Author Topic: Convert battery/ gas tank holder solutions?  (Read 877 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Convert battery/ gas tank holder solutions?
« on: August 05, 2022, 04:42:15 PM »
Hello Folks, my Convert does not have the strap that hold down the battery or gas tank. is the strapthat secures the battery part of the tank hold down at the rear of the tank? Ive reviewed the parts diagrams, and cant really tell how it all fits together.  If you have come up with any good DIY solutions to holding them down, im interested in others ideas.
thanks in advance,
Rick Duarte
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Convert battery/ gas tank holder solutions?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 05:13:10 PM »
Does it look like this? I just came across it in my Honda stuff but it might be a Guzzi part. If it will work I’ll send to you for free.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 05:34:44 PM »
The gas tank strap is short, hooks on back of tank to center of cross frame underneath. Stick your hand under and feel the hook.

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=286&products_id=442

I use a semi tarp strap for battery. But they make one like Foto shows 1/2 of it. It connects to the battery plate bolts. Couldn't find it on MG but they have it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 05:35:36 PM »
Should be a very simple rubber strap with metal ring at each end for the tank. #14-10-26-00.  Here at MGCYCLE:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=286&products_id=442

Battery hold down is going to be different.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 05:35:36 PM »

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 08:19:51 PM »
Thats the exact same strap you show, Foto. Now I feel pretty dumb, that I didnt  "get" how it all fits together!    :azn: Mine is torn at the bottom hole, I could not figgure out how the metal piece goes into the rubber, but now I see that it is split, and can be slipped in from both sides. I really appreciate your offer foto, but  i hate to bother you, with shipping and all that, when I need to put in an order to mg cycle for some other bits,anyway, and its a pretty inexpensive part.
Thanks again, for your generous offer, and , thanks Steve, and Patrick,
 for the helpful info.
Rick Duarte
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 08:23:07 PM by bigbikerrick »

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 06:13:31 PM »
Another option to hold down the battery, especially if you have a smaller AGM type is to use RokStraps.  I use the thinner , commuter type about 3/8 width  and loop them on the sides  of the battery tray where it mounts at the frame with 8mm bolts. The oldest setup  I have so far has been good for close to 10 years.
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 02:48:47 PM »
The Rok straps sounds like a good solution for the battery. I will have to look for some of the correct size.My bike has what I think may be a lawn tractor battery, I plan to install a nice AGM, or Shorai.to save some space.

thank you
Rick.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 03:45:16 PM »
Just my opinion, but I feel it's best to stick with a "big" battery in a Convert. Even if one changes to all LEDs and fits a Valeo type starter, it's still a good idea.
Charlie

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 04:11:19 PM »
Just my opinion, but I feel it's best to stick with a "big" battery in a Convert. Even if one changes to all LEDs and fits a Valeo type starter, it's still a good idea.

+1

But I also encourage the use of a big AGM class battery.  AGM batteries seem to sit at a slightly higher standing voltage than similarly sized flooded cell batteries.  The Guzzi charging system is a 'bootstrap' affair.  You have to put some voltage in in order to get some out.  The  more  you put in, the more you get out.  So, in my experience, an AGM class battery will stimulate the alternator at a lower rpm and produce slightly more output at every rpm.  I once owned a Convert that had trouble keeping up with a good charge.  Always trying to remember to stick it on a trickle charger.  It was a known good flooded battery.  One day I switched it to an AGM for some maintenance reason and the output and storage was like night and day.  No more sticking it on a trickle charger every week or so.  YMMV.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 02:34:50 PM »
Charlie and Pat, your recommendations much appreciated. Probably a Shorai would not be the best choice for the convert. I didnt consider the marginal stock charging system, and low rpm operation of the automatic. I remember with my cal II auto, I always had to put it on the trickle charger to keep it topped off before a ride.

What battery do you guys recommend , that is both a good AGM, and also a "big" battery?

I may as well get the correct battery, before I cobble up a mounting system, using rok straps or other,
Thanks
Rick Duarte

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 03:00:06 PM »
Charlie and Pat, your recommendations much appreciated. Probably a Shorai would not be the best choice for the convert. I didnt consider the marginal stock charging system, and low rpm operation of the automatic. I remember with my cal II auto, I always had to put it on the trickle charger to keep it topped off before a ride.

What battery do you guys recommend , that is both a good AGM, and also a "big" battery?

I may as well get the correct battery, before I cobble up a mounting system, using rok straps or other,
Thanks
Rick Duarte

An ETX30L is my preferred size: https://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX30L-Battery.html

An LED headlight and LED tail/brake light bulbs will conserve a lot of watts. A solid state, adjustable, voltage regulator will help make the Bosch system work it's best. A "bootstrap harness" from Greg Bender will allow use of an LED in the charge warning light.

