a difference getting it going again.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 12:23:01 AM by Muzz »
03 Breva

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2022, 07:45:38 AM »
This is the video I used to fix Startus Interuptus.  Made  a huge difference.

I also carry a spare relay with me at all times on the bike.  Some could evidently prove problematical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBfF2-K0KOw&t=155s

edit; this won't help your bike stopping at the lights but makes a hang of a difference getting it going again.

I had this fix in place already before this problem occurred.

This problem occurred with this fix in place already.
So, there is something more going on in my case.

Thanks for the link though.

If I am going to keep the bike for long, I will seriously consider reducing the load on the new battery. ( which I have ordered and am waiting for delivery )
Will be a interesting/fun experiment to see if that helps in having to replace battery so soon.
My idea is/are:

1. Replace the current hogging halogen head bulbs with LED, maybe leave the turn signal bulbs alone.
2. Have a small Lithium battery from handheld cordless power tools, separately to run the headlights only.

Lets see how it goes..
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2022, 08:16:05 AM »
I had this fix in place already before this problem occurred.

This problem occurred with this fix in place already.
So, there is something more going on in my case.

Thanks for the link though.

If I am going to keep the bike for long, I will seriously consider reducing the load on the new battery. ( which I have ordered and am waiting for delivery )
Will be a interesting/fun experiment to see if that helps in having to replace battery so soon.
My idea is/are:

1. Replace the current hogging halogen head bulbs with LED, maybe leave the turn signal bulbs alone.
2. Have a small Lithium battery from handheld cordless power tools, separately to run the headlights only.

Lets see how it goes..

I'm sorry I haven't been following this thread closely enough and without re-reading it may I ask - WHY do you think you need to reduce load on the battery? Is it undercharging during normal operation? Do you have a bunch of accessories drawing power?

If the charging system is keeping up with load that shouldn't make any difference in battery life.

Battery life can suffer from:

* Discharging from parasitic load after weeks of non-use and being allowed to sulfate/sit in that state
* Exposure to extreme ambient conditions
* Overcharging
* maybe from lot of deep cycling (discharging and charging later)

If it's the first, then just put it on a tender for a day or two each week.

If it's the second, nothing you can do unless you move.

If it's the third, fix it, the regulator/rectifier is broken

If it's the last - well, that's the only time your inquiry MIGHT make sense (assuming the charging system isn't keeping up with the load)
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2022, 10:10:16 PM »
As soon as my '04 Breva 750 returns to the garage, it gets connected to the Battery Tender.  Ditto the other two bikes.  I cannot imagine not getting at least 4 years on a good battery.  BTW, the Breva has the MPH startus interruptus kit.  Works a charm.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2022, 06:52:31 AM »
Sounds like a charging system problem we had on a 2013 v7.New rectifier was the fix.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2022, 07:08:18 AM »
Sounds like a charging system problem we had on a 2013 v7.New rectifier was the fix.

Wasn't the usual problem with the 2013's (and 14's) OVERcharging?

You're not wrong that could kill batteries too.

OP - if you haven't it would be smart to perform a running voltage output check (meter across battery terminals, rev bike into operating range, make sure voltage is 13.something to 14.something range. Some say 15 V is ok sometimes, but that's getting high. 15+ will kill a battery over time.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2022, 05:14:13 PM »
Wasn't the usual problem with the 2013's (and 14's) OVERcharging?

You're not wrong that could kill batteries too.

OP - if you haven't it would be smart to perform a running voltage output check (meter across battery terminals, rev bike into operating range, make sure voltage is 13.something to 14.something range. Some say 15 V is ok sometimes, but that's getting high. 15+ will kill a battery over time.

Good point Kev.  My Breva sits around 14.2-14.4 on a fully charged battery.  I don't ever remember the Brevas having the overcharge problem but it is worth looking at.  If the battery is partly discharged the charging voltage will be a bit less.

I have only used wet cell batteries; I got 7 years out of the two Yuasa ones, and four years and counting out of the Chinese cheapie in it at the moment.  I don't use a tender, but every three weeks put it on my 3.5 amp smart charger and bring it back up.  I think overall it is better for the battery, but that is just my opinion.  The startus interuptus kit had not been fitted with the previous two batteries, so may have got a bit more life if it had been.
03 Breva

Offline MotoGuzzi750

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2022, 02:05:42 PM »
Update:

- New battery has arrived, I charged it overnight and installed it.
- Re-tried with new charged battery, and I hear the same 'click'. :(
- Starter motor does not turn at all, just 'click', 'click'.
- BTW, this is with the direct connection from positive of battery to the starter relay positive terminal ( i.e., the starter interrupt fix in place ).
- Voltage levels at the starter relay is 12.01V.

So, given that the new battery did not turn on starter motor,
- What is the next check that I should do ?
I have double checked that all fuses are good.

1. Someone here said it could be the RPM sensor. Where is located, and how do I confirm if that is good or bad?
2. Since the voltage at the output of starter relay is 12.01V, that means the relay is putting out power to the starter motor, but still the starter motor does not turn. So, I suspect something wrong with starter motor. Which I will try to check next. But I do not know the connections/voltage level/operation of solenoid.
How do I check if the solenoid is working properly?

Thanks.
My Bikes:

2004 Breva 750 IE
2006 Kawasaki ZX12R

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here