Author Topic: NGC - shipping a walk behind lawn mower  (Read 1902 times)

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
NGC - shipping a walk behind lawn mower
« on: September 18, 2020, 06:27:20 PM »
Found a walk behind mower I like near Lexington, KY, but that is almost an 8 hour drive from me in Lynchburg, VA.

Any ideas on shipping or delivery?

It has a sulky, so if I could get a ride there, I could always drive it back......
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 06:29:20 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC - shipping a walk behind lawn mower
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 08:21:24 PM »
Found a walk behind mower I like near Lexington, KY, but that is almost an 8 hour drive from me in Lynchburg, VA.

Any ideas on shipping or delivery?

It has a sulky, so if I could get a ride there, I could always drive it back......

Probably cost more to ship than it's worth!   People don't normally go looking for lawnmowers 400 miles away ...

I sold a Toro 22 HP 62" walk-behind with a "velke", the one-wheeled sulky that rides between your feet.

Well, I TRIED to sell it.   Had it on Craigslist, and every broke wannabe landscape guy was calling wanting to trade livestock or an old car for it, or wanted to give me $500 and he'd pay me the rest once he started working and making money.

About the time I gave back a $500 deposit to yet another guy, my son bought a house with a 5 acre yard and he got it ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 07:23:05 AM »
Probably cost more to ship than it's worth!   People don't normally go looking for lawnmowers 400 miles away ...

I sold a Toro 22 HP 62" walk-behind with a "velke", the one-wheeled sulky that rides between your feet.

Well, I TRIED to sell it.   Had it on Craigslist, and every broke wannabe landscape guy was calling wanting to trade livestock or an old car for it, or wanted to give me $500 and he'd pay me the rest once he started working and making money.

About the time I gave back a $500 deposit to yet another guy, my son bought a house with a 5 acre yard and he got it ....

Lannis

Oh you would be surprised!!  Ive been in the garden tractor hobby for about 20 years...   Its a crazy world. Ive taken 4-5 hour trips myself for parts, or tractors.  Some times buyers can be pretty flaky ill admit.. 
Paul B

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 07:42:04 AM »
Ya got me beat. I once drove 2 1/2 hours to buy a rusted Cub Cadet snowblower attachment because I wanted the shaft drive parts.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 07:42:04 AM »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 08:38:53 AM »
I bought a new Husqvarna walk behind mower a few years ago, and it had a Honda engine?!

I guess Husq could buy Honda engines for less $ than they could build them, but if I was a Husq employee I wouldn't be happy.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 08:58:32 AM »
Oh you would be surprised!!  Ive been in the garden tractor hobby for about 20 years...   Its a crazy world. Ive taken 4-5 hour trips myself for parts, or tractors.  Some times buyers can be pretty flaky ill admit..

Now as a HOBBY, I can see doing anything like that.   My Dad bought a David Bradley two-wheeled tractor with a full set of implements in 1954, and we used it until 2012, when we sold our family farm.   I love to see those things out working, plowing ... the local chain-saw shop has a collection of chain saws from the 1940s on up - old Poulans when Poulan was a real saw and not a Chinese knock-off, some of the first Stihls, McCulloughs.

I'm really thinking more of lawn mowers for mowing lawns ... unless it's a collector piece, there's always a deal close to home ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »
I bought a new Husqvarna walk behind mower a few years ago, and it had a Honda engine?!

I guess Husq could buy Honda engines for less $ than they could build them, but if I was a Husq employee I wouldn't be happy.

All there mowers use engines from the big manufactures.. Brigs, Kohler, or honda mostly. Really pretty much ALL lawn care stuff buy any manufacture bigger then a weed wacker do.
Paul B

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »
Now as a HOBBY, I can see doing anything like that.   My Dad bought a David Bradley two-wheeled tractor with a full set of implements in 1954, and we used it until 2012, when we sold our family farm.   I love to see those things out working, plowing ... the local chain-saw shop has a collection of chain saws from the 1940s on up - old Poulans when Poulan was a real saw and not a Chinese knock-off, some of the first Stihls, McCulloughs.

I'm really thinking more of lawn mowers for mowing lawns ... unless it's a collector piece, there's always a deal close to home ...

Lannis

Ya, mostly Hobby stuff...  but some of those guys are into some strange stuff that most of us would just toss away!!  Im pretty much stepping out of the hobby myself...  I had a lot!!  Gravelys, JD's, Case/ingersoll mostly.. rebuilt a old 8N tractor..  Still have some but thinning the herd
Paul B

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 09:50:05 AM »
Drive and get it.  One motel bill and a one way rental charge for a Uhaul.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 09:50:48 AM »
True enough gents. 

When it comes to old crap, motorcycles, lawn mowers, tractors, guns, all the really knowledgable collectors "know" nothing made after they were old enough to shave is any good.

Probably has more to do with the age of the shopper than the age of the merchandise.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 09:53:04 AM »
Drive and get it.  One motel bill and a one way rental charge for a Uhaul.

It'll fit in the back of my truck, and I'm that old yet that I can't drive 17 hours in a day.

Just old enough that I don't look forward to it.

Of course, 30 minutes after I get home with it, there will be the same thing in better shape, cheaper, 15 minutes away............
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:54:47 AM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
Of course, 30 minutes after I get home with it, there will be the same thing in better shape, cheaper, 15 minutes away............

"cleaning out the garage. FREE. Come get it.."  :grin:
At least that is what happens to me right after I *buy* something I've been looking for.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 04:47:32 PM »
Yeah....  I hear you Chuck!

The mower I'm interested in is too far away, not a great price, would hate to make the drive and then see it in person and realize the picture was taken 10 years ago, and not something I really need to get right now.

Plus, it's winter coming up, and as we all "know," that's when the "real deals" come out!!!!!

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline harley21

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 08:44:02 AM »
Everyone is right, it is so hard to move the mover or any heavy machinery. Since you'd be loading either a container or truck, the vendor wouldn't know what's in it. You have the key. The danger in loading anything with combustible or flammable fluids in a closed space is the potential damage that can be caused by fire or fumes. Even if these mowers don't have gasoline in it, purge the tank by opening the cap several days before moving otherwise everything inside has the potential of absorbing the smell. Disconnect or remove the spark plugs and batteries from any electronics stored in the same container. PODS users normally put 3000-5000 lbs. in the standard unit. The smallest POD is probably more room than you need based on your dimensions and description of items you plan to ship

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here