Author Topic: Merged topics: 2007 Norge First ride review  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
Merged topics: 2007 Norge First ride review
« on: August 09, 2022, 05:16:10 PM »
Hi Folks,
Friday I became the proud owner of a 2007 Norge, silver in aspect.  Yesterday after work I took it for a ride up the canyon and have a lot of questions.  I am going to break them down separately, but here are my initial impressions.

All I have to compare it to is my 2000 BMW R1150GS.

I really miss the paddle blinkers.  I have pretty big hands, but it is a stretch to hit that blinking blinker button without taking my hand off the handle. 
The Norge is smaller of course, and very nimble.  Doing figure 8s in the parking lot is far easier.   
The Norge seems to be faster off the line.  A little easier to traffic optimize (here in Utah it is legal to sneak between two
rows of cars at the stop light).  So it squeezed between the cars' rear view mirrors easier.
The seat is more comfortable than the beemer.
I miss the gear selection indicator.  When I first got the GS I thought it was kind of superfluous, but now I see that I came to depend on it.  I have lost my internal counter somewhere along the way.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 02:50:00 PM by Ncdan »
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
First ride review question 1 tappets
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 05:18:39 PM »
On my 2007 Norge at around 5000 rpm there is a buzzing louder than the exhaust.  I am thinking that it is the tappets.  Is this normal?
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
First ride review question 2 heated handgrips
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 05:20:43 PM »
I can't find anything in the manual describing the operation of the heated handgrips.  Is it just one level, or do you get different levels by punching the button multiple times?  It would be helpful if there was a pilot light that said it was "on."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
Norge First ride review question 2 hot calves
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 05:25:10 PM »
This 2007 Norge is missing some of the tupperware.  The engine sump fairing, and the right and left fairings behind the cylinder heads are long gone.  I wasn't too worried about it because I have seen other Norges modified this way.

But my legs were roasting on the way down the canyon.  Is this a result of not having the right plastic installed? 
Or a sign that the engine is hotter than it should be?

thanks
Kaladin
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Wildguzzi.com

Norge First ride review question 2 hot calves
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 05:25:10 PM »

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: First ride review question 1 tappets
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 05:26:05 PM »
Buzzing, not clattering?  Look for something loose or vibrating metal to metal - exhaust heat shields, side/center stand springs, or even the license plate going harmonic with the engine rpm. 
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
2007 Norge First ride review outside temperature indicator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 05:33:05 PM »
Every time I get on it it reads 85F.  Is this a coincidence or a conspiracy?
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 05:34:26 PM »
It changes pitch with the engine speed. 
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Online DonT

• New Egg
Re: First ride review question 2 heated handgrips
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 05:35:19 PM »
There's three settings.  Each time you press the "convenient" button, - which you will never hit by mistake,  the setting changes.  You have to hold the button down for a much longer period of time to turn them on or off.  There's an icon, I think it looks like a heated grip that shows up on the right upper side of the dash / screen.  It is not that easy to see.  You should have plenty of time to figure it out before you need them. 

I still have all the plastic on my Norge (same vintage) and I don't find the bike hot.  In the current weather of over 90, I find everything is pretty hot.  On the bike, waiting at traffic lights gets uncomfortable. 

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 05:35:33 PM »
I chased that for a year.  It was the header clamp bolt rubbing up against the heat shield on my V85.  Drove me insane!

Valve clatter is normal and good.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:37:04 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
2007 Norge First ride review starting motor
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 05:36:26 PM »
Another thing not addressed by the manual.  When I push the starting button the starting motor keeps running when I stop pushing on it.  It seems to stop running only when the engine starts.  Is this normal?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 07:05:23 PM by Kaladin »
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2007 Norge First ride review starting motor
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 05:41:33 PM »
Sounds like the same engine start "cycle" that Ducati used for a few years in the early-mid 2000 models.  Push and release the start button.   Engine cranks until it starts or about 15 sec. then it gives up. 

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge First ride review question 2 hot calves
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 05:48:57 PM »
Some people report the bike running cooler for the rider with all of the plastic but I don’t remember it diverting much heat with all the plastic in place. Has a new map been installed on this bike? A custom map has helped some of the 4 valve engined Norges but my 07 still produces heat in hot humid weather with the current map.

The 8valve Norges run cooler and I believe it is because Guzzi relocated the oil cooler at the lower part of the engine as opposed to the knee level of the engine on the earlier models. Also, the 8v’s have a small fan behind the oil cooler which I assume is triggered at a particular engine temperature.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:50:25 PM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 05:56:34 PM »
This 2007 Norge is missing some of the tupperware.  The engine sump fairing, and the right and left fairings behind the cylinder heads are long gone.  I wasn't too worried about it because I have seen other Norges modified this way.

But my legs were roasting on the way down the canyon.  Is this a result of not having the right plastic installed? 
Or a sign that the engine is hotter than it should be?

thanks
Kaladin

What boots and pants were you wearing?  Thick leather boots and kevlar lined jeans with knee armor will protect you from that heat. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »
I bought my ‘07 new and took those bits off after 3 minutes.
I gave them to JD Gretz.