My Convert has all incandescent bulbs replaced with LEDs, plus LED driving lights, the above battery, v/r and bootstrap harness. It's never needed to be on a charger or maintainer in the last 5 years.   
Charlie

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 05:02:30 PM »
Thank you, Charlie. I appreciate all the information. I plan to set mine up very similar to yours.  You have found good useful solutions to the converts minor shortcomings.
Rick

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 05:38:58 PM »
Thank you, Charlie. I appreciate all the information. I plan to set mine up very similar to yours.  You have found good useful solutions to the converts minor shortcomings.
Rick

I have one of these, stuck between the "dash" mounting bolts, to keep an eye on battery voltage.
https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4219-Motorcycle-Lighting-Accessory/dp/B000GU5WO8
Charlie

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 05:45:51 PM »
Rick Duarte

I have been using this in several bikes.  Most of them have survived a very long time.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Battery-R-Airhead-K-Moto-Guzzi-BAT-12V30-p/bat-12v30.htm

They are getting a bit pricey.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 03:30:30 AM »
Thanks Patrick. That sure is a "beast " of a battery! Yes a bit pricey, but  with that one,I be you dont have to worry about any battery issues for about 5 years.
Rick D.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 06:02:21 AM »
I have one of these, stuck between the "dash" mounting bolts, to keep an eye on battery voltage.
https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4219-Motorcycle-Lighting-Accessory/dp/B000GU5WO8

I've got one of those on my '03 V11 LeMans that was installed by the original owner and I have to say that they work great.  My LeMans sustained a charging system (stator) failure last Spring and I was was immediately alerted/made aware of the failure by the indicator mentioned above.  Luckily, I was close to home and no roadcall was required but without the monitor I definitely would have got myself temporarily stranded.  On the otherhand, when of my riding buds has a a digital gauge he bought off of ebay for about $8.  The gauge is reads out to tenths of a volt, is about the diameter of a nickel and 1" depth with two male spade connectors, it's a few years old now and works fine. The thing is with any of these gauges is the mounting is up to you....make a mounting bracket, drill a small or large hole in the dash to mount, etc.  Anyway, if your bike does not have a charging system indicator light, I advocate the installation of some sort of system monitoring device to possibly prevent you from getting stranded somewhere inconvenient.

Oh, I'm also an advocate of big batteries/the highest capacity AGM thing that fits.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:04:04 AM by guzziart »
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 02:44:03 PM »
Those Kuryakin charge monitors are great. I have one on my eldorado, and its worked flawlessly for years. I have it hooked into my spot light circuit, so I know if the led strip is illuminated, I know my driving lamps are on. Thanks for the link, Charlie, I am ordering one.
Rick.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 03:52:01 PM »
Those Kuryakin charge monitors are great. I have one on my eldorado, and its worked flawlessly for years. I have it hooked into my spot light circuit, so I know if the led strip is illuminated, I know my driving lamps are on. Thanks for the link, Charlie, I am ordering one.
Rick.

I have mine hooked to the "light" switch on the dash of my Convert, and that circuit also supplies power to my driving lights. My first one lasted 5 years - I think it may have gotten water-logged on the way to the Cass BMW Rally Memorial Day weekend. My friend Joseph was riding the Convert at the time and thought the charging system had stopped working.  :laugh:
Charlie

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 03:58:03 PM »
A few years back I found a sealed (AGM??) lawn tractor battery rated at 350CCA. Cost less than $50; no issues so far. If it had only made 3 yrs. would be less than the battery mart option!!! Bought at O'Reilly's. Not that it makes any difference but this was for a Jet Ski.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 04:16:28 PM »
A few years back I found a sealed (AGM??) lawn tractor battery rated at 350CCA. Cost less than $50; no issues so far. If it had only made 3 yrs. would be less than the battery mart option!!! Bought at O'Reilly's. Not that it makes any difference but this was for a Jet Ski.

That is an option. Not an AGM, but rather a SLA (sealed lead acid). I've used them when customers were "frugal".  :laugh: I'm not sure about cheaper in the long run, especially if it fails (as one did way back when I tried one) and leaves you stranded.

Here's a "budget" alternative to the Big Crank/Deka. I've used these in several customer bikes and reports are favorable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9JD7PG
Charlie

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 05:00:05 PM »
Thanks Charlie. FWIW, I had one of those chrome batteries fail on me unexpectedly. I bought one for my Lemans IV, and when it arrived the case was swollen, and leaking. They promptly sent out a replacement, which went tits up without warning after about a year on the LM.  I took the swollen one, and repaired the case with some epoxy, just for the heck of it,put it on the charger  and donated it to a buddy that  wanted it for a rat bike honda, . I think it worked  out okay for him! :laugh:

I think this sweet, cherry Convert is so nice, that it deserves a nice totally sealed battery that wont ever leak acid.
Rick Duarte

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 05:03:37 PM »
Thanks Charlie. FWIW, I had one of those chrome batteries fail on me unexpectedly. I bought one for my Lemans IV, and when it arrived the case was swollen, and leaking. They promptly sent out a replacement, which went tits up without warning after about a year on the LM.  I took the swollen one, and repaired the case with some epoxy, just for the heck of it,put it on the charger  and donated it to a buddy that  wanted it for a rat bike honda, . I think it worked  out okay for him! :laugh:

I think this sweet, cherry Convert is so nice, that it deserves a nice totally sealed battery that wont ever leak acid.
Rick Duarte

Must be that Arizona heat!  :wink:
Charlie

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2022, 09:51:05 PM »
Must be that Arizona heat!  :wink:

You may be right there Charlie. In the summer , the temperature in my garage is so hot, that I can turn off my water heater( located in garage) and have all the hot water you want for showers, etc. with the gas turned off. Its crazy hot!
Rick.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2022, 06:10:59 PM »
You may be right there Charlie. In the summer , the temperature in my garage is so hot, that I can turn off my water heater( located in garage) and have all the hot water you want for showers, etc. with the gas turned off. Its crazy hot!
Rick.

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here