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 06:33:14 PM »
Yep. This is perfectly normal. Carry on.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 06:39:38 PM »
Yes.
They are supposed to, do you like the bike ?
Have you done the Startus mod and greased the dry bits ?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:41:02 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2007 Norge First ride review outside temperature indicator
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 06:42:17 PM »
Does it then adjust to the actual ambient ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2007 Norge First ride review
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 06:51:51 PM »
I jump from this

To this

A hell of a lot.
You are riding 2 different bikes and will see differences, naturally. I’ve no clue what you mean about the blinker switch, I reckon it’s just fine. I’ve had my Norge for a little while now, so maybe I’d forgotten how awkward it was.
I don’t think there is a gulf of difference in the comfort of the two, that 1150 GS is pretty darn good IMO as far as that goes, but has the personality of a wooden spoon.
As for the gear indicator…
I cannot conceive of ANY reason why an experienced motorcyclist would need to confirm he is in the right gear by looking at a number on the panel.
By example..
4th gear might be great for tooling down a flat level road at 40 mph, but entirely inappropriate for pulling out to pass, heavily loaded up a steep hill.
Just give the bike what it wants.
One exception I’ll concede, is you may be at 120 kph into a strong wind and the noise MAY reduce your ability to hear the exhaust note. Under those circumstances I have found myself still in 5 th, rarely, but I have done it.
Just a tap of the clutch lever and the lightest of swipe with my left toe and the issue is gone…

Congratulations on buying a good solid bike.
Ignore the lightweight BS about blinker switches, gear indicators and such. Get your bike in the shed, get yourself a lift and pull the rear bevelbox and swingarm.
Check the pivot races for grease and also the drive splines.
Do the Startus Interruptus mod…..There is a lot of info about both here on WG.
If it’s not fuelling perfectly, get a BEETLE map and learn to balance your own TB’s.
Get Guzzidiag.
Learn to do your own regular maintenance. I or anyone here who has one will help you through any and everything.
Mine has had 10 major and 20 minor services in it’s lifetime and it runs perfectly.

That bike in the top shot is 1,500 km short of 200,000 and that will be put right at Lake Como in 4 weeks.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 06:36:18 AM by Huzo »

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 07:04:32 PM »
Yes, I have been bragging about the BMW to my Harley riding brothers for years, and they all say, then why the MG?  I'm now trying to figure it out for myself.  It looks like my wife is being less vocal about one of the four of us having to leave, so I might be able to keep both bikes.

I'm glad to see that I am in good company, though I wish I had your red one than my silver one. . .
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 07:07:19 PM »
I bled the brakes and the clutch before I drove it.  Now I have to explore the forums to find out what to do next.  I hear you say startus and grease.  I'll look it up.
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 07:09:34 PM »
What boots and pants were you wearing?  Thick leather boots and kevlar lined jeans with knee armor will protect you from that heat.

I had my motorcycle jacket on, but dress slacks and shoes.  Asbestos trousers are really required?
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 07:12:12 PM »
I bought my ‘07 new and took those bits off after 3 minutes.
I gave them to JD Gretz.

OK, thanks for the vote of confidence.  I was hoping that I wouldn't have to spend a couple thousand dollars for replacement tupperware trying to reduce the hot leg issue
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2022, 07:16:27 PM »
Yes, I have been bragging about the BMW to my Harley riding brothers for years, and they all say, then why the MG?  I'm now trying to figure it out for myself.  It looks like my wife is being less vocal about one of the four of us having to leave, so I might be able to keep both bikes.

I'm glad to see that I am in good company, though I wish I had your red one than my silver one. . .
Mate…
It’s true that the red ones are nice and I would not change it, but here’s the thing…
Don’t lament what your bike is not, just service it inside out and ride the bastard. Get it dirty, clean it and ride it again…and again….and…..the silver ones are damn nice.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2022, 07:20:30 PM »
I bled the brakes and the clutch before I drove it.  Now I have to explore the forums to find out what to do next.  I hear you say startus and grease.  I'll look it up.
Well done on the clutch and brake bleed. They are hard on clutch fluid. I do mine every 20,000 k
Same with the front forks. Remove them, empty and flush then in with the new fluid. That red bike is still on it’s original seals.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2022, 07:25:42 PM »
dress slacks and shoes.
Stop riding in dress shoes and slacks mate.
Your knee caps will be smeared into the stones on the road, mixed with the sinews and red meat from what used to be your legs.
You bought your Norge to ride it mate, don’t end up in a wheelchair if you can avoid it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:51:14 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2022, 07:31:27 PM »
There's three settings.  Each time you press the "convenient" button, - which you will never hit by mistake,  the setting changes.  You have to hold the button down for a much longer period of time to turn them on or off.  There's an icon, I think it looks like a heated grip that shows up on the right upper side of the dash / screen.  It is not that easy to see.  You should have plenty of time to figure it out before you need them. 

I still have all the plastic on my Norge (same vintage) and I don't find the bike hot.  In the current weather of over 90, I find everything is pretty hot.  On the bike, waiting at traffic lights gets uncomfortable.
Nice at Nordkapp though… :wink:

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2022, 07:33:32 PM »
I had my motorcycle jacket on, but dress slacks and shoes.  Asbestos trousers are really required?

:popcorn:
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2022, 07:34:19 PM »
I have bumped a post called “Norge service schedule”
It’s what I do for mine.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2022, 07:34:55 PM »
Might I suggest you put your 'first ride comments in ONE post?
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 07:38:26 PM »
Yes the bike does provide ample heating to legs. Especially on the opposite side from a good side breez, long rides on hot humid days often leave one leg or the other red. I always have my Aero Stitch pants on and mid calve ridding boots. Above the boot and below the knee get hot. Noticeably hotter than when I ride my EV in similar conditions. But the ride is always so worth it. On a side note the heat off a Norge is nothing compared to the old Honda Valkre.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